It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're a Miner back in the 1700's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You're a gold miner back in the 1700's. You laid a claim and started digging. You found a gold vain. But then you had a cave in. You barely made it out of the cave alive. And it took a long time to get out. So a bit of time goes by. You're running low on what gold dust you have left. You're running low on food and supplies. So you're thinking about maybe trying again for the gold vain. You know roughly where it is. You think you could probably get to it. And if you could you figure if you could mine it you likely would be able to get enough gold to retire on, and quickly.

So would you try for it again, knowing there is eminent danger of another cave in? And if there was a cave in there is the chance that you could die. But the alternative is that if you don't try then you know you'll starve. And with no other good alternatives or jobs available you really have no other solid ways to make a living. You're a miner and you know mining, it's what you're good at. So do you go for it again and try to mitigate the risks, or do you sit around and starve? Or something else?

What would you do???

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Go for it. If I found it once, I could find it again. You have to take risks in order to succeed.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kentuckymama

I suppose you could die slowly starving or you die quickly in a cave in. so it's better to die quickly, if you're gonna die. But if you get to it then you might be able to have a good life after that, if it works out.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

You're a Miner back in the 1700's

Nuh uh!

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Have a great weekend!

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yeah, I'd take quick death/get rich over slow death by starvation any day.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In the 1700's i would have nothing else to do, so i would chop some tree's and start digging while adding wooden support...

I would get the gold, then spend most of it on women, music and booze, the rest i would spend on something pointless

edit on 14-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Okay, now I've changed my mind. I will allow you to find the gold, then spend the money on me.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
You're a gold miner back in the 1700's. You laid a claim and started digging. You found a gold vain. But then you had a cave in. You barely made it out of the cave alive. And it took a long time to get out. So a bit of time goes by. You're running low on what gold dust you have left. You're running low on food and supplies. So you're thinking about maybe trying again for the gold vain. You know roughly where it is. You think you could probably get to it. And if you could you figure if you could mine it you likely would be able to get enough gold to retire on, and quickly.

So would you try for it again, knowing there is eminent danger of another cave in? And if there was a cave in there is the chance that you could die. But the alternative is that if you don't try then you know you'll starve. And with no other good alternatives or jobs available you really have no other solid ways to make a living. You're a miner and you know mining, it's what you're good at. So do you go for it again and try to mitigate the risks, or do you sit around and starve? Or something else?

What would you do???

Well, chances are, if it took me a long time to get out of the cave, likely I know exactly how to get back to the mother load. Unless I was badly injured, I wouldn't have wasted time clearing away a new path, and trying to stabilize the cave against another cave in. If I was down to only dust left and few supplies, best hope I know how to hunt and forage, because really...who goes out into the wild and doesn't have some basic knowledge in the 1700's?
Here's hoping I strike it rich or die trying.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Your question has been answered in the 1849 Gold Rush. People believed, people searched, won or lost, lived well afterwards or died searching.

Some realized it was hopeless and quit, others never stopped searching, stayed poor or hit the "motherload" and became rich.

Those miners are still out there today...

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I already tried that once in life, i don't think i could do it again, but i will buy you a drink

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

But, but, but.......I can cook!

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
DP
edit on KAmerica/Chicago5310000002016-05-14T13:28:45-05:00k16Maypm by Kentuckymama because: Double post

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

The 1700 's ?

That's late for mining. Mining in Britain began in The Bronze Age.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

So can i...But i will let you cook while i dig, the gold is still mine though

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Deal. You do all the hard work. I'll cook and tell you how great you're doing.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Excellent... I'll dig and tell you how great of a cook you are, nom nom..

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I KNOW gold and Love of gold makes One "vain" but if I'm looking for gold I'll do so in a 'vein'...

Not to be confused by the Carly Simon chart-topper "You're So Vain"...

Enjoy Carly.. And start digging.

www.youtube.com...

namaste

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Giving us such great songs as oh my darling Clementine.
(Not Carly)
In a canyon a cavern excavating for a mine.
Dwelt a miner forty niner
And his daughter Clementine....

Yes go back. No one gets out of here alive.
edit on 5142016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
ya well ok then

top topics

join