It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dust Devil on Mars Captured in Stunning Mosaic Photo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The mosaic is made up of images from the Opportunity rover's Navcam and shows the Dust Devil as it traverses the landscape , either that or someones beaming down tricorder in hand phaser set to stun..

Active weather phenomena on an alien planet , I know it's not the first but cool none the less.

It's also cool to remember that while Curiosity steals all the limelight old Opportunity is still trundling along doing science after 12 years rovering and 26 miles traveled , I remember her Mars birth as if it were only yesterday.

Hail the little rover that could , did and continues to do.

Link

edit on 13-5-2016 by gortex because: edit to add link

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The mosaic is made up of images from the Opportunity rover's Navcam and shows the Dust Devil as it traverses the landscape , either that or someones beaming down tricorder in hand phaser set to stun..

Exactly! Good old "Oppy" is still in the race and might even find something unexpected before Curiosity does! But then again: would earth-shaking discoveries be released to the public? Nah, so let's not hang our hopes too high.

Btw: nice mosaic, indeed ... S&F!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
That's not a dust devil.. that's a teleportation in progress.. from the CIA mars program..
Must be true because laura eisenhower said so.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Nah, it's just a dust devil. The CIA Mars program beams directly into a building disguised as normal Martian rock formations.

😱😂

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Active weather phenomena on an alien planet , I know it's not the first but cool none the less.

It's also cool to remember that while Curiosity steals all the limelight old Opportunity is still trundling along doing science after 12 years rovering and 26 miles traveled , I remember her Mars birth as if it were only yesterday.

Link

It sure has done the job more than expected, Curiosity has the wheel problem ahead. I think the wheel frames could stand on their own, but likely to get jammed at some time.
(at first glance in the small pic) I thought is that Bill or is that Ben sticking his little head up.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r

Exactly! Good old "Oppy" is still in the race and might even find something unexpected before Curiosity does! But then again: would earth-shaking discoveries be released to the public? Nah, so let's not hang our hopes too high.

According to Richard Hoover, Opportunity's already done that, finding a Crinoid fossil, only to have someone in the NASA team destroy it for er,....science.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Dust Devil on Mars Captured in Stunning Mosaic Photo

Here let me get this out of the way...

That's not Mars, it's a picture wherever the rovers are supposed to be on Earth.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Now as for the pic...nice find, maybe someday humans will get there.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

That's not a dust devil.. that's a teleportation in progress.. from the CIA mars program..

I wonder if this has something to do with letting something that secret get seen and photographed by a rover...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It's dust devil season up in Canada...

Saskatchewan
New-Brunswick
Alberta

Some can calculate global warming just by looking at icebergs, well I can tell Mars weather by looking at Canada! :p

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

According to Richard Hoover, Opportunity's already done that, finding a Crinoid fossil, only to have someone in the NASA team destroy it for er,....science.

I guess I was just being sarcastic. Opportunity of course has a great track record of finding interesting formations reminiscent of Martain fossils (example, another example).

But then we painfully had to realize: those finds didn't become the great sensation we were hoping for and the official scientific conclusions are ambiguous, at best (could be fossils, could be something else) with no way to prove or disprove that we've been looking at past Martian life *sigh*.

ETA: I still think the outcrops at Kirkwood/Eaglecrater show something of biological origin
edit on 14-5-2016 by jeep3r because: text

new topics

top topics

join