It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy's to install robotic kiosks across 6,000 restaurants

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

OMG...I started this thought with "depending upon the job" and gave an example of a Walmart Greeter". Why are you arguing a different conversation. You can't get a robot that can COMPLETELY REPLACE a job function for $7.25 per hour. Again...if you can, I'll sign a contract for you to provide that robot today.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

We could probably go back and forth on this forever...but...while you are correct that the "cost of goods sold" does figure into profits, that cost is debatable. From a strictly logical perspective...the business is employing a single person and therefore, the "support" would only matter for that individual, not their family. But that cost isn't something that is factual, but based upon opinion and conjecture.

As a business owner I could argue that you are paying way too much for your rent and therefore, you need to speak to your landlord about adjusting that to something more reasonable than asking me to pay more for your bad rent deal. But I could also say that it isn't my responsibility to pay you enough for your four bedroom home...even though you have a wife and two children. I'm employing only you and therefore should only need to cover 25% of your rent.

That doesn't even get into how a person decides to live. I've met people that live in tents and those who live in mansions. You are welcome to turn down my job offer if it doesn't pay you enough for your mansion...but the government shouldn't require that it does.

The average person can easily live on $20,000 per year (at least here in PA) so $7.25 per hour is low. But $15 per hour is $31,200 and way more than is needed to "live". But again...it depends what you call making a living and what is included. Some people consider things "needs" that are actually "wants". Without defining what is a "need" you can't calculate a fair wage for one person. But if you can...we can actually come up with a fair minimum wage so long as we also consider what is a fair expense. I think $100 per month for cable TV...which some consider a need, is excessive. How about cutting the $100 cable cost instead of forcing the employer to pay more.

Again...we could go on for hours.

I'm calling total BS...

Ok min wage at 40 hours a week has a gross income of a little less than 300 a week..

That's 1,200 a month..

Ok so worst case scenerio studio apt in a bad neighborhood= 500$ a month.. That's low, good luck finding an apt for 500$, but Trina to be conservative in my guesses...

Then you must have transportation to that job, say gas and a 2000 dollar car...

So I think you could fairly call that 200 to 300 a month, gas included.

Then you need a phone, can't be employed without a phone.. So let's say 60$ a month.

Then you've got utilities...bare minimum, that's 150 a month for power and 25 for water..prob more but...trying to be conservative..

Thrift store clothes/work uniforms...100$

Then you have food exc, assuming your beans and rice...what 300 a month... That's prob too low, but..

Apt: 500
Car:300
Food:300
Phone:60
Utilities:200
Clothes:100

(Added in edit)

Man, I forgot all the car insurance, tag and title type stuff...

(Edit end)

And the actual take home for 7.25 an hour is 1,120.00 looked it up on a salary calculator)

So that's 1,400 a month NOT including cable, Internet, healthcare, entertainment, ANY emergency you face, exc..

Hell a flat tire could ruin your life lol...

edit on 13-5-2016 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I'd be happy to see those numbers if you can provide them. But you also have to consider your Green Technology. Do you mean solar, electric or what? What is the Green impact of each (including coal) entire product from development, production, use and disposal? For example...did you know that a lot of electric power is generated by coal and other non-green fuels? Did you also know how expensive an electric car battery is and how non-green it is to dispose of?

I don't know these answers and before I would say any replacement for a "non-green" power source can be considered, I would need to see a factual, non-bias report of the actual lifetime cost of the replacement. It is completely stupid to replace something like coal with something like electricity if they are both just as much non-green when you look at the lifetime impact.

And don't forget...many of the individuals pushing for something other than coal have ulterior agendas. Don't forget to account for the economic impact also.

You may be right...but I need to see it.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
McD's has brought in some up here and encourage people tp use them by offering a menu not available at the till..I refuse to use them and will not use Wendy's. What the world gonna do when no one left working to buy the sh#t.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

And those are not the lazy people, they work 40 a week...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

And I'll gladly call BS back! Lets use your numbers. You got to $1200 per month and ended with $1400 per month. Lets add to that $200 per month for savings just to be nice. That is $1600 per month. That would be $9.23 per hour and I would agree to a $10 per hour minimum wage.

Here in Northeastern PA, a $500 per month apartment in a medium part of town gets you three bedrooms, two baths and about 1200 square feet of space. So for this area of the country, that $10 is acceptable.

But $15 per hour is a 50% raise over that $10 per hour rate. And a bit ridiculous depending upon the job and the location.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Yeah, people don't like em. I think it's the wave of the future in a way, though. We'll start having them everywhere.

Asia, particularly Japan and China have had a large push to robot waiters in restaurants. It's taking a bit longer than expected just like with the kiosks, but that will be standard before long too. No matter what we pay for these jobs they're going to be replaced by machines.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

They were in the link, if the link doesn't work though (or you're one of the many who continue to ad block forbes) just google for electricity deathprint, the chart has been reproduced in many places and it lists deaths per TWH for many types of electric generation.

For power generation though, I'm still a big proponent of geothermal. It's clean, renewable, known technology, and it's cheap, very very cheap... less than coal even.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

They were in the link, if the link doesn't work though (or you're one of the many who continue to ad block forbes) just google for electricity deathprint, the chart has been reproduced in many places and it lists deaths per TWH for many types of electric generation.

For power generation though, I'm still a big proponent of geothermal. It's clean, renewable, known technology, and it's cheap, very very cheap... less than coal even.

I will look into that. Thanks for the heads-up

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

So looking at your link...I have a question. I'm not being picky nor arguing, just need some input.

It says...for example
Coal – world average 161 (26% of world energy, 50% of electricity)

That is 161 deaths but also says 50% of electricity. Does that mean that 161 deaths because of coal AND that 50% of those deaths were from coal used to produce electricity? And if so...then 80.5 deaths would be contributed to electric use...that was produced by coal?

For example...if a neighbor asked that with his electric vehicle, how many deaths on average. Would 80.5 be due to his electric use if that electric is generated by coal in this area?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
double post removed
edit on 13/5/2016 by redempsh because: you only get one change to make a bad first impression

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The powers that BE intend to sexual-ize your mental environment. "Let's talk about ... sex bay-bee"

This is how they do it. Sex in the TV shows; sex during the commercials. Music playing around you all day long. Radio, MP3 - and all of it is love songs. They need you to obsess over it. Yours, his, hers, theirs. Because the "other two F's" are feeding and fighting. If you weren't obsessed with intercourse or food, you'd be.... fighting.

And we can't have that; now can we, class?

In L'Ancien Regime, no one discussed sex. But in the now world order, it is rears its lovely head in every single conversation. Almost like they are trying to divert your attention away from something else. You're like someone on a bad date; your date just keeps blathering on and on about nothing--anything, really as long as they keep the void filled with words.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Minimum wage jobs were never intended to be careers. They ere intended to be either part time work for teenagers and 20-somethings. 30 years ago it was standard for a person whose only opportunities were min wage jobs to work 2 or even 3 of them to make ends meet.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

And I'll gladly call BS back! Lets use your numbers. You got to $1200 per month and ended with $1400 per month. Lets add to that $200 per month for savings just to be nice. That is $1600 per month. That would be $9.23 per hour and I would agree to a $10 per hour minimum wage.

Here in Northeastern PA, a $500 per month apartment in a medium part of town gets you three bedrooms, two baths and about 1200 square feet of space. So for this area of the country, that $10 is acceptable.

But $15 per hour is a 50% raise over that $10 per hour rate. And a bit ridiculous depending upon the job and the location.

I found this site to be quite accurate for my area and the world over

www.numbeo.com...

You can search for the cost of living for any city in the world.
Take note that everything is cheaper by 4X in India than in the USA.
Of course some will say they do not make as much either

Well...when you have workers competing globally with no national protections, the workers in the USA will be worse off than the ones in India once equilibrium is reached.

Lobbyists want the highest prices here in the USA for rents, services etc with the lowest labor costs.

For Allentown PA rent it shows:

Rent Per Month [ Edit ] Avg.
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 956.33 $
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 914.67 $
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 1,450.00
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 1,400.00

edit on 13-5-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I feel the same way. They have a choice to not employee people with lower levels of education and we have a choice to not spend money there. I can get way better food for hardly that much more money and I don't want to have a machine take my order anyways. Whatever. Not eating at Wendy's is a good thing. Sugar, high fat, and preservatives. Awful.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
this is what happens when minimum wage workers ask for more money. meet your new co-worker, coming to a restaurant near you.

www.youtube.com...

The robots are cheaper than 7.25$ an hour and no insurance..

Great! Send me a walking, talking robot that can greet people at Walmart and I will gladly send you $290 per week. I can send you my address via a PM when you are ready to sign that contract.

They already have them...they are the sensors that line every Best Buy exc.

A Walmart greeter is literally one of the people employed at Walmart at one time. There are dozens of cashiers and such that will be replaced..

Same with restaurants..they will replace everyone but a food runner and a cook or 2. Taking a job that did need 30 employees and cutting it to 5.

The long term benefits in that are obvious and in some cases instant.. The salary of your employees is almost irrelevant when you are cutting labor, and all its cost by 70+%.

All the Friday's and corporate chains are already swapping to kiosks and the servers only make 2.15$ from the buisness.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Minimum wage jobs were never intended to be careers. They ere intended to be either part time work for teenagers and 20-somethings. 30 years ago it was standard for a person whose only opportunities were min wage jobs to work 2 or even 3 of them to make ends meet.

No not careers!

Support the person doing the job through the day to day life it takes actually show up every day.

Not support a family of four.

Not be the end result career some one would be happy with.

Just actually feed cloth and shelter the ONE person performing that job.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Everyone in the country does not live in the one town in pensilvaonia that magically has the min rent possible.

I live in Memphis and a 1 bed room apt in the
hood cost 600...and Memphis has an incredibly cheap cost of living.

Any rural area you can double the transportation cost, so really it's atleast the same their too.

And all of that is ignoring ANY extra expenses. One traffic ticket could take a year to pay off.

I'm actually cool with a ten dollar min wage, if done today... Because that coupled with the social programs available is enough to barely scratch by , but By the time it gets done inflation will have made it meaningless.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

a reply to: amazing

I'm not arguing automation, I'm arguing the benefit of automation and when and why automation becomes a better value than human labor. While you are welcome to ignore the facts I stated...you provide no other nor do you state a single example of the "right" causing the problem. So without a logical or fact based rebuttal on your part...I'll just leave that as you have nothing to contribute nor a point to make on those subjects.

The fact that the cost of human labor has been increased by Obamacare, a higher minimum wage, etc. is just that...a fact. The higher the cost of human labor, the better automation looks to a business.

It really isn't very difficult to understand. At least for most.

Oh...and LOL!

Just a couple of points. I never said the right caused automation. I'm just saying it's a natural technological evolution of capitalism and our society. There is no left or right wing agenda, it's just profit.

My second point is that automation was happening way before any minimum wage increase or ObamaCare...It doesn't really matter what the left or the right do, it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

Third why do you insist on making everything partisan? Especially my responses here ...which had no partisan agenda or anything. I was just stating facts.

It's almost like you've been brainwashed by Rush limbaugh or Sean Hannity or something. LOL

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If I had a restaurant, I'd hire young women with large breasts to be my counter help or waitresses.

How do you think "Hooters" would do with with robots?

I won't be going to Wendy's anymore even though I like their chili. I'll just take my business to mom and pop food joint where they will appreciate my patronage.

The future will be "bleepers" displaying pr0n on TV's in their frames, you can watch any hooters you like on any robot you like! Seeing how p0rn has evolved over the years and peoples open attitude towards it we will be very desensitized (hehehe) to the piont having dinner in your underwear while on the toilet and watching pr0n will be'enjoyed' between friends, work mates and partners.

This getting very 'Idiocracy' - 2006 movie by Mike Judge.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join