It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy's to install robotic kiosks across 6,000 restaurants

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

The ONLY way your point would be valid is if automation didn't start until people began pushing for a "livable wage"...but automation has been "stealing" jobs all of human history. The better tech you have, less humans you need to complete the job. We are now crossing the precipice where you only need a fraction of the population to work to get the job done.

Your entire point is the opposite of "businesses will do whatever is more profitable."

Your saying they would turn down more profitability, as long as they can get people to work for 7.25 and no health insurance. When that is less profitable than building robots to do it...

You really can't see the fallacy I your logic?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The ONLY way your point would be valid is if automation didn't start until people began pushing for a "livable wage"...but automation has been "stealing" jobs all of human history. The better tech you have, less humans you need to complete the job. We are now crossing the precipice where you only need a fraction of the population to work to get the job done.

Your entire point is the opposite of "businesses will do whatever is more profitable."

Your saying they would turn down more profitability, as long as they can get people to work for 7.25 and no health insurance. When that is less profitable than building robots to do it...

Exactly
The path we are on has nothing to do with the minimum wage worker but everything to do with the consequences of technology in its current evolution and the limitless profit driven model over the best interests of all in this nation.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

edit on 13-5-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
Wait, I'm confused...

For the average Conservative having jobs going to China or allowing foreign workers in to do a job for less is "totally unfair!" but building robots to replace people is "free market capitalism"?

Damn, that Conservative hypocrisy is insane!

Great point!!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

Exactly
The path we are on has nothing to do with the minimum wage worker but everything to do with the consequences of technology in its current evolution and the limitless profit driven model over the best interests of all in this nation.

We are almost there

Yes...it has to do with the consequences of technology and the profit driven business model. However...if the human element becomes more and more expensive and problematic to the business...it contributes to it's own demise. So yes...the minimum wage IS a factor also as is health insurance, and anything else that costs the business IF it continues to utilize human workers.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Exactly

I'm gonna disagree but only to say that this is just the natural evolution of tech regardless.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

While I understand the point...I don't entirely agree. In my opinion...

It is completely wrong for any US company that can use US labor, supplies and raw materials, to use foreign labor, etc. If I were King...I would end that immediately. If you want to profit in the USA...you use products and services from other USA businesses whenever possible.

However...if that business has only one source of product (employees) offered at a price set by a monopoly (government and minimum wage) that creates a situation where the cost doesn't offset the benefit...that changes the rule. If you made a $15 minimum wage for "everyone" for example. "Everyone" becomes a monopoly where there isn't competition to allow the price to be competitive. If I have no other choice but to pay $15 per hour for an employee that earns the business only $10 per hour...the business fails. By artificially raising the value and therefor cost of the employee to something unprofitable...and having a monopoly on the supply and availability (ie. no one is allowed to work for less than $15 per hour), allowing the business to seek other sources WOULD be fair.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

Exactly

We are almost there

Yes...it has to do with the consequences of technology and the profit driven business model. However...if the human element becomes more and more expensive and problematic to the business...it contributes to it's own demise. So yes...the minimum wage IS a factor also as is health insurance, and anything else that costs the business IF it continues to utilize human workers.

Min wage hasn't been raised...and they are already to the implimentation phase.

R and D started decades ago..

I agree wages and such might slightly speed up the process, but wages are incredibly low across the board...at least when factoring inflation vs. what previous generations made per hour.

If we went to 15 an hour tomorrow , it wouldn't change the timetable by a year.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

originally posted by: amazing
I think it was already in the works and not to fight the minimum wage increase. Lot's of stores have self checkout now. They had it before any minimum wage increase controversy.

They had to get rid of those self checkouts in my town. People refused to use them. Probably because the bloody thing only worked when it wants to. They had to have staff just to fix the problems those things caused. I think it was more than the actual checkout people.

They were also robbed a lot. Not sure how

Yeah, people don't like em. I think it's the wave of the future in a way, though. We'll start having them everywhere.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I think it was already in the works and not to fight the minimum wage increase. Lot's of stores have self checkout now. They had it before any minimum wage increase controversy.

Oh...I'm calling bullcrap on that comment.

Here is how it works. Humans will be employed at jobs as long as the pain and cost of keeping humans is lower than using machines. Now...what has changed. Lets see:

1. Liberal attitude: "I'm worth more that this" attitude. Sorry Walmart Greeter...no you're not. Get over yourself and your liberal view of being something special that DESERVES something special. Be glad you have a job considering you are un-skilled labor.

2. Insurance - Welcome to Obamacare where employers are FORCED to provide insurance and higher priced insurance and the employees get worse insurance with deductibles so high the insurance never pays anything.

3. The "Raise the Minimum Wage" War - Yet another liberal "genius" idea. Lets FORCE the employers to pay people more when they don't get a greater return on their money. Sure...like you would buy a more expensive brand of the same crappy product.

4. Cheap & Illegal Labor - The liberals want to keep all the illegal aliens here and allow more to just "come on in". Let me let you in on a little secret...THAT CREATES CHEAP LABOR! That is why there are employees (under the table) making $2 per hour.

So...and I'm assuming here. Your liberal beliefs, your FORCING the "evil" employers to lose money is what has lead to this...nothing else. This is your liberal legacy...this is YOUR fault entirely...this is your doing and your forced Utopia's un-doing.

Yup...you made it, you own it and YOU are the problem. Congratulations in your great accomplishment.

HaHa! You're Hilarious. Not sure why you think I'm a Liberal? Or why you think America's problems are only caused by liberals. Brainwashed much? I also love how you tied ObamaCare into self-serve Kiosks at Wendy's that employs mainly part time workers. Not sure how you tied that all in. LOL

Anyways. You missed the point. Sure, Minimum wage increases and increases in health costs can and will drive people to automate if it's cost effective, but...and here's my point. Self Service has been implemented into our society since....1947 with the first self service gas stations, where you pumped your own gas and girls on roller skates came around and took your money and reset the pumps....it's evolved quite a bit since then but we've had self service gas stations for decades. Self Service checkouts at retail and grocery stores for years. You need to do a bit of research.

Still not sure what MY problem or MY accomplishments were towards this but thank you? or should I say your welcome. I had no idea I made customer checkout at the grocery store easier for millions of Americans and people world wide!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

While I understand the point...I don't entirely agree. In my opinion...

It is completely wrong for any US company that can use US labor, supplies and raw materials, to use foreign labor, etc. If I were King...I would end that immediately. If you want to profit in the USA...you use products and services from other USA businesses whenever possible.

However...if that business has only one source of product (employees) offered at a price set by a monopoly (government and minimum wage) that creates a situation where the cost doesn't offset the benefit...that changes the rule. If you made a $15 minimum wage for "everyone" for example. "Everyone" becomes a monopoly where there isn't competition to allow the price to be competitive. If I have no other choice but to pay $15 per hour for an employee that earns the business only $10 per hour...the business fails. By artificially raising the value and therefor cost of the employee to something unprofitable...and having a monopoly on the supply and availability (ie. no one is allowed to work for less than $15 per hour), allowing the business to seek other sources WOULD be fair.

I think a fundamental part you are overlooking is what is a profitable buisness.

If a buisness requires working an adult for 40 hours a week(full time job) for less money then that person could support just themselves (not a family of 4), for them to be profitable. Is that really a profitable business or are they slum lords??

I'm saying that if it requires you to do that to be profitable, then your buisness never was.
It was artificially profitable because you were allowed to "rape and pillage" the community.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
this is what happens when minimum wage workers ask for more money. meet your new co-worker, coming to a restaurant near you.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 13-5-2016 by JourneymanWelder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I'm not arguing automation, I'm arguing the benefit of automation and when and why automation becomes a better value than human labor. While you are welcome to ignore the facts I stated...you provide no other nor do you state a single example of the "right" causing the problem. So without a logical or fact based rebuttal on your part...I'll just leave that as you have nothing to contribute nor a point to make on those subjects.

The fact that the cost of human labor has been increased by Obamacare, a higher minimum wage, etc. is just that...a fact. The higher the cost of human labor, the better automation looks to a business.

It really isn't very difficult to understand. At least for most.

Oh...and LOL!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

They had to get rid of those self checkouts in my town. People refused to use them. Probably because the bloody thing only worked when it wants to. They had to have staff just to fix the problems those things caused. I think it was more than the actual checkout people.

They were also robbed a lot. Not sure how

Yeah, people don't like em. I think it's the wave of the future in a way, though. We'll start having them everywhere.

I promise you that as of today, more people chose self checkout then chose to wait on a checker.

Sure the older generations won't like it, but profitablility is what matters.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

a reply to: amazing

I'm not arguing automation, I'm arguing the benefit of automation and when and why automation becomes a better value than human labor. While you are welcome to ignore the facts I stated...you provide no other nor do you state a single example of the "right" causing the problem. So without a logical or fact based rebuttal on your part...I'll just leave that as you have nothing to contribute nor a point to make on those subjects.

The fact that the cost of human labor has been increased by Obamacare, a higher minimum wage, etc. is just that...a fact. The higher the cost of human labor, the better automation looks to a business.

It really isn't very difficult to understand. At least for most.

Oh...and LOL!

none of your points include the fact that automation is cheaper than human labor before Obama care and obviously before min wage was raised.

Your entire left/right point is based on the thought that it would be cheaper to use people if not for those things..when it's been cheaper to build robots long before Obama care was passed.

Your making the argument like businesses didn't figure out is was cheaper to build robots until 5 years ago..
edit on 13-5-2016 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
this is what happens when minimum wage workers ask for more money. meet your new co-worker, coming to a restaurant near you.

www.youtube.com...

The robots are cheaper than 7.25$ an hour and no insurance..

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

We could probably go back and forth on this forever...but...while you are correct that the "cost of goods sold" does figure into profits, that cost is debatable. From a strictly logical perspective...the business is employing a single person and therefore, the "support" would only matter for that individual, not their family. But that cost isn't something that is factual, but based upon opinion and conjecture.

As a business owner I could argue that you are paying way too much for your rent and therefore, you need to speak to your landlord about adjusting that to something more reasonable than asking me to pay more for your bad rent deal. But I could also say that it isn't my responsibility to pay you enough for your four bedroom home...even though you have a wife and two children. I'm employing only you and therefore should only need to cover 25% of your rent.

That doesn't even get into how a person decides to live. I've met people that live in tents and those who live in mansions. You are welcome to turn down my job offer if it doesn't pay you enough for your mansion...but the government shouldn't require that it does.

The average person can easily live on $20,000 per year (at least here in PA) so $7.25 per hour is low. But $15 per hour is $31,200 and way more than is needed to "live". But again...it depends what you call making a living and what is included. Some people consider things "needs" that are actually "wants". Without defining what is a "need" you can't calculate a fair wage for one person. But if you can...we can actually come up with a fair minimum wage so long as we also consider what is a fair expense. I think $100 per month for cable TV...which some consider a need, is excessive. How about cutting the $100 cable cost instead of forcing the employer to pay more.

Again...we could go on for hours.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Exactly what point of mine, did I "blow out of the water"? You have me a bit lost. I stated what business IS...and stated what I would LIKE business to be. I hope you didn't mix the two.

A robot IS more expensive than $7.25 per hour depending upon the robot's function. If you want to replace a Walmart greeter and the greeter's job is to walk around, smile, speak to the public, hand them a circular, wish them a good day, answer a variety of questions, etc...and you count the cost of the robot, the depreciation, the repairs, having a second on hand during repairs, batteries, etc....$7.25 per hour won't cut it. Today...$7.25 per hour is cheaper than that. It won't be some day in the future.

My job is "creative" and "ideas". My company has a number of completely unique products we sell and services we have to offer. It can't be done by just following trends or copying what others are doing. It requires inventing, re-inventing and creating custom artistic products.

I'd gladly tell you what these are, but It would look spammy.

No a kiosk (because we are mainly talking service industry) is not more expensive than 7.25$ an hour. The kiosk doesn't get sick, steal, need breaks, have personal issues exc.

Now maybe some manufacturing and other such things a more indepth robot might be required. But all of the cashiers and servers (except fine dining) are done. Which make up a huge portion of the min wage employees.

Even with jobs that it is slightly cheaper to employ humans right now, how long does that last? 3 years? 5?

Period we get to totally revamp our economy, because in a very few decades there will not be enough jobs for everyone with a good work ethic..

Hell there are not enough good jobs for all the hard working Americans today.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder

www.youtube.com...

The robots are cheaper than 7.25$ an hour and no insurance..

Great! Send me a walking, talking robot that can greet people at Walmart and I will gladly send you $290 per week. I can send you my address via a PM when you are ready to sign that contract.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Considering the fact that your actions will cause the death of at least some American citizens...HOW MANY DEAD PEOPLE IS YOUR AGENDA WORTH?

www.forbes.com...

I would say coal and oil are killing plenty of people as it is. Green technology kills far less.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join