It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Islamophobia Turns Violent: The 2016 U.S. Presidential Elections (Georgetown U report)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
So, in response to the plethora of perpetual anti-Islamic and Islamophobic BS on ATS (and in the country), I'd like to offer some perspective.

First, this is America. We pride ourselves on being inclusive. This is, in fact, the foundation of our country: a melting pot, a mixture of different peoples of different backgrounds, faiths, ethnic and social cultures, and beliefs, where people could be free to live, practice, maintain, and hold on to those parts of their lifestyles that are dear to them without fear of harm or persecution. Even though many people in our past (Natives, Hispanics, Irish, German, Blacks, etc) have been intimidated and harassed due to their differences and beliefs, and our own general aversion to differences and change, we have overcome many things, largely because our *principles* are the same, and many level and humanist minded people have fought for this, both in government, on the streets—and in war (whether the reasons for war were just or not is irrelevant, it is the *idea*). Because that is America.

Here we have a report from Georgetown University dealing with incidents of Islamophobic violence during this (2015-2016) election cycle. The report is 75 pages (no, I have not read it yet), but highlights are below.

This report highlights trends and patterns surrounding Islamophobia since the start of the 2016 U.S. presidential election cycle. It does so in the broader context of hatred, violence and social hostilities confronting Muslims as a minority faith group in contemporary America and with a particular focus on acts and threats of violence.

Since 2015, the Bridge Initiative has been chronicling Islamophobic political rhetoric by each presidential candidate irrespective of his or her party affiliation while finding Republican candidates to be the worst offenders to date. In this publication, however, we aim to contextualize such statements nationally and internationally while also exploring potentially violent effects.

Based upon our analysis, the following observations are noteworthy:

* During the course of 2015, there were approximately 174 reported incidents of anti-Muslim violence and vandalism, including: 12 murders; 29 physical assaults; 50 threats against persons or institutions; 54 acts of vandalism or destruction of property; 8 arsons; and 9 shootings or bombings, among other incidents.

* It corresponded with an international development: the Syrian refugee crisis. The deepening crises dominated news media headlines in the U.S. and Europe potentially highlighting the media impact on political discourse.

* Children and youth – as young as 12 years old – were among those responsible for acts and threats of anti-Muslim violence.

* As Mr. Trump called for shutting down mosques in the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks and the mass shootings in San Bernardino, California in December 2015, anti-Muslim attacks initially tripled with nearly half of those attacks directed against mosques.

* Anti-Muslim attacks surged once more in December 2015. There were 53 total attacks that month, 17 of which targeted mosques and Islamic schools and 5 of which targeted Muslim homes. By comparison, when the presidential election season began just 9 months earlier, there were only 2 anti-Muslim attacks. Attacks on Muslims during this month constitute approximately 1/3 of all attacks last year. In fact, in December 2015, anti-Muslim attacks occurred almost daily and often multiple times a day.
****all emphases from original
*****there are other highlights at the highlights/summary link below

Yes, there are Muslim extremists—terrorists—who want to harm America as much as possible, and they will pretty much do anything they can do so, because they are cowards, they do not fight using conventional warfare, and they normally wear no uniforms.

That is NOT a reason to inflict any kind of damage—emotional or physical—on the millions Muslims who simply, like all of us (white/black/etc christian, or otherwise, Americans), want to live their lives as free from harm as possible.

WE** are the ones harming them. They come wanting something better, and WE are the ones doing the harm. We're too brainwashed and conditioned to openly accept something different: because we're afraid of differences. And those differences are what is being used to further the agenda, using us as pawns.

The current amount of rhetoric, actions, intolerance, the crap we hear politicians, pundits, radio hosts, friends, co-workers, family members—the majority them republican—that we're bombarded with, and what they say, just adds to the tension and it DOES NOT HELP. It is making things worse and it's trying to divide us more than we already are. You*** keep hearing something over and over and you start to believe it, if you have no other available information.

We should not let those who want to harm us prevent us from helping—and being inclusive toward—Muslims (or dark skinned people) in general. Or from being good people in general, regardless if they're "different." They should not suffer because there are extremists who *claim* the same religion.

Wake up people.

We are better than that.

End note: I do not intend for this to turn into a "but but Muslims are bad and make me nervous let's ban then, mkay" thread. This is about something real that is happening that is affecting people who are here trying to live a decent life...

Footnotes:
**We simply means the average American.
*** A general "you," no one specific
****original emphases

*****Link to Summary/highlights
Link to pdf report (automatic download upon click)
edit on Sat May 14 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link for OP

+2 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Did it happen to mention anything about Muslim rads crashing aircraft into buildings? Folks have to admit that this historic trauma may have some effect on the collective mental psych.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Since I haven't read all 75 pages I do not know, but I am sure that event did indeed have a negative influence on the nation's psyche regarding Muslims.

That's part of the problem, using one event by a few radicals to define an entire people.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Islam sucks

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Well no , I was simply using the penult event and being sarcastic.

What we really need to worry about is the fact that A) reports of in the know Muslims reporting potential danger events are real small. B) the constant and steady barrage of Muslim apologists/phobia hound dogs on the decision making and common sense proses of westerners C) the removal of Muslim violence form it context and efforts to make it unusable in a fair and round evaluation of Muslims in general and same relationship to Muslim fanatics and the culture hosting them

+19 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
the US is inclusive IF YOU ACTUALLY TRY TO BECOME A AMERICAN. Not if you come here expecting US to change to suit you.

+13 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
How about, umm, Islamic violence itself? How about how many Muslims think jihad is Okay? How about how many Muslims think we ought to implement Sharia law HERE? Anything about strapping on a suicide vest and exploding it on a bus full of children, thus getting yourself into Heaven and obtaining the services of 72 black-eyed virgins? How about Burkhas for women, and, oh, women don't get to drive.

Rather than discuss the horrors of Islamophobia, how about taking about Islamic phobia of our own culture? How about talking about Islamic pedophilia? How about talking about Islamic suppression of women? How about talking about Islamic "honor" killings? How about turning public, tax-supported universities into "safe places" for Muslims by allowing separate entrances for women?

I'm all for living and let live. The only problem with this is that Muslims do not reciprocate the idea.

+2 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Did it happen to mention anything about Muslim rads crashing aircraft into buildings? Folks have to admit that this historic trauma may have some effect on the collective mental psych.

The only historic trauma from that moment is implementing the Patriot Act under false pretenses.

From OP:

That is NOT a reason to inflict any kind of damage—emotional or physical—on the millions Muslims who simply, like all of us (white/black/etc christian, or otherwise, Americans), want to live their lives as free from harm as possible.

Agreed....but it does warrant re-thinking current immigration policy, unless of course you prefer the Host Nation to just turn a blind eye so they can set a good example - which in reality they would actually be rewarding bad behavior. Kinda like if I were to Star and Flag this thread...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
the US is inclusive IF YOU ACTUALLY TRY TO BECOME A AMERICAN. Not if you come here expecting US to change to suit you.

The majority of them don't. Look beyond your own biases.

Can they not become American or appreciate America while still retaining their identity as Muslims and their faith, as other peoples have done?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

I'm all for living and let live. The only problem with this is that Muslims do not reciprocate the idea.

Le sigh.

Condemning all Muslims, exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you for being part of the problem.

ETA: This is not about Islam as a religion, the practices or beliefs thereof, or how it is different from American or western-christian ideals. This is about accepting different people who come to America wanting something better and NOT condemning all of them because some. So stop stereotyping and lumping them all together.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: yuppa

The majority of them don't. Look beyond your own biases.

Can they not become American or appreciate America while still retaining their identity as Muslims and their faith, as other peoples have done?

Integration requires change. if they refuse to integrate they are refusing to abide by th esam erules all immigrants have to do. Sure they can remain muslims BUT they have to swear loyalty to their new culture and drop loyalty to their old country. Their faiths laws and practices have to come second to the laws of this nation. Sharia law will not be accepted over th e constitution,and thats a deal breaker for most Islamic worshippers.

+2 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Islam is not compatible. I do not have to accept their belief. You can't make me!
edit on 5/13/2016 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Star and flag for you. I've seen a phethora of anti Muslim threads this week and it is absolutely ridiculous. 99.5% of Muslims want nothing more than to give their children a better life. I know many Muslims in my city and they are excited for the opportunities the west is giving their daughters and mothers that they didn't have back home.

I haven't had any experience of Muslims trying to change our culture or bring sharia law. People need to stop letting fear and ignorance rule them and learn more about the people they are afraid of.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

edit on 5/13/2016 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I figured you would go the sharia argument route eventually, since it's a convenient talking point.

They can integrate and still retain their culture without trying to change US law or policy, which most of them do.

And most of them do not "retain loyalty to their home country" over US loyalty.

They want a better life and they want to remain Muslim. Which they do. Then, however, intolerant American jerkoffs start in with the BS like you have, which is what this thread addresses.

Come off it.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well, I definitely don't advocate hate crimes or crimes against any group at all.

I do think that there is a taboo against critizing Islam by labeling such criticisms as "colonialist" or "Islamophobic" or "racist." This in turns drives the divide between western and Islamic culture. After all, Western culture can be endlessly slammed as the root of all evil by every group, but if someone in the west criticizes the religion/culture of Islam then they are the worst person ever and an Islamophobe.

For instance, as a western woman I see the basic Islamic culture and religion as horribly misogynistic. But just for that statement, even if I present evidence of it, I will be labeled as a racist Islamophobe. In fact, on forums such as this I have been, just for pointing out the terrible treatment of women in Islamic cultures.

And of course the double standard when it comes to the way we talk about Christianity and Islam. For some Christianity is evil, and its OK to mock Jesus and all that, but making fun of Islam/Muslims and drawing Mohammed will cause a riot. I'm not even Christian and I can see it.

I think there would be less hate and more acceptance if Muslims were just treated like everyone. But there is a feeling that they are made to be idols of diversity and are somehow more precious and pure and can't be touched unlike whites/Christians/Westerners.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Current immigration policy seems to be working fine.

Therefore, I don't see a problem with it.

+3 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

We're too brainwashed and conditioned to openly accept something different

I disagree, Islam is submission and a way of life, one branch being the religious aspect - it is an all encompassing ethos to live by.

In this regard, for many non-Muslims to accept this would by virtue of that fact, also mean that they would have to tolerate and maybe even submit to aspects of Islam which are incompatible with entrenched western values - a fundamental being the freedom to not practice religion.

IMO, Islamophobia is a label applied as a means of controlling opposition to the apparent forced acceptance of something many folks simply do not want, and when those voices are ignored by political representatives matters will take their natural course.

Many people feel Islam is a threat to their way of life because it is as much a religion as it is a political and social movement with massive internal issues and no clear authority.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: BestinShow

Current immigration policy seems to be working fine.

Therefore, I don't see a problem with it.

Lol, too bad. It's gonna get harder for everyone that wants to live in the land of milk and honey, where the streets are paved with gold.

Can't read and write in your own language? Too bad, learn that first and try again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join