It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet: Walking on eggshells

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I don't know, try explaining "science" to the Progressive LGBT movement. Transphobe!

edit on 13-5-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Staygaf

Um. Well. I know what you mean.... but i guess I hold a view that could be called overly-optimistic by some.
That is, that anything can be said, it is just a matter of how you say it.

I've kept that in mind for years, and I have struggled and experimented, in trying to find the best ways to communicate with this medium- because I felt it was a sort of revolution when we got internet, and called for learning completely new ways of thinking and communicating.

Being part of a global community this way is complicated! Until now, people didn't come into contact with others from far away places and different cultures, from different social classes and even sub-cultures. We didn't have the same problems.

Yeah, I think it means you cannot "look down upon" those you used to. There has to be a base recognition of everyone equal value as human beings first.

I found it also made me have to acknowledge my own faults and weaknesses; it is harder to project them only upon others, when they can point to your words, still there, showing you that you did the same as they! It brings some humility... and if you can find compassion for yourself, you begin to feel more of it for others too.
Yeah, you do have to learn to tolerate more and others have to learn to tolerate you too.

I have not perfected my ability to communicate in this medium, but I have made lots of headway. It gets easier all the time, and I feel less "repressed" as I figure out the "ways to say".

I still make mistakes, and try to figure out how to avoid them, and which ones are more important to avoid an which ones are worth worrying about.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I don't think you have to walk on eggshells on the net.Say what you want to say.Make sure you have real friends in your offline life,the net is not imo so much for making friends-not if you want to be able to really speak your mind anyway.A lot of people are going to dislike you for your viewpoints,especially if the viewpoints do not concur with the leftie prog side's worldview.If you are at all concerned about being popular or making friends online,you propably Would have to be careful what you say.I myself say what is on my mind,i express my opinions and worldview and if many folks dislike me for it,well tough.I really don't give a rats ass.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Actually, I think the exact opposite!

The more the interwebz grows the more it becomes increasingly infiltrated with a bunch of touchy-feely little PC ninnies who get their widdle feewings hurted at the slightest disagreement with whatever myopic subject they can come up with. The so called "egg-shells" they walk on are created in their own minds...because they are so narcissistic that they believe they are "entitled" to have a viewpoint which no one should be allowed to take exception to.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The Internet: Walking on eggshells

I enjoy playing the "devil's advocate" and stirring things up a bit

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

1. Always be true to yourself.
2. Middle finger to the bandwagon as it goes by!
3. All of the above.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I would say this.. "Stay G, AF" and don't mind 'em

ETA: sorry if I misinterpreted your username)
edit on 13-5-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

As someone with social anxiety issues always registering at defcon 2... yes, I feel it. My personal battle to be true to myself while attempting to be impossibly likable/agreeable makes my head feel like splitting in half.

I desperately want to be agreeable, but I simply do not/can not agree on some points. The whole business of using "religious" as a pejorative or labeling anything not completely in-line with whatever the culturally acceptable fashion of the day is as "bigotry" sucks.

It's not bigotry or ignorance to disagree. It's also not bigotry to have secured borders to a country. The whole open borders no matter what comes in and I'm-ok-your-ok doesn't work 100% of the time, or only works with a healthy dash of common sense/mutual respect thrown in.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I absolutely hate hurting people's feelings, but I love discussing ideas. It's hard to discuss those ideas when everyone's so thin-skinned. I've said this elsewhere, many, many times... it's like someone who doesn't go along 100% with ones own ideology is Satan incarnate, the very epitome of evil and must be destroyed to peace to reign once more.

And that's just childish. The adult thing is to delve into topics or even debate topics without demonizing one's opponent.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

This is nothing

Try telling the truth online

You'll find your Internet "malfunctioning"

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

1. Always be true to yourself.
2. Middle finger to the bandwagon as it goes by!
3. All of the above.

Number 1

I agree

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
You can feel how ever you want but I'd recommend deconstructing those feelings. More than anything it sounds like your just worried about what people will think of you. It doesn't matter people don't have to like you and you won't find like minded individuals unless your honest with what you think.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I want my three minutes back.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
ive been on the internet since suction cup modems that one stuck a rotary phone into...

So let me give some history...

it was a bold brave new world before manbearpig invented it, even though Al Gore claims it was himself.

So fast forward through the pre-era of basically text messaging and Zork and odd computer languages like the Commodore 64 and Apple hieroglyphics to the sane 10, 20, 30 basic programming structure where the 5, 15, and 25 were reserved for additional code.

It the 90s where dialup was king and AOL ruled the free drink coaster world, and if you had 66k of ram installed you were state of the art with winders 3.1 chewing every corner of harddisk space imaginable and pictures at any resolution above 50x100 looked like an atari 2600 video game... video as many mobster say? forget about it... tat was like a betamax rewound after it was pulled out of the cartridge and used as a finish line banner. Where everyone had their own little page of woo woo and conspiracies or other hobby to display with reckless abandon... and IRC ruled te chat world and secretly still does.

Most of that is basically the dark web now you know like the dark ages, where anything went... and it was pirated software, and banned books, and all sorts of tantalizing stuff that is normally hidden form "normal" society. The downfall of that era is clearly defined by napster getting sued and millions of fans as well by metallica... lame move fellas as its well known torrents actually boost sales like free promotional disks to radio stations did.

But anyhoo, as more people started hearing about all this cool stuff, and people started wanting to come in and commercialize it? Thats when ekk parents were wanting to be a myspace friend... was there no refuge a space to call ones very own? No... now its everyone trying to make online just as lame commerical and boring as life was around all those before they were online to ruin it.

In reality this post would have been done 10 minutes ago because I have to stop and self censor because language and manners... when cursing is a subject noun pronoun metaphor and verb in my normal everyday communication...

But I suppose the egg shells is the not so silent revolt of it being taken over by bland boring and lame sell this buy that how huge is kims butt this week? Is se wearing that dress thats blue or white omg you guys lol I cant tell!

The internet is a farce these days its ultra lame because its been forced into mainstream and the government having a look at it flipped their hoop skirts and freaked out got so paranoid about its citizens that they should precribe them antipsychotics with all the nanny goating and parentalesque paranoia along the lines of that dont let your kids play dungeons and dragons cause its satan worship...

Thats whats wrong with the internet, I dont walk on egg shells online because I was on it before 99% of the people today were on it. Now all the people that were here through all of this with me? Whos actually made it stupid... yes im an online personality and its the digital world and youre connected to my IDGA(flying)F.

I actually hope all te square wanna live forever people to become permanently connected android brains... then the real sane people can go back to real life. Its always a pleasure messing with people online... oh no lord elp me jesus dont ban me like I effing care. Theres TOR, there IP release and IP renew, theres duck duck go, and hide my ass and bugmenot and google images have serial codes, theres newsgroups and oh so much fun... dont worry no need for a mic im done.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I usually make it a point to anger people i don't agree with. I'll say whatever i want.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Old saying. Praise your enemies, criticize your friends.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

That was absolutely glorious. And wow, nostalgia. I remember IRC and newsgroups and must give you big fat brownie points for mentioning Zork!

:

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well on ATS you will find people with different opinions than you, but will most likely not get banned if you post within reason. That's where I stay for the most part, besides a few Facebook forums, so that's all I know. One Facebook forum is "Creationism vs. Science" where debate takes place and it is heavy on the science side of the debate. So you might feel oppressed there if you go and spout religious stuff.

From what I gather, the left (although I agree with its views) has become fairly intolerant of conservatives. The same can be said of the other way around.But it's normal to have people disagree with you, you can disagree with them, as well.

Come to think of it, I agree with Ketsuko on his tribalism speech. I think there are different polarized zones online (both conservative and liberal and more) that aren't very tolerant of other viewpoints.
edit on 14amSat, 14 May 2016 09:09:26 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 14amSat, 14 May 2016 09:09:47 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

If one is conditioned with PC to an extreme point, one will post what one wants without much backlash.

Tyranny of the masses!

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

No, I do not care much at all and say everything I feel.

In fact, it was MUCH worse I noticed about 10 years ago, cause I was worried.

NOW ?

IDGAF.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join