It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy's to install robotic kiosks across 6,000 restaurants

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Wait, I'm confused...

For the average Conservative having jobs going to China or allowing foreign workers in to do a job for less is "totally unfair!" but building robots to replace people is "free market capitalism"?

Damn, that Conservative hypocrisy is insane!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: MysticPearl

I've spent my working life in the tech industry.

Talk to people who work in service of equipment. it's going lower just like many other jobs. These people won't be designing software. they will be changing boards, etc. Not going to be a high end tech job.

It won't be minimum wage either.

Hence why I compared it to welders, electricians and plumbers, jobs which will be a necessity and you can earn a decent living with. The higher end tech jobs require more education which again goes back to our education problems and that by and large, those jobs pull from a different pool than minimum wage workers.

Supply and Demand Trumps skill every time.
My uncle made 20 bucks an hour in the 80s turning a screw at the factory.
Today people laugh at anyone making more than minimum wage at those kind of jobs.
So we will hear the same in 20 years when everyone is competing to slap a interchangeable board into a robot and laugh at the idea of paying them what they get today.

edit on 13-5-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: alomaha

You cannot keep the same social system (basicly: work in exchange for survival) at this level of technology. Don't you see that pretty soon there won't be need for a majority of human labor that is required today?

Good Post
The old economic model we have had is going obsolete no matter how we look at it.
Technology in its infancy was used to aid workers, now it is replacing workers.

Prior to the 19th century, there were 20+ Million Horses in this country. They were used for Farming, Transportation, Entertainment, War and so on. The horse population dropped like a rock in the next 50 years to 1 Million. Why could the horses not be trained for other purposes?
Humans are not much unlike like horses to business and even to politicians who are looked at as a machine, a cog in the wheel, an expense, not a human being.

The current economic model we have will do the same to humans as it did to horses

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
While I'm sure this will fall upon typically deaf liberal ears...you are 100% correct. Not only Wendy's but Walmart is pushing their self-checkout like crazy now. They have limited cashiers even when the store is busy.

But...just in case some liberal is listening...here is how this works. You can't force "utopia" upon people. If you do, you will not only fail but you will actually make things worse. While you believe $15 per hour is valid, it actually isn't because no one owes another person a life or a living. All they are owed is a fair pay for the work that they perform.

But even worse than that, when you FORCE someone to do something, they may have to act but they don't have to do it in the manner you wish. You liberals have now cost individuals their jobs by forcing the $15 per hour issue. Congratulations...YOU PUT PEOPLE OUT OF WORK!!! That is your legacy as it is with everything else you push but are too ignorant to realize the results and you NEVER take responsibility for your actions. Liberals...apparently...are never wrong. Even when they are.

You don't end coal use in lieu of electric by pulling the carpet out from people's feet. Hillary Clinton is experiencing this, but like any other liberal...not learning. Ultimately, all of your utopia building plans will do nothing but crush jobs, destroy the economy and hurt everyone. In reality...YOU HAVE AND WILL KILL PEOPLE! Understand this! Your progressive actions when forced upon a society will cause some to starve, commit crimes, steal, cheat and lie...but that is what liberals do so I guess you don't care. But I would love to hear one of you answer this question.

Considering the fact that your actions will cause the death of at least some American citizens...HOW MANY DEAD PEOPLE IS YOUR AGENDA WORTH?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Of course, but the basic issue here is how soon the minimum wage line crosses over the robotics cost line. Increasing the minimum wage automatically moves that crossing closer.

It is ironic how it is all folding out.
The Capitalists and the ones crying for minimum wage unknowingly are helping speed up the death of our current economic model.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Willtell

What is the purpose of a business in your mind? Why in the world would anyone expect a business to not utilize any legal means at their disposal to make as much of a return on their investments as possible?

In the earlier days of our countries history, we showed the world how much better our capitalist model was where everyone in this country enjoyed the advantages it had to offer especially when pitted against the Communist Soviet Union where everyone was dirt poor except the state elite.

That is how we showed the system was a winner because it was working for everyone.
If our economic model no longer works for everyone then we have a problem and that is where we are headed.

The purpose of a country and a government does not exist to serve only the few...otherwise, we should disband the country, military, government, currency and so on if we are on our "own"

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I think it was already in the works and not to fight the minimum wage increase. Lot's of stores have self checkout now. They had it before any minimum wage increase controversy.

Oh...I'm calling bullcrap on that comment.

Here is how it works. Humans will be employed at jobs as long as the pain and cost of keeping humans is lower than using machines. Now...what has changed. Lets see:

1. Liberal attitude: "I'm worth more that this" attitude. Sorry Walmart Greeter...no you're not. Get over yourself and your liberal view of being something special that DESERVES something special. Be glad you have a job considering you are un-skilled labor.

2. Insurance - Welcome to Obamacare where employers are FORCED to provide insurance and higher priced insurance and the employees get worse insurance with deductibles so high the insurance never pays anything.

3. The "Raise the Minimum Wage" War - Yet another liberal "genius" idea. Lets FORCE the employers to pay people more when they don't get a greater return on their money. Sure...like you would buy a more expensive brand of the same crappy product.

4. Cheap & Illegal Labor - The liberals want to keep all the illegal aliens here and allow more to just "come on in". Let me let you in on a little secret...THAT CREATES CHEAP LABOR! That is why there are employees (under the table) making $2 per hour.

So...and I'm assuming here. Your liberal beliefs, your FORCING the "evil" employers to lose money is what has lead to this...nothing else. This is your liberal legacy...this is YOUR fault entirely...this is your doing and your forced Utopia's un-doing.

Yup...you made it, you own it and YOU are the problem. Congratulations in your great accomplishment.
edit on 5/13/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

Wow.

Liberals

You use the hand the Government to hike up wages, and CAPITALISTS react by automating, and you claim the "death of Capitalism", because business owners have no other choice.

America 2016

It does not matter if the minimum wage monikers existed in this particular case because it was going to happen anyways.
The only thing that matters is profits to owners and shareholder value.
Unlike the Minimum Wage people, shareholders have no limit on what they want which is why all our jobs went to China in the 90's when the economy was doing good even then.

Minimum Wage Workers do not have Politicians on Speed Dial like Big Business does

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
These things do not replace anybody. What they do, do is create a bottle neck in getting food. The McDonalds I see with these just use them to reduce line, same amount of registers, same amount of cashiers. Just more orders hitting at one time. The manager at the place I went to said they had to ad people to help expedite the food.

Not sure if it will have a down side like self check out. Seems like they just do not work out well. These kiosks however can help reduce lines during busy times so long as additional staff is their to move food faster. May not save payroll but, it can move more people through faster and that is good for profits.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

This has less to do with "Big Business" than it has to do with "Business 101". When you own a business and can provide the same quality of product or service, for a lessor cost, with less aggravation...you would be a stupid business person to not enact that change. Your job as the "Boss" is to keep profits up...to keep your investors happy...and keep your business running and competitive.

Your job as a "Boss" or a business owner is NOT to feed, cloth, insure, pay for transportation, etc. for other people. Namely your employees. Your employees are a "necessary evil" since if you could conduct business without them...you would.

On a separated but related note...I actually own a business whose purpose IS to pay for the employees. Me and two others are involved in the business and our "goal" is simply to cover our desired salaries. Yes...we make a bit more and keep it for unexpected expenses...but in short...if we pay ourselves, our building, our taxes, etc....and still have a little left over, we have met our goal. Isn't that great? Isn't that a wonderful idea?

You would think, but the government takes 40% of that from us thus making us have to work more...thus making us think we need more. Maybe if government (currently Obama, Democrats and liberals) would actually support small businesses instead of trying to KILL them...some of your beliefs would still exist.

So...if you are looking for a source of the problem...an adversary. It isn't the "Boss" nor the business owner, it is the liberal beliefs of the government you have put in place that created the problem. Start there...solve that and maybe some form of what you want can emerge.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

originally posted by: amazing
I think it was already in the works and not to fight the minimum wage increase. Lot's of stores have self checkout now. They had it before any minimum wage increase controversy.

Oh...I'm calling bullcrap on that comment.

Here is how it works. Humans will be employed at jobs as long as the pain and cost of keeping humans is lower than using machines. Now...what has changed. Lets see:

1. Liberal attitude: "I'm worth more that this" attitude. Sorry Walmart Greeter...no you're not. Get over yourself and your liberal view of being something special that DESERVES something special. Be glad you have a job considering you are un-skilled labor.

2. Insurance - Welcome to Obamacare where employers are FORCED to provide insurance and higher priced insurance and the employees get worse insurance with deductibles so high the insurance never pays anything.

3. The "Raise the Minimum Wage" War - Yet another liberal "genius" idea. Lets FORCE the employers to pay people more when they don't get a greater return on their money. Sure...like you would buy a more expensive brand of the same crappy product.

4. Cheap & Illegal Labor - The liberals want to keep all the illegal aliens here and allow more to just "come on in". Let me let you in on a little secret...THAT CREATES CHEAP LABOR! That is why there are employees (under the table) making $2 per hour.

So...and I'm assuming here. Your liberal beliefs, your FORCING the "evil" employers to lose money is what has lead to this...nothing else. This is your liberal legacy...this is YOUR fault entirely...this is your doing and your forced Utopia's un-doing.

Yup...you made it, you own it and YOU are the problem. Congratulations in your great accomplishment.

Self checkouts have been in test marketing LONG before Obama was president..

This isn't a new thing, as min wage hike is a relatively new push. Min wage hasn't changed in 20 years.. I was a teen when it went to 7.25 and hasn't budged since..

Period robots are cheaper then 7.25 an hour. They are cheaper than 5 dollars an hour, prob cheaper than 2$ an hour...

A businesses sole motivation is profit. Not to do what is best for their employees or even customers....

Anyway you measure it, robots are more profitable than humans.. The 15$ an hour stuff is just their attempt to negate pushback from people as ALL the jobs that can go automated do..

Your point that "businesses would keep people (even tho they are inherently more expensive) if they would work for less."

When it is impossible for a human to perform more work or do it cheaper than a kiosk or robot.

That is saying that a businesses main motivation is not profit....
edit on 13-5-2016 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

So...if you are looking for a source of the problem...an adversary. It isn't the "Boss" nor the business owner, it is the liberal beliefs of the government you have put in place that created the problem. Start there...solve that and maybe some form of what you want can emerge.

It is not Liberals or Conservatives that are the issue.
It is Big Banking and Big Business along with their puppet politicians that want to crush out all independent small business so they have complete and total power over everyone.

The RNC and DNC Party Delegates consist of Corporate and Banking Lobbyists and they choose who they want to run, not the American Voters.

Obama was put in by Banking and Corporate Lobbyists that own in the DNC and they want you out of business.

link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

In the very short term? Absolutely. In the mid to long term (think 10-25 years) there will be robots that are far better at repairing robots than any technician. They'll work 24/7 without demanding call, as well.

link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

We are saying the same thing. Business exists to profit...PERIOD! If that profit can be larger with a human, they will use a human. If it is higher with a machine, they will use a machine. And they should do just that. That is the job of the business owner to make a profit. The business exists for no other reason.

So if you thought I was saying differently, I wasn't. However...the combination of a "human employee's" pay, forced health care, unemployment insurance, vacations, sick days, training, etc. puts the human at a disadvantage to the machine. Couple that with the attitude of many today that they are "special" or that they are "more important" than their work doesn't help much either. A machine doesn't get an attitude nor does it call out when it spent a long night playing.

In short...machines will replace all of us except for the "creative" (musicians, artists, etc.) if we can't compete with the machine.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Your job as a "Boss" or a business owner is NOT to feed, cloth, insure, pay for transportation, etc. for other people. Namely your employees. Your employees are a "necessary evil" since if you could conduct business without them...you would.

The problem I have with this kind of thinking though makes slave owners from Americans Early History Saints compared to your version. They owned the slaves but they also had to house, feed and clothe them.

That sounds like someone that wants their cake and eat it to or have no skin in the game.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

It is not Liberals or Conservatives that are the issue.
It is Big Banking and Big Business along with their puppet politicians that want to crush out all independent small business so they have complete and total power over everyone.

The RNC and DNC Party Delegates consist of Corporate and Banking Lobbyists and they choose who they want to run, not the American Voters.

Obama was put in by Banking and Corporate Lobbyists that own in the DNC and they want you out of business.

While I don't disagree with you and while I do understand all the inner-workings of our government, it is (in my opinion) the left that has damaged small business far more than the right. The right didn't force Obamacare that hurts small business for example. Those who claim to champion the "people" (ie. the left) have done nothing to help, and a lot to hurt small businesses.

I would be as loud about the right if they called themselves the defender of the people. But they don't...the left claim that title and are therefore a bit worse than the right.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

The problem I have with this kind of thinking though makes slave owners from Americans Early History Saints compared to your version. They owned the slaves but they also had to house, feed and clothe them.

Again...it shouldn't be a problem. I would love to see a business model that DOES take care of their employees. As I stated...I have one. But that isn't what the government supports. As you know and stated, the government supports the death of small business and the glorification of big businesses. Why? Because they can take more from big businesses, control more about big businesses and it is easier to target a hundred or so big companies than 1000000 or so small ones.

I get it...I want it changed. But like they say about insanity, continuing to do what we allow to be done won't fix a thing.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

This has less to do with "Big Business" than it has to do with "Business 101". When you own a business and can provide the same quality of product or service, for a lessor cost, with less aggravation...you would be a stupid business person to not enact that change. Your job as the "Boss" is to keep profits up...to keep your investors happy...and keep your business running and competitive.

On a separated but related note...I actually own a business whose purpose IS to pay for the employees. Me and two others are involved in the business and our "goal" is simply to cover our desired salaries. Yes...we make a bit more and keep it for unexpected expenses...but in short...if we pay ourselves, our building, our taxes, etc....and still have a little left over, we have met our goal. Isn't that great? Isn't that a wonderful idea?

You would think, but the government takes 40% of that from us thus making us have to work more...thus making us think we need more. Maybe if government (currently Obama, Democrats and liberals) would actually support small businesses instead of trying to KILL them...some of your beliefs would still exist.

Exactly lol...you just blew your own point out of the water lol!

Or are you saying robots are more expensive than 7.25$ without insurance..because they are not.

Robots don't get sick, they don't need breaks or vacations. They don't need retirement, or food.

Exactly as you said, no buisness would take a less profitable option when a more profitable one is available...and robots are inherently more profitable...

What is your occupation?

Just wondering how long you have before your job is gone..

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

While I don't disagree with you and while I do understand all the inner-workings of our government, it is (in my opinion) the left that has damaged small business far more than the right. The right didn't force Obamacare that hurts small business for example.

Yes, but again if you are focusing on the left, then nothing will ever change.
Obamacare should more appropriately be called permanent Pharma and Insurance Bailouts.

Everyone's premiums went up, the uninsured had it already free with a trip to the Emergency Room, and Insurance and Pharma stock went through the roof.

When you are at the top of the totem pole in shoveling money to politicians, it is not hard to see the game for what it is.

www.opensecrets.org...

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832

Electric Utilities $2,013,127,133
Electronics Mfg & Equip $1,823,347,451
Business Associations $1,811,811,643
Oil & Gas $1,715,405,541
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,416,425,661
Education $1,399,862,870
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,310,021,801
Telecom Services $1,271,840,866
Securities & Investment $1,264,774,284
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,216,181,432
Real Estate $1,215,135,758
Health Professionals $1,189,983,794
Air Transport $1,125,384,003
Misc Issues $929,225,311
Automotive $891,793,138
Defense Aerospace $887,354,553
Health Services/HMOs $863,410,051
TV/Movies/Music $851,379,595

The right will not repeal Obamacare because it has already been bought and paid for by Lobbyists who own DC

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Exactly what point of mine, did I "blow out of the water"? You have me a bit lost. I stated what business IS...and stated what I would LIKE business to be. I hope you didn't mix the two.

A robot IS more expensive than $7.25 per hour depending upon the robot's function. If you want to replace a Walmart greeter and the greeter's job is to walk around, smile, speak to the public, hand them a circular, wish them a good day, answer a variety of questions, etc...and you count the cost of the robot, the depreciation, the repairs, having a second on hand during repairs, batteries, etc....$7.25 per hour won't cut it. Today...$7.25 per hour is cheaper than that. It won't be some day in the future.

My job is "creative" and "ideas". My company has a number of completely unique products we sell and services we have to offer. It can't be done by just following trends or copying what others are doing. It requires inventing, re-inventing and creating custom artistic products.

I'd gladly tell you what these are, but It would look spammy.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join