It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farm Sanctuary; Happy Cows Saved from Slaughterhouse

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I know a lot of ranchers. I don't know a single one that slaughters his own beef. mostly because a cow has so many other parts that you can trade for processing, and simply have it picked up whole and delivered in packages for your freezer.

we have a local processing company that runs a butcher shop, and the quality of beef there is phenomenal. our local HEB buys local beef from there, too. they step on each others toes with the ribeye, but for the most part they sell different cuts from the same cows. Except the cryovac stuff like briskets, anyway.
edit on 5/13/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

I wonder if the simple solution would be to stop over breeding and over consumption of cows and their milk.

"Over breeding" is not really possible in a market economy, the farmer would soon go out of business.

I might eat beef about 1-4 times.

Taken to extremes one could say that to be true to your stance - you would only own 1 coat or 1 pair trousers/dress. Each to their own. We live in a varied world - would you want it any other way?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The best meat that I have ever had comes from crowdcow. If you live meat, like to keep it local and don't mind the extra coin then this is worth a look.

To be honest I don't know details, all I know it's that the wife orders it and 5 days later there is a box of tasty meat on my doorstep.

here's the link.

www.crowdcow.com...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight Sorry, I don't comprehend your reply.
Curious as to why you quoted a part of a sentence I wrote... doesn't matter, but it could be misconstrued into I eat meat 1-4 times a day, week, month or year.
I wrote that I eat it 1-4 times within a time period of 3 months.
Every body has a different level of metabolism. I personally can't eat that much beef, my body doesn't like to and I find sources of iron in the vegetable kingdom.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Some of the best beef I ever had was from a local guy who would take in calves from the local farmers and butcher them when I was a kid. I went to school with one of his boys. He ran a modest butcher shop/service/store. I dont' know which farmer we got our side of beef from, but it was some good stuff.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I was very happy to see the happy cows!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
S&F thanks for the thread.

Nice break in the madness and good to see they are doing alright.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: ChesterJohn

What about starving kids in Africa? Because they aren't working in our manufacturing plants are they just a "burden" to natural resources on the planet and a waste of life as well? Should we not allow them to live either? I have to respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree
What?

Humans aren't supposed to drink other mammals' milk, so no, cows were not "made" to make us milk or provide us with meat, they are here to experience life just like you or me.
We were given the right to eat anials by god himself and society has always drank the milk of Goats, Sheep and Cows for thousands of years as far back as history is recorded.

What makes you think we as humans have the authority to deem which creatures are "allowed" to stay alive? It's the year 2016. Human nature can be barbaric but at this point we need to realize we are smart enough to be more responsible. This is long overdue if anything. There will always be atrocities taking place, but those who recognize opportunities to improve can make a difference
We were given dominion of them from the Creator of all animals. Good luck improving because history always repeats itself and we about to enter one of the most Darkest times in history. As a matter of fact it will be a time unlike any before it and it wont be pretty.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguyA monkey, chimp and gorilla will sit and take a piss and a dump right where they sit. and remain seated in it. I even observed in the wild once a monkey dump right on another monkey.

edit on 13-5-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexanMucho correcto big one.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07There is a special curing for cows when slaughtered you need to hang their body in near freezing temps for 30 days it allows the meat to cure tender, then flash freeze it and cut it up for market. I like to do the same for deer, the meat looses that wild taste and becomes tender.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
start your own thread if you want to talk about how to slice and dice cows the best, that's off-topic, thank you

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I think the point being made in the OP is not so much that we should all just become vegans and let the entire cow species die off (eventually, of old age, of course). Rather, the sentiment is that it's too bad that corporate greed and the bottom line have led to the deplorable treatment of living mammals capable of pain, parental attachment, fear, and emotion. Meat animals always suffer a bit at the end; slaughter is inherently inhumane and there is no way to pretend that it isn't. But the OP is saying that perhaps we ought to give them a better quality of life, like we used to, and not treat them so badly, as we are currently doing in factory farms. That maybe our obligation to them goes beyond just eating them; perhaps before we eat them, while we are breeding them and raising them, we ought to treat them in the meantime with dignity, care, and respect. Maybe we should start to see them again as creatures and not things. Creatures capable of joy and play, of reveling in green grass and fresh air. Maybe then factory farms, the horrors of modern dairy practices, and CAFO beef feedlots would become a thing of the past.

Treating meat animals like old fashioned farm animals and not inanimate objects would mean raising smaller numbers of them, rendering veterinary care to them, and ensuring their living conditions are decent. This would cause meat and dairy related foods to become very expensive. And that would cause them to be eaten in more moderation, with a commensurate increase in plant food consumption. Everybody would win: the animals, the people's health, our moral responsibility to the animals would be fulfilled again, and the earth itself would benefit.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It depends on the breed. Highly developed sheep, like the merino you mentioned, don't shed their fleece naturally and have to be shorn. The more 'primitive' breeds are closer to the natural state and will shed their fleece every year. The fleece can be gently removed by hand before it falls off, a process known as rooing.

Merinos are prone to maggot infestations during warm wet weather due to the folds in their skin. This skin can be cut away. A process known as mulesing. South Africa is allegedly leading the way in non-mulesing. www.stockandland.com.au... New Zealand is phasing the practice out. Australia seems to be reluctant to develop alternatives. en.wikipedia.org...

When buying merino products thought should be given to the practices that made the wool available.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

It's great to see them running and jumping together. It reminds me of an occasion when a herd of cows rushed eagerly down a track. One got separated and ended up running down a field adjacent to the track, straight towards a strong, barbed wire fence. The farmer and I looked on in horror, expecting a ripped udder and legs. Instead the cow took off and neatly cleared the fence. That, and other experiences where cows went straight through fences and hedges, made me realise they only stay in a field if it's the easier alternative. If they want to break out they will.

Looking after rescued cows is a big responsibility. They easily get overweight. I've seen terribly overweight cows at an animal sanctuary, then the cows became distressed at the attempts to limit their food and freedom.

Sometimes primitive urges completely take over cattle and they'll circle a dog and trample it. If the dog hides behind the owner, the owner gets trampled.
edit on 14 5 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It was part of a reply to another poster why didn't you tell them to start a new thread?

This is called forum and is on topic to other replies.

Don't like it take it up with ATS

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

edit on 14-5-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

it is known as thread migration. Others brought up about buying butchered meat.

The problem as noted by others is that commercial slaughter houses are not very humane because they are killing in mass for a mass market, however We have humanely butchered our animals for many years there is a technique that is used and it slowly allows the animal to go to sleep. It is to slow for commercial use.

But if you let cows just run free they will cause more harm than good.

edit on 14-5-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

thanks for sharing your own experience and the fact that you kill your animals humanely - I'm happy to hear that.

It's good you are educated about the activities of commercial slaughterhouses and factory farming - I wish more people realized this. Thanks again.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I didn't see this when you posted - but just watched the video

You have no idea what that just did for me

:-)

I'm outta here for today - no point in spoiling it

S&F

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join