It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Psychiatric Association pushes for electroshock therapy for children and teens

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I'd certainly support bio-feedback over ECT any day, or night.

I don't know about how hyperbolic the source was . . . imho . . . the whole field has plenty of justification to be fiercely forceful about the issues.

imho, maybe 1% of those subjected to ECT might justifiably benefit. My guesstimate.

I'm not totally absolutist about it but darn close.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

They base positive results to electroshock therapy mostly upon what the recipients of said "therapy" report afterward. So they torture them, and then these folks that have been tortured say that they feel better so they won't be tortured anymore. See how this works?

I was in a psych ward in my teens (in the 90's) and they used electroshock therapy, and those people were severely impaired. They also used it as a threat so that we would behave.

Now, somewhat ironically, I am weeks away from a bachelors in psychology, and yes there is a push to reinstitute electroshock therapy (although, it never really went away).

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

They base positive results to electroshock therapy mostly upon what the recipients of said "therapy" report afterward. So they torture them, and then these folks that have been tortured say that they feel better so they won't be tortured anymore. See how this works?

I was in a psych ward in my teens (in the 90's) and they used electroshock therapy, and those people were severely impaired. They also used it as a threat so that we would behave.

Now, somewhat ironically, I am weeks away from a bachelors in psychology, and yes there is a push to reinstitute electroshock therapy (although, it never really went away).

I suspect you are far more right far more often than the medical profession would ever like to admit.

Congrats on your studies! Full steam ahead.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

on children and adolescents resistant to current therapies and drugs. The treatment, an archaic technique invented in the 1930s, sends jolts of electricity

Seeing this is so "beneficial" as treatment, all Psychiatrist should get a dose upon graduation - without anesthesia

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I haven't read this whole thread yet but the reason I am here is because my husband was just certified by MHFA Canada; Mental Health First Aid course and they were promoting EST as well as drugs for mental patients. He has a son who is schizophrenic and has been in and out of the system for years. Now they want to give him shock therapy. Drugs and invasive treatments instead of maybe stop the junk food and a good therapist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join