It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox is slow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

thanks for that. not sure what sync is but I uninstalled, restart and re install with little improvement

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Did you remove the registry entries as well? They need to go, as they hold data and may be the problem.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
a reply to: chr0naut

thanks for that. not sure what sync is but I uninstalled, restart and re install with little improvement

Sync is a thing where all your preferences get uploaded into the cloud.

The idea is that you can roam between devices and 'all your stuff' is there and the way you like it. This is really good, but if the issue is caused by a FireFox plugin, it will get auto-reinstalled as soon as you log-in (Sync requires a user name - usually an e-mail address - and a password).

Sync also takes time and installs stuff a while after you log in, so FireFox might be initially fast, then 30 seconds later, may install the bad plugin or config and suddenly it crawls.

Here's a Wikipedia link about FireFox sync.

Also, do you open a lot of tabs while browsing? That can slow things, especially if you are accessing streamed media like YouTube or a webpage that posts updates frequently.

I try and keep my open tab count below five.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
Also, do you open a lot of tabs while browsing? That can slow things

I don't even use tabs and never have. They horridly slow the browser down. Even on the fastest machine. Every page is opened in a new window. No browser slow-down.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
If you change your DNS you might want to use this link:

www.opennicproject.org...

What is OpenNIC?

OpenNIC is a user controlled Network Information Center offering a democratic and non-national alternative to the traditional Top-Level Domain registries.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1984hasarrived
a reply to: Azureblue

Did you remove the registry entries as well? They need to go, as they hold data and may be the problem.

yes, I did. I use Iobit uninstaller, it has a facility whereby it searchers around for leftovers the deletes them too. Started off very good when it came out but like most things these days it slowly turns to ...t after a while with ever more 'improvements.'

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hi Azureblue, did you fix your problem? If security tool cannot find anything, the slow Firefox issue can be caused by an adware which is not regarded as a virus(which determine any antivirus tools cannot detect it), but it is nasty. Check your firefox extension location to see if there are any suspicious. a reply to: Azureblue
If not, I was just strolling on the Internet and found this for you. May give you some ideas. Good luck!
Check:www.fastremovevirus.com...
edit on 16-6-2016 by Magicpink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magicpink
Hi Azureblue, did you fix your problem? If security tool cannot find anything, the slow Firefox issue can be caused by an adware which is not regarded as a virus(which determine any antivirus tools cannot detect it), but it is nasty. Check your firefox extension location to see if there are any suspicious. a reply to: Azureblue
If not, I was just strolling on the Internet and found this for you. May give you some ideas. Good luck!
Check:www.fastremovevirus.com...

Hi Magicpink, Not really but I have a routine now where I use CC Cleaner, then I use Browser Repair Tool, then I clean the DNS manually, then go into Firefox privacy setting and clear all current history even though I have it set on Never Remember History and then I do a restart. Long winded but it works.

Sometimes this this will last a week or two then it will just crap itself again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join