It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say aliens are probably visiting earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
In an amazing turnaround from previous statements, American scientists are quoted in an article in the reputable journal Space.com as saying that visitation by ET's is now viewd as highly likely.

Check out the article here: ET's likely visiting Earth

[edit on 1/14/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Already covered in the following thread. Good story though.

Scientists are baffled Earth should be part of an intelligent extraterrestrial community

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
OK. Hmmmm. I do see, though, at least 3 threads running in 2 different sections on the Huygens probe landing on Titan. That's big news, of course. However, IMO, so is the revelation that scientists are now changing their minds on this subject after at least 50 years of denial.

[edit on 1/14/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Trick or Treat, what you see may not be what you think

E_T

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Already covered in the following thread. Good story though.

Scientists are baffled Earth should be part of an intelligent extraterrestrial community
What intelligence?

I sure as h*ll can't find much anything intelligent from most of mankinds behavior.

What good it would do if some highly advanced alien specie would contact us and give, for example more efficient power production technology like anti matter?
After that they would have to continuously watch us to prevent warlords using that technology to blow up other people/whole planet.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-Calvin

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Maybe they could offer up a bit of moral support? I can see why aliens might not want to interact with us given our collective stupidity, but maybe they have made contact with some of the smarter people. It’s good that scientists are considering this.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kode
Maybe they could offer up a bit of moral support? I can see why aliens might not want to interact with us given our collective stupidity, but maybe they have made contact with some of the smarter people. It’s good that scientists are considering this.

Why do you believe that any alien race would be different from us? Being a product of their natural environment, I suspect that they would have many of the same flaws that we do.

You seem to believe that they would have overcome their tendencies towards promoting their personal wants and needs over those of others, yet at the same time you say that its possible that they've contacted some of the 'smarter people'. But wouldn't that be favoring a group of people and potentially creating an elite class? Wouldn't this run contrary to a civilization that had achieved some utopia? It would seem to me that if they had somehow managed to achieve such a society (which I doubt), they would, for better or worse, make their presence known to everyone or to no one, but certainly not a select few.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
maybe there like the aliens in THE ABYSS and they released that huge tsunami.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What if Aliens came to earth and the first thing they saw was the Super Bowl?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy

Wha if aliens came to earth and the first thing they saw was, well, practically any of the garbage on TV?

I wouldn't blame them for blowing up the planet...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Originally posted by Thatoneguy

Wha if aliens came to earth and the first thing they saw was, well, practically any of the garbage on TV?

I wouldn't blame them for blowing up the planet...

....They mostly come here for the babes....

[ET has about as much esteem for us on the whole as big city folks have for Missouri trailer park residents...]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Why do you believe that any alien race would be different from us? Being a product of their natural environment, I suspect that they would have many of the same flaws that we do.

You seem to believe that they would have overcome their tendencies towards promoting their personal wants and needs over those of others, yet at the same time you say that its possible that they've contacted some of the 'smarter people'. But wouldn't that be favoring a group of people and potentially creating an elite class? Wouldn't this run contrary to a civilization that had achieved some utopia? It would seem to me that if they had somehow managed to achieve such a society (which I doubt), they would, for better or worse, make their presence known to everyone or to no one, but certainly not a select few.

oh, well, thats your opinion isnt it

They may very well have the same traits we do, then again they may not, we don’t really know do we, we can only make assumptions on the evidence we perceive.

[edit on 15-1-2005 by kode]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

oh, well, thats your opinion isnt it

They may very well have the same traits we do, then again they may not, we don’t really know do we, we can only make assumptions on the evidence we perceive.

[edit on 15-1-2005 by kode]

Yes, and that is the point I was trying to get across in the first paragraph. We cannot assume that an alien race has overcome the problems that we suffer from. For better or worse, they could be a lot more like us than a lot of people want to believe. Or maybe not. We actually can't assume much of anything about them, as we have no real evidence to base those assumptions on.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
i just can't believe it took them 50 years to figure that out.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
centurion says:

" However, IMO, so is the revelation that scientists are now changing their minds on this subject after at least 50 years of denial."

That's a bogus comment.

First, contrary to your heading of "Scientists say aliens are probably visiting Earth", what the article really said was that some scientists believe in "...the strong probability that we should be in the midst of one or more huge extraterrestrial civilizations...."

That doesn't mean that aliens are" probably visiting Earth" or even that they ever have. It just means that some of these scientists think that we could be in the middle of a large area where there's a possibliity of life.

Second, scientists have never been "in denial" of the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligent life; they'd always believed that the chances of them ever visiting here are pretty slim -- and most of them still do.

However, we know now that a lot of solar systems have planets -- and that some of those planets might be able to support carbon-based life. Scientists, being people who are willing to change gtheir views based on evidence, are saying -- quite rightly -- that there is a better chance of there being extraterrestrial life and even intelligent life out there.

This is a long step from "aliens are probably visiting Earth".

If you were in Journalism 101, that article would've got you an F for the course.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
For Earth to be being visted by aliens makes several assumptions.

1. There are alien species. [That seems likely]
2. They have the ability to get here through time or space. [difficult to know]
3. We [or the planet] are worth visiting. Are we entertaining, useful, smart , or close enough to bother visiting? [depending on your personal or species vanity or valuation of the Earth & its resources and having no 'yardstick' with which to measure this one is totally up in the air.]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
QUOTE:
It might even be possible to get around the speed of light limit by moving in and out of these (our 3D space, 4D, 5D, 6D, etc...) dimensions.

FINALLY american scientist are getting that.

soviets/russians got that not long after overhauling the whole model of physics (or whattever its called) and are only were waiting for usa to catch up.

Good News!

[edit on 20-1-2005 by titus]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
if aliens are actually visiting the earth from other galaxies or even solar systems they MUST have overcome humans' warlike qualities.

because whoever posseses the technology to travel those kinds of distances already has god like power.

?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
For Earth to be being visted by aliens makes several assumptions.

1. There are alien species. [That seems likely]
2. They have the ability to get here through time or space. [difficult to know]
3. We [or the planet] are worth visiting. Are we entertaining, useful, smart , or close enough to bother visiting? [depending on your personal or species vanity or valuation of the Earth & its resources and having no 'yardstick' with which to measure this one is totally up in the air.]

What a set of assumptions about assumptions..sheesh! i can't believe what i'm reading.
Especially point # 3. Listen..why do we send probes to other places in the solar syatem, eh? For the entertainment value?
Here are two of the first three fundamentals of life
1st..life eats life to stay alive.
2nd, It is the nature of all life to explore opportunity...

If you want to live in denial, be my guest, but it would be the courteous thing to do to back it up with some hard science or thoughtful and considered rebuttal.

Y'know, we live in what all scientists agree is a young part of the cosmos, that our little corner of the sky is about 1 billion years younger than the rest of the galalxy. One Billion Years.
In the late 1880's we fought the battle of Little Big Horn, the last one in which the other opposing conventional force had bows abd arrows. 60 years later we dropped an atomic bomb on japan. 60 years aftere that we are dropping probes on the surface of mars and the moons of saturn..
Where do you think we'll be in another 600 years, or 6,000?

As for all the arguments about speed of light...read about the zero-point field:www.science-spirit.org...

String Theory and parallel universe theory have been given wide acceptance in the physics community..meaning inter-dimensional travel is not to be dismissed lightly.
If you don't have the grey matter to handle these concepts, then why believe you have anything significant to say about 'greys'

I honestly don't get it.

-Sincerely
-Shai

And try explaining this with one of your "assumptions"..
www.unexplainable.net...

www.naturalhealthholistic.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Firstly _rich_,
There is no reason to think that aliens had somehow overcome the shadow of war just because they made it all the way to earth. For all we know, they could have made it here precisely to escape war. That's pure speculation, of course, but I think equally or even more likely than outgrowing war altogether. On the subject as a whole however, I think that it's certianly possible that they have been or are visiting us. This wouldn's really be much of a surprise. But, regarding direct contact with humans, I'm very doubtful. They would have nothing to gain except maybe amusement or curiosity of some kind. I don't think really that we would be anymore than a wast of their time.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by spike]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join