It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Climate Change" in Solomon Islands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
So small changes are starting to appear cause of rising sea levels, nothing really bad but the signs are showing "slowly".

SOURCE

Five reef islands have disappeared from the Pacific's Solomon Islands and six more have been severely damaged due to rising sea levels and coastal erosion, according to new research. Studying the relationship between sea level rise and wave exposure in the "global sea-level rise hotspot," a team of Australian researchers found rising waters are taking a significant toll on the islands. "At least 11 islands across the northern Solomon Islands have either totally disappeared over recent decades or are currently experiencing severe erosion

The five islands that disappeared were all vegetated reef islands with areas up to five hectares (12 acres), which were not populated, but occasionally used by fishermen. "They were not just little sand islands,"

edit on 13-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I hope an altitude of 2500 above sea level is enough.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I think you will be safe

Unless you will rain away

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Erosion you say .Rising waters you say . I wonder how long this has been going on and if it will ever end .

edit on 13-5-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Well, you clearly grasped the concept in firm fashion....good grief.

Tides and rising sea water levels on aggregate over a given period are NOT the same thing in the least.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

No, but he's got a valid point saying erosion and changing sea levels are always happening, past and future.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I am sure you are correct but in a way to show that nature happened is happening and is hopefully going to keep happening ,we as humans can move away from rising waters to places where water moves away or new land appears.

It is a bit of a bush back to the whole CO2 global warming / climate change chicken little's that we have been pounded with over the past decade or more. Embrace the change and don't fear . Al Gore and his whores are wrong imo .

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Which is also why i said "climate change" in the headline, it could very well be normal erosion from wind and weather, or a little bit of everything.

edit on 13-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Seeing land rises and falls because of what is happening many miles under the surface ,it would or could also be related .I seem to recall that even Japan moved one way of another a few mm or cm. ...There are a lot of forces hidden from us .CO2 is such a small small piece of a much much bigger picture .They even talk about contenant rebound .

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I agree, everything is moving, it's a living breathing planet full of surprises.

I do though, also think that man is a part of those "movements" in various ways, if you change the landscape you also change the climate.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I noticed that

Just to add to the thread Headlines 'exaggerated' climate link to sinking of Pacific islands

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Erosion you say .Rising waters you say . I wonder how long this has been going on and if it will ever end .

please tell me you are joking and that you know the difference between rising sea levels and tides...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Seeing land rises and falls because of what is happening many miles under the surface ,it would or could also be related .I seem to recall that even Japan moved one way of another a few mm or cm. ...There are a lot of forces hidden from us .CO2 is such a small small piece of a much much bigger picture .They even talk about contenant rebound .

But plate tectonics are measured in great detail, they would know if land was rising or falling due to plate tectonics.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

No, but he's got a valid point saying erosion and changing sea levels are always happening, past and future.

Possibly, but then illutrating it with time lapse videos of tides negates anything intelligent he may have said.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Whilst there is undoubted sea level rise (measured) in the Solomon Islands, i am wondering if they also accounted for tectonics with the 5 disappearing islands? I don't really know enough about this topic in this area so this is more a question than a statement. I do, however, know there is a subduction zone just west of the Solomon Islands which is certainly seismically active.

So really, what i am asking is that is this just sea level rise or is it a combination of sea level rise and some land mass sinking?

ETA:

My apologies, notice this has already been mentionned. I still feel it is a valid point though, what with a subduction zone just west of the Solomon Islands. With all subduction zones, some land goes up and some goes down.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I can see Al Gore 20,000 years ago. Sitting in DC saying, "if we don't fix climate change, Laurentide ice sheet will melt and expose all of Manhattan Island

or

Sitting in DC 85,000 years ago saying, "If we don't fix climate change, The Wisconsin ice sheet is going to completely cover Canada and wipe out all of the trees. The trees change C02, into oxygen. There will be no coming back from that"

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

The Birds and the Bees add to the whole of the picture and humans are at the top ,no doubt .We are the biggest destructive force on the planet but if we put CO2 in a context to the other human contributions it is microscopic .They talk about climate refugees but there is little in the way by comparison to the wars we fight . Pollution out weighs any human caused temperatures . Its seems that all of the fear concerning CO2 is future while we really need to be screaming about what "is" today . If we cant fix the bigger pictures and work hard on them then even 2 to 4 degrees warmer or cooler means nothing .People can move to cooler climates or warmer climates .They have been doing that for some time now and its not that hard .

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Do you people think you can stop the climate from changing? It boggles my mind that you dont seem to understand it's always changed and always will.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Valid point

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I think if it was tectonic movements it would be visible/measured over a larger area, and not just a few island being flooded/ eroded.

Plausible but i doubt, that's my opinion with a little guess work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join