It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy's to install robotic kiosks across 6,000 restaurants

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Re-education camps are soon to be.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If I had a restaurant, I'd hire young women with large breasts to be my counter help or waitresses.

How do you think "Hooters" would do with with robots?

I won't be going to Wendy's anymore even though I like their chili. I'll just take my business to mom and pop food joint where they will appreciate my patronage.

Those franchise owners ARE mom and pop operations. Note the OP said the self-serving kiosks will be OFFERED to franchisees by Wendy's corporate, and it will be up to them whether to use the labor-saving technology or not.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Do you think the crusade is a red herring?

I think that people are going to progress. Jobs are going to be eliminated as a result just as technology has always done. Instead of looking at it as holding back progress to keep these low end jobs for a couple more years, why not look at it as helping our robotics industry gain some more market share a couple years earlier than it otherwise would have?

Edit: And no, we've been over this before. I'm all for eliminating jobs, I'm also all for increasing the minimum wage. In my opinion it's a much better society to eliminate 10 minimum wage jobs and replace them with 4 living wage jobs and 6 people without jobs. In that situation you go from having 10 people not making enough to be self sufficient to 4 people with some type of education supporting themselves, and 6 people who aren't able to support themselves. That makes for a more independent society.
edit on 12-5-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I won't be going to Wendy's anymore even though I like their chili

Their chili is the worst - it's day old burgers broken up and thrown in the chili vat rather then the garbage where it belongs, ecch!

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

That's basically what the "cloud" provides for many of these businesses. It means a lot of different things depending on what you're after, but overall the concerns of shrinking IT departments due to automation is legit. See I went around that by going the entrepreneur IT guy. I find startups that have a solid idea, but can't quite market it yet to investors, offer my monies and services, and mostly learn it as I go with increasingly larger projects, setting them up, taking a piece of the pie, and then moving onto the next.

If you're a jack of all trades in IT, and willing to take big risks bypassng the corporate madness, then you can still be relevant for some time yet.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: xuenchen

Automation could be a good thing and an engine to progress, if it's overhauled because of a minimum wage increase all the better, isn't that a sign of society getting healthier? If everything becomes automated then jobs will open up to service these machines the tech industry will explode. So raise the minimum wage and also drive towards automation what's the problem?

So you believe there will be one technician full time assigned to every automated individual task handler? That's the only way what you're saying could possibly even out. In reality, you'd probably see one or two technicians hired for every 50 service jobs lost to automation. Who picks up the slack? The tax payers will, of course, via more welfare and social programs.

You're trading 50 $10 an hour, 30+ hour a week jobs for (most likely) 1 $30 an hour, 40 hour a week job. How often in your life have you accepted a trade offer whereby you gave someone $15,000 in exchange for $1,200 every week? Did it balance out for you?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: xuenchen
Do you think the crusade is a red herring?

I think that people are going to progress. Jobs are going to be eliminated as a result just as technology has always done. Instead of looking at it as holding back progress to keep these low end jobs for a couple more years, why not look at it as helping our robotics industry gain some more market share a couple years earlier than it otherwise would have?

Exactly! It will create higher end jobs in the service and manufacturing of these robotics! Why not evolve with the times rather than hold individuals in lower end jobs? Education is key, though. Agriculturally, we now have planters and harvesters available, that removed many individual workers from the occupations, but those were low end jobs. Many more jobs were created in the manufacture, retail, and servicing field by the creation of this innovation. All paying better than workers in the field!

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I bet you will be first in-line :-)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

As @burdman30ott6 said, there's just no way for everyone losing a job to be expected to level up their capacities to handle the higher end jobs that will become available. People have limitations, and when they can no longer handle what is available in the market, the two outcomes are either get rid of them, or provide for them.

If, we manage to restructure the whole of our societies to accommodate for the inevitable influx of hundreds of millions of jobless wordwide as we advance, then we can avert some sort of Holocaust. The jobs that are secure are in high level creation, and outright innovation, everything else has an expiration date of not too far in the future.
edit on 12-5-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
And you know what we should do when they do that

Boycott them…their food is unhealthy anyway

Amazing the elite are so greedy there going to get rid of even minimum wage jobs

Because of their greed they have outsourced most of the good manufacturing jobs

Outsourced many of the great tech jobs

But that’s not enough now they want to take away the minimum wage jobs to punish the people

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

That's basically what the "cloud" provides for many of these businesses. It means a lot of different things depending on what you're after, but overall the concerns of shrinking IT departments due to automation is legit. See I went around that by going the entrepreneur IT guy. I find startups that have a solid idea, but can't quite market it yet to investors, offer my monies and services, and mostly learn it as I go with increasingly larger projects, setting them up, taking a piece of the pie, and then moving onto the next.

If you're a jack of all trades in IT, and willing to take big risks bypassng the corporate madness, then you can still be relevant for some time yet.

As my hubby told me, corporate loves the word 'innovation'. They don't want to know how, just that it works! ( exclusion is those damn auditors hollering about ...protocols!

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If I had a restaurant, I'd hire young women with large breasts to be my counter help or waitresses.

Small business, I like it.

I also like boobs.

You might have found a winning formula.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Yea, I'm sure they can make that claim, all the while stifling it with all their damned politics and protocol.

So glad I had mentors who steered me clear of the corporate route.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Automation could be a good thing and an engine to progress, if it's overhauled because of a minimum wage increase all the better, isn't that a sign of society getting healthier? If everything becomes automated then jobs will open up to service these machines the tech industry will explode. So raise the minimum wage and also drive towards automation what's the problem?

I read lot of your posts and I consider you an inteligent person. That's why I find it's mind boggling that you and vast majority of people don't understand that solution is not that easy. It's simple math. Do you think that each of those machines will require it's own techician? That for each machine we will have a person who is going t service it? If it was the case, than it would be much cheaper for those companies to continue to have those minimum wage workers in the first place, don't you see?

You cannot keep the same social system (basicly: work in exchange for survival) at this level of technology. Don't you see that pretty soon there won't be need for a majority of human labor that is required today? So what is going to be your solution for that? Just to leave those 80% people that don't have a "purpose" to quietly starve to death? And even if we do that, 80% of those still standing would instantly lose their "purpose"...

We as a humanity totally lost a perspective. We don't exist to work, but work as a way to support our existance.

edit on 12-5-2016 by alomaha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Okay I'll stop hogging the thread, but you know... they have strippers in the restaurants around here. I mean it's totally see through, thongs, wet t-shirts, and it's all legal? I don't get it, but they get away with it, and damned if they don't make a killing.

I think the cops enjoy it their-selves too much to bother shutting the places down.
edit on 12-5-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This was inevitable even if there wasn't talk of a minimum wage increase.
All these companies are looking to increase the bottom line and cutting who you have to pay,regardless of how much, accomplishes that.

Of course, but the basic issue here is how soon the minimum wage line crosses over the robotics cost line. Increasing the minimum wage automatically moves that crossing closer. And when it DOES cross, those minimum wage jobs will be gone. That "there is more to it" really misses the point that this is a serious driver of the effect. OF COURSE 'there is more to it.' A simple recession will cause jobs to be lost, too. Add those two together and we'll have massive unemployment.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

What is the purpose of a business in your mind? Why in the world would anyone expect a business to not utilize any legal means at their disposal to make as much of a return on their investments as possible?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

A return on their investment by what means? In what way are they investing. You know for some people, operating a business is about providing a service for their community, and not a mere means to maximize capital gains.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

As @burdman30ott6 said, there's just no way for everyone losing a job to be expected to level up their capacities to handle the higher end jobs that will become available. People have limitations, and when they can no longer handle what is available in the market, the two outcomes are either get rid of them, or provide for them.

If, we manage to restructure the whole of our societies to accommodate for the inevitable influx of hundreds of millions of jobless wordwide as we advance, then we can avert some sort of Holocaust. The jobs that are secure are in high level creation, and outright innovation, everything else has an expiration date of not too far in the future.

You do make a very valid point! I have no problem with hand up assistance! I don't believe in hand outs though. I have known too many extremely disabled individuals who worked part-time to mainly experience confidence and relevancy in the world. They have always been role models to me!

With a temporary hand up, most will find a new job that will suffice. Life is never guaranteed. Individuals have to want to really live and survive.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yes this is true but as you can see the bi partisan approach to conservative vs liberal logic has taken over rather than intelligent thought.

This is good for society lets end these needless jobs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join