It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox is slow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I run windows 7 Home Edition on a PC. Firefox is my only search tool.

It takes only about two minutes of net time use to slow again after manually cleaning the DNS through the CMD function. After cleaning the DNS ot goes like a rocket for about 2 minutes. This is after clearing all current history and choosing the "never remember history' settings in Firefox and using Browser Repair Tool to clean firefox every 4-5 forays into the net.

This has been happening for some time. The types of sites makes no difference.

Malwayre bytes finds nothing
Avast finds nothing
advanced system care finds nothing
superanto spyware finds nothing
AVG finds nothing
and one or two other things find nothing

Are there any addons that are known to cause this?

thanks

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

FF has been slow for the last 3 years. I got rid of it. Your best choices are Chrome, Maxthon or Microsoft Edge. If you have more advanced skills , maybe Ubuntu. I hear good things about Brave, but haven't tried it yet.

I have been using Maxthon almost exclusively for a year.
edit on 14-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
so it works for a few mins after flushing the dns cache, that should have zero affect on the average user.

check your dns settings to make sure they're either using your isp's dns servers or point them at googles dns servers, there has been times where routers have been hijacked and thus used to point websites to naughty sites so make sure the routers settings are correct.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

FF has been slow for the last 3 years. I got rid of it. Your best choices are Chrome, Maxthon or Microsoft Edge. If you have more advanced skills , maybe Ubuntu. I hear good things about Brave, but haven't tried it yet.

I didn't know Ubuntu (a Linux based OS) was also a browser..

FF has actually gotten better, and has had its memory leaks fixed, unlike Chrome.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Yeah, Maxthon on a PC is very cool - very popular with tech guys from my experience.

I particularly like the resource (?) sniffer - which strangely it does not have in the Mac or Linux flavours.

If you want to stay with FF, you might want to try creating a new profile.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Do this, uninstall Firefox and get Chrome and don't look back. I have identical setup to you and had the same issues, Mozilla is dead !.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Hard to know where the slowdown is coming from.

I would try turning off Firefox sync. The completely uninstalling Firefox, deleting all its folders and removing its registry entries (you could use the CCleaner registry scan).

Ensure there is no malware but some of the anti-malware software. I'd recommend RKill, TDSSKiller, AdwCleaner and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), but download them from the BleepingComputer site. I'd then run them, one at a time, and afterwards, remove the traces of them all with Delfix (also downloadable from BleepingComputer).

Then reinstall FireFox (without synchronizing) and do a bit of browsing around. See if you still get the slow down. If you don't, try re-synchronizing FireFox.

Then if problems return, uninstall all the plug-ins again until performance improves. If the problems don't return, then all good!

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
so it works for a few mins after flushing the dns cache, that should have zero affect on the average user.

check your dns settings to make sure they're either using your isp's dns servers or point them at googles dns servers, there has been times where routers have been hijacked and thus used to point websites to naughty sites so make sure the routers settings are correct.

That sounds like a goer, but just how do i go about that.
thanks.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Hard to know where the slowdown is coming from.

I would try turning off Firefox sync. The completely uninstalling Firefox, deleting all its folders and removing its registry entries (you could use the CCleaner registry scan).

Ensure there is no malware but some of the anti-malware software. I'd recommend RKill, TDSSKiller, AdwCleaner and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), but download them from the BleepingComputer site. I'd then run them, one at a time, and afterwards, remove the traces of them all with Delfix (also downloadable from BleepingComputer).

tI will do that, thanks

Then reinstall FireFox (without synchronizing) and do a bit of browsing around. See if you still get the slow down. If you don't, try re-synchronizing FireFox.

Then if problems return, uninstall all the plug-ins again until performance improves. If the problems don't return, then all good!

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1984hasarrived
Yeah, Maxthon on a PC is very cool - very popular with tech guys from my experience.

I particularly like the resource (?) sniffer - which strangely it does not have in the Mac or Linux flavours.

If you want to stay with FF, you might want to try creating a new profile.

thanks, I keep that in mind.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
Do this, uninstall Firefox and get Chrome and don't look back. I have identical setup to you and had the same issues, Mozilla is dead !.

I've not used it before but so I spose i should try it but Jimstone says Chrome is almost as bad as win 10 for transparency by outsiders.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

What type of Hard Drive are you using and how many Ad-Ons do you have ? , I found Firefox to be slow to load until I installed an SSD.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

It's a good idea to run task manager and check how resource hungry FF is. It might be something else using the memory and FF taking the hit and becoming laggy. From experience, FF used to get heavy and bloated and would start taking longer to load page views.

The task manager should give you an idea if your comp is getting older and might benefit from extra memory as gortex says.

Like Chrono says, completely uninstalling it and reinstalling usually works for me. You can save your bookmarks as .json file and put them back. Strange as it sounds, losing endless bookmarks is a liberating thing! I've got probably 150 bookmarks and ~130 have never been visited since.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

Malwayre bytes finds nothing
Avast finds nothing
advanced system care finds nothing
superanto spyware finds nothing
AVG finds nothing
and one or two other things find nothing

I bet that if you dumped all that crap, and just kept the malwarebytes (I use Wisecare365 for everything else) you would find big difference. I had CCleaner, dumped it also!
Moves much better.
Not really much faster, but smoother, cleaner and a bit faster.
Dump redundant programs.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hey you guys.....Firefox is still only a 32 bit application . Running on 64 bit OS'es

This may help

8 hacks to make Firefox ridiculously fast

Peace
edit on 5/14/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

There is a 64-bit version now, I have run it for a while now and noticed it does perform better on a 64 bit OS.
filehippo.com...

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
First, turn off hardware acceleration under options>advanced.
Then, check your addons for anything you didn't put there under add-ons>extensions.

If you have anything by AVG on your computer, you're just exacerbating your problems. That's what it does best.

This site has been optimized for use with Chrome, and Firefox doesn't always display every page correctly, but my Firefox is almost as fast as my Chrome. Your problems with Firefox are likely just a symptom of the real issue.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: reldra

I didn't know Ubuntu (a Linux based OS) was also a browser..

FF has actually gotten better, and has had its memory leaks fixed, unlike Chrome.

That is why I said 'if you have more advanced skills'. You would change your operating system first.

For online gaming, FF , as of just last week was laggy within minutes.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Firefox is not and has never been slow. As was mentioned before, turn off "Hardware Acceleration". Also, always have other browsers installed to test and make sure you're not having internet issues or specific browser issues.

There was a time when my internet was super-slow on only certain sites. Turned out my ISP was having DNS server issues. Pointing my router to Google's DNS servers or Open DNS servers cured that issue until my ISP fixed the problem.

Furthermore, some add-on's can cause FF issues if they are not optimized or updated properly along with FF. To see if an add-on is causing the issue, you can start FF in safe-mode by clicking the menu button in the upper-right corner, then the Help button (question mark at the bottom), then "Restart with Add-ons Disabled".

If FF works fine in safe-mode, then an add-on is causing your problem. What you can do is create a new profile, then install your add-ons one at a time, use FF for a bit, then install one more add-on, etc., until you find which one is causing the problem.

You can follow this link to see how to create and manage FF profiles:

support.mozilla.org...

There are a number of things that can cause FF to slow down, but Firefox itself is not and has never been slow.

Now I will say that as far as running HTML5 and Flash videos, Chrome uses much less resources out of all the top browsers.

edit on 14-5-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It's a good idea to run task manager and check how resource hungry FF is. It might be something else using the memory and FF taking the hit and becoming laggy. From experience, FF used to get heavy and bloated and would start taking longer to load page views.

The task manager should give you an idea if your comp is getting older and might benefit from extra memory as gortex says.

Like Chrono says, completely uninstalling it and reinstalling usually works for me. You can save your bookmarks as .json file and put them back. Strange as it sounds, losing endless bookmarks is a liberating thing! I've got probably 150 bookmarks and ~130 have never been visited since.

thanks for the help, will do that.

and I through 12 bookmarks was a lot

top topics

<<   2 >>

join