It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Climate Change" in Solomon Islands

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

...wow. i just find out on ATS that Climate is changing! wow...
what an cool post on Above Top Secret... just wowwwww

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

due to rising sea levels and coastal erosion, according to new research.

So some islands vanish because sea level rises instead of simple plate techtonics.

If that is true, then the sea level dropped worldwide when the the island appeared off the Indian coast in 2013.
New Island off Indian coast.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Sure it have and still does, but as i said above, if you change the landscape you change the climate.

Take a little time and read this, it's very educational.

The Effect of Localized Man-Made Heat and Moisture Sources in Mesoscale Weather Modification

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ZakOlongapo

No need for trolling, we are all grown up people.

You too should read the link above

edit on 13-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

It is well known that since the last ice age lands are sinking due to glacial rebound.
It's a very sensitive topic sea-level rise and land subsidence, which one have the most impact? It's extremely difficult to measure global sea-levels, actually we know there does not exist a global sea level, every location is different and the sea is far from a smooth surface.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

But plate tectonics are measured in great detail, they would know if land was rising or falling due to plate tectonics.
And because they have measured it they somehow know ? This morning the radio was saying that there were 4 different temperatures in the city in which I live . Some cooler and some warmer . This measuring vary's and creates data and data can be cherry picked to produce bias results over time . Seeing earthquakes happening in places that never had them says that they don't measure all places and don't have a complete grasps of the subject . Heck they just found one of the biggest reefs in the world that they didn't know existed . They haven't even catalogued all of the new species let alone the species we know exist in this place .

We have a partial picture of a big picture ,past, present and future . Factor that into the CO2 budget and things can only be guessed at .....

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: 3danimator2014

But plate tectonics are measured in great detail, they would know if land was rising or falling due to plate tectonics.
And because they have measured it they somehow know ?

Yes, because they measure it . In detail. The rest of your post has nothing to do with anything.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

sure... i just, is this website for climate news or is there something more in it? ... You know, above top secret xx
... like G. Carlin one's says: "... people build them homes on active volcanoes and then they wonder why they have lava in the living room..."

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This thread has got me to thinking, is the sea level rising or, are the tides higher and conversely lower? I know the sun has been a little more "energetic" in the past years and is now supposedly entering a solar minimum, so has the sun put on a little weight? Has gravity increased ever so slightly that the tides are a little higher and lower? Does anyone measure this? Does anyone care except for Global Warming / Climate Change? The sky may be falling...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

www.nap.edu... .... ???? You have to be kidding me... that website You can put where Sun do not shine xx it is government pay... that means... xx

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Do you people think you can stop the climate from changing? It boggles my mind that you dont seem to understand it's always changed and always will.

Yeah, agree, I would like to see some sensible brain power rather than bitch and moan power from the cult of agcc groupies. I mean seriously, where does that extra $100 go when I buy a flatscreen TV or those extra dimes per litre on gasoline? I don't see throwing money at an alleged problem being a real solution, especially when we don't have the technology to control the solar system.

But I am quite sure the cheerleaders for the Taxman see it as a solution lol. It's all smoke and mirrors, we just happen to live at a time when it's advantageous for tptb to take advantage of us using the climate change bogeyman.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/13.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

It boggles my mind that people fall for this statement. No one is saying the climate should not change, of course it does. The problem is the rate that it is changing.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
a reply to: Flavian

It is well known that since the last ice age lands are sinking due to glacial rebound.
It's a very sensitive topic sea-level rise and land subsidence, which one have the most impact? It's extremely difficult to measure global sea-levels, actually we know there does not exist a global sea level, every location is different and the sea is far from a smooth surface.

Aye, though glacial rebound works 2 ways - areas that were under ice are still rising, whereas areas to their south are, conversely, sinking (one reason why parts of SE England including london are "sining").

However, neither affects the Solomon Islands.

The sea level is rising in that part of the Pacific (as you rightly point out, sea level changes are not uniform - indeed, even if levels rise on average across the planet due to AGW, some places could still see a fall!). Whether this change is indirectly down to global warming is a moot point. As the author of this recent report is at pains to point out:

www.theguardian.com...

The fact is: changes in sea levels, for whatever reason, affect humans a lot, especially sea level rises. And it makes sense for us not to act in any way that may cause sea levels to rise any more than they might otherwise do. Though some billionaires, who want to make lots and lots more money selling coal and oil, disagree.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

This actually interested me, because I've always said when Islands start disappearing I'll buy into the AGW theory. I'm trying to re-find the links, but it seems the Solomon Islands have a history of doing this.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

This actually interested me, because I've always said when Islands start disappearing I'll buy into the AGW theory. I'm trying to re-find the links, but it seems the Solomon Islands have a history of doing this.
The same authors who wrote the paper about the islands disappearing admit that the sea level rise around the Solomon Island region is higher than average sea level rise by a wide margin (it's almost 300% of the average):

theconversation.com...

Previous studies examining the risk of coastal inundation in the Pacific region have found that islands can actually keep pace with sea-level rise and sometimes even expand.

However, these studies have been conducted in areas of the Pacific with rates of sea level rise of 3-5 mm per year – broadly in line with the global average of 3 mm per year.

For the past 20 years, the Solomon Islands have been a hotspot for sea-level rise. Here the sea has risen at almost three times the global average, around 7-10 mm per year since 1993. This higher local rate is partly the result of natural climate variability.
So they say other islands are keeping pace with sea level rise or even expanding, but please don't let "inconvenient" facts like these get in the way of a good climate change story.

edit on 2016513 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The link I'm trying to find was written by Darwin and his observations of the islands as reef islands. Can't find it for the life of me though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join