It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video shows woman being beaten while crowd watches

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) An alarming video of a woman being beaten on a city street while a crowd of people watches came to us by a Fresco News user. We immediately called police and tried to identify the victim and get answers about what happened.

It was a disturbing scene Thursday morning in 200 block of Ontario Street in the city's Kensington neighborhood. The man who shot the video of a brutal beating on the sidewalk does not want his face shown but did talk to us.

"The guy was actually on top of the girl-- just beating on her," the witness told FOX 29.

The woman is on the ground and you can see the man repeatedly slapping and punching the victim.

Video shows woman being beaten while crowd watches

If a Police Officer so much as lays a finger on a grown man, there would be protests and national riots. I wonder what protests will come of this? You have a grown man (who happens to be black) beating a woman in broad day light in Philadelphia, PA.

What do the people do? They just watch, you can even see one man walking by and laughing about it. Real Funny... Such a shame...

Where's the outrage!?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

What do the people do? They just watch, you can even see one man walking by and laughing about it.

Perhaps there wasn't much reality TV on that day?

I notice that the guy filming was too busy to help the Woman too...he was probably too focused on a youtube hit to worry about the hits she was getting.

edit on 13 5 2016 by MysterX because: added text

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Horrific!
edit on 13-5-2016 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
hey man equal rights, I fail to see how this is different then if two men got into a fist fight over a dispute.

(sorry I am a cynic I actually find this repulsive)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

hey man equal rights, I fail to see how this is different then if two men got into a fist fight over a dispute.

I find your comment very disturbing on so many levels!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Actually i agree with that sentiment, although let's face it, anyone getting pummelled in the street should be helped out.

link   

originally posted by: MysterX

What do the people do? They just watch, you can even see one man walking by and laughing about it.

Perhaps there wasn't much reality TV on that day?

I notice that the guy filming was too busy to help the Woman too...he was probably too focused on a youtube hit to worry about the hits she was getting.

In the video they interview the man who filmed and he says he "didn't want to be a hero and end up getting hurt too" such a shame, it's not about being a hero, it's about being a decent human being.

+4 more 
link   

Rule #1: you don't get involved in domestic issues. Call the cops and leave it be. I know it sounds callous....but lets take a hypothetical that has happened many times:

You walk up and see this situation. So you walk over and tell the guy to stop. He takes issue with this and directs himself towards you. You then wipe the floor with him, leaving him laying in the street drooling on the pavement. When the police show up, the battered spouse/girlfriend then claims you assaulted both of them and you go to jail for the whole thing.

You don't get in between love disputes because you'll find it goes sideways all too often.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

In an equal society this should be no different then the guy that got his face busted in with a baseball bat in my neighborhood not long ago, no one blinked about that either. I don't think women should fight wars either but hey who the hell am I.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Agreed.

Gender has nothing to do with it in my book.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Rule #1: you don't get involved in domestic issues. Call the cops and leave it be. I know it sounds callous....but lets take a hypothetical that has happened many times:

You walk up and see this situation. So you walk over and tell the guy to stop. He takes issue with this and directs himself towards you. You then wipe the floor with him, leaving him laying in the street drooling on the pavement. When the police show up, the battered spouse/girlfriend then claims you assaulted both of them and you go to jail for the whole thing.

You don't get in between love disputes because you'll find it goes sideways all too often.

Not entirely sure why you assume its a love dispute... nothing in the story, the video or any of those interviewed say anything about them being together. I admit i may have missed something, but I didn't see it.

As far as I can tell, a Man is beating a woman in broad day light and people are watching and some are laughing. Sure there are situations where "things can go wrong" but that's no excuse to be a coward.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Plenty of domestics end up in murder...this may have been one of those times.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor
If a Police Officer so much as lays a finger on a grown man, there would be protests and national riots.

My tax dollars aren't paying for the cops to curb stomp people.

I wonder what protests will come of this?

Probably none. Who should protest? Why aren't you? I'm almost certain you want be. Nothing's stopping you.

You have a grown man (who happens to be black) beating a woman in broad day light in Philadelphia, PA.

Yea, its a shame. I don't understand why you to mention his race, its obvious from the video, unless you were somehow trying to insinuate that the bystander effect only applies when blacks are involved?

What do the people do? They just watch, you can even see one man walking by and laughing about it. Real Funny... Such a shame...

It is a shame, but most people are absolutely worthless, after all.

Where's the outrage!?

Go make it?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

My tax dollars aren't paying for the cops to curb stomp people.

Of course not, I wasn't aware during the protests people were concerned about their tax dollars, I figured it was do to police brutality. This is a case of civilian brutality, the outrage should be there.

Probably none. Who should protest? Why aren't you? I'm almost certain you want be. Nothing's stopping you.

The same people who protest against police brutality, should be protesting for this brutality. I'm not one of those individuals.

Yea, its a shame. I don't understand why you to mention his race, its obvious from the video, unless you were somehow trying to insinuate that the bystander effect only applies when blacks are involved?

I mention his race to bring attention, I wonder if it would have been the same if it was a white man beating a black woman in broad day light. I wonder if the reaction would have been the same? I SUSPECT it would not be, I suppose I could be wrong.

I don't believe it's most people, but some are.

Go make it?

I did, this post is it.

edit on 5/13/2016 by PsychoEmperor because: typos

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Meh, just another day in da' hood.

Nobody wants to get involved for fear of retribution. Odd how much of this type "onlooking crowd" behavior we hear of from the Northeast corridor. I guess its because of over crowding.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

If i see a man and woman together in the middle of the street, middle of the day, fighting i am going to assume its a love dispute. Mostly because i am not going to stop them to ask first.

Its unfortunate, i know. And I know this is really going to piss some folks off....but you can't help people who won't help themselves. If there wasn't a long history of the exact thing I mentioned in the prior post happening, then I wouldn't hve any rationale to base this on.

And this isn't just me saying this. If you take a "License To Carry" class in the state of Texas you likely will have this very scenario discussed. And you will be told exactly what I just said: call the police and let them deal with it so you don't end up going to jail for his crime.

My own sister did this to me. He wasn't beating on her, but I did run him off after I got sick of hearing her cry over his abusiveness. She wouldn't talk to me for years afterwards, and went on with him for another decade after we started talking again. So I don't get in the middle of those things. Period.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Plenty of domestics end up in murder...this may have been one of those times.

And almost every single one of them had multiple calls to the police, with the victim choosing to go back to him or refuse to press charges.

You cannot help the unwilling. If anyone can figure out a way to do it, they would do a real favor to humanity to share that knowledge. But until then, you just can't do much other than call the authorities and let them try to help. I don't know about other parts of the country, but here we have programs like CASA that help battered women. There is help available, but the behavior is irrational, so that help can't be me.

Sorry. Its not cowardice. Im just not going to jail for a man beating on his woman.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki

I agree with everything else you've written, but this I cannot agree with.
There's more evidence to suggest the opposite is true.

People are generally kind to each other, they generally will help others in need when they have the opportunity.
However, there is evidence to show that Humans experience a form of mass apathy when in groups like this, unable to be the first one to step in, but once someone breaks that invisible barrier others quickly join them.

There are various theories as to why this happens, but my belief is that most people are "followers" and don't want the responsibility of being a "leader", which is why so many wait for someone else to take charge of the situation before then stepping in to assist.

People want to step in, but subconsciously no one wants to be the one stepping out of the collective group to single themselves out as a leader making a decision.

Either way, sh*t like this happens all the time all over the US, the fact that this instance was caught on camera means little. And as you say, unless the person doing the beating is a police officer paid by the public to serve all people without bias, there's little reason for there to be mass protests over this.

Who are people going to protest against?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Another reason why the law abiding should get their cpl. If this woman had a weapon, she could have stopped it. If a passerby had a weapon, he could have intervened, most likely stopping the attack without firing a shot.

iTruthSeeker

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Its unfortunate, i know. And I know this is really going to piss some folks off....but you can't help people who won't help themselves. If there wasn't a long history of the exact thing I mentioned in the prior post happening, then I wouldn't hve any rationale to base this on.

I agree with you. Most of my dad's side of the family is in law enforcement and they advise the same thing. You are not dealing with rationality for the most part so what you see as reasonable intervention is not viewed the same by the victim and perpetrator.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join