It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

an odd super power that I have

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Or......

It's a super power! Just like my being able to fly.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I have a superpower: i can compress information very efficiently. Be it using metaphors to summarize an idea succinctly, or taking large data sets and making them smaller and more managable, I am very proficient at compressing information.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Hard to tell the "degree" (heh) to which you are being exposed to burning heat, but when I was working in restaurants, often grabbing hot plates bare-handed because it was more efficient that way, I would carry plates across the building and up a flight of stairs to the loft, calmly setting them on the table while warning customers "the plate is extremely hot."

Inevitably, at least one person would adjust the plate bare-handed, figuring "it can't be that hot" if I carried it all that way with no problem. That person would immediately incur visible burns and look at me with a look that says, "what kind of freak are you?! - Can you fly, too?!" I don't think fingers at least need to look/feel calloused to have such defenses built up, as mine were plenty soft at the time.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I was a server too and had to carry very hot plates, I did it bc I had to, usually used a towel but was a little more tolerant of heat than most even then. I just dealt with it, it hurt sometimes but never a blister.

However, this no-blister thing is odd to me in that I can pin-point my last blister and know that I have not had one since. Touch hot ovens, pans, stove-tops...all things I have always gotten a blister from. I can still carry a hot plate and freak out my fave Mexican servers who place the hot place down with towel ..."Don't touch" and I immediately do and look at them like "what?"

Maybe years of touching hot plates finally gave me immunity to blisters? I dunno, it just doesn't seem right tho. I should not be able to type right now after what happened last night.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

lol, the last sentence was cracking me up. Honestly, I've had should-be burns, should-be breaks, etc., that have at times made me feel like Wolverine from the X-Men. Unfortunately, the only way to "test it" or get video, etc., would be to purposely burn yourself, which would not only be stupid, but really hard to do, from a willpower standpoint. It's kind of a Catch-23, in that you'd like to witness it some more, but, you obviously aren't exactly looking forward to the next time you accidentally grab a 400-degree pan!

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

I was a server too and had to carry very hot plates, I did it bc I had to, usually used a towel but was a little more tolerant of heat than most even then. I just dealt with it, it hurt sometimes but never a blister.

However, this no-blister thing is odd to me in that I can pin-point my last blister and know that I have not had one since. Touch hot ovens, pans, stove-tops...all things I have always gotten a blister from. I can still carry a hot plate and freak out my fave Mexican servers who place the hot place down with towel ..."Don't touch" and I immediately do and look at them like "what?"

Maybe years of touching hot plates finally gave me immunity to blisters? I dunno, it just doesn't seem right tho. I should not be able to type right now after what happened last night.

I have worked with people in the food industry that had gotten used to very hot water washing dishes. It is not a super power... be careful and be safe.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

yeah, im not going to prove this, Im not stupid.

When I do burn myself, I do retract in pain, but have learned to adopt the mindset of "oh well, it will be better in a few minutes with no blister" and go on with my chores as if nothing happened. I do not stop to run it thru cold water or put aloe on it as I once used to.

This has only happened a few times, I don't severely burn myself all the time. Walking on the hot concrete barefoot or touching a hot plate is not included in these few times bc they have never produced a blister on me.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Regarding any burn, you should first put it under lukewarm water--NOT COLD--and slowly make that water colder, but not too quickly, and keep it under that water for a long time. That helps burns a lot. I've never heard of the liquid soap thing, wouldn't that seal the heat in? Regardless, I think the water thing would be the best course of action first, possibly followed by the soap thing.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Yeah, I don't burn in the sun. I get a tan if I am in it for a long time, but no redness or pain like everyone else. I also avoid the sun like the plague because it ages people and I like being translucently pale. I'm half-Mexican, so I think that might be why the sun acts differently on me. It makes my mom and other family members on her side break out into a rash, though. I've gotten that, too, after being in the sun without protection (I don't do sunscreen really. Except when I went to Punta Cana).

I've gotten a third-degree burn once on my pinky finger when I was a kid and touched a hot plate in school while our class was making ginger bread lol. And I worked at Starbucks for a while a few years ago, and of course got hot things on me with disturbing regularity. But when I got a second-degree burn, it seemed bad that first day for a few hours, but by the next day it was like it had never happened. Heat doesn't really bother me, though, and I can pick up hot things that other people can't pick up due to them being 'too hot'. I don't know if it's really that weird, or if it's just that everybody is different.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Something like this happened to me around 2012.I wouldn't say its a superpower but it was weird allright.I was taking something outa the oven and burned 2 of my fingers badly.I could smell burnt flesh and the skin on my fingers was seared white.I was waiting for monstrous pain to hit me and thrust my hand under the cold tap.No pain came.I had noticef a blister also forming just before i thrust my hand under the tap.

I was softly stroking my burnt fingers under the cold running water+kept thinking soon its gonna start hurting like hell.But it did'nt and when i removed my hand from under the water to look at my fingers-the blister was gone,the seared flesh,everything-and the skin on those burnt fingers looked fresh and new.Very weird event that.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

yeah, that's what happens to me, only I have learned to not waste my time putting it under cold water anymore bc I know what will happen, it will go away in a few minutes.

I never smelt burnt flesh, but I have seen redness and blister disappear very quickly.

has it happened to you since?
edit on 12-5-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

My best guess is you burn off your nerve endings until they are less sensitive. My dad does this treatment where the doctors burn away the nerve endings in his back with lasers. Chronic back pain from slipped discs.

www.spine-health.com...
edit on 12-5-2016 by Sillyosaurus because: Link

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyosaurus

so maybe less nerve endings means no more blisters? I can dig that. Probably finished them off with the last "big blister".

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Film it and post it online. Interesting.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia
Yah, liquid dishwashing soap is the best for first and second degree burns only.. The secondary burn and blisters don't materialize. It has to be done quick, right after receiving the burn.

Learned that in the boy scouts long time ago. When you burn yourself, rub the spot with liberal dose of soap, leave it on.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Danowski

Does this answer your question.....

I DONT! I have never done that, im not crazy. As I stated in the OP I will not conduct experiments on myself.

So you are just a normal person - or everybody else has superpowers too. Guess what, you are not the only one who doesn't suffers blisters if they pull back fast enough.

Wtf is this?

ETA: A few days I made popcorn and burned myself with hot steam, since I was kinda busy I had no time for cold water. A few hours the blister was gone - magic!
edit on 12-5-2016 by Danowski because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I dont sunburn either, I wonder if you are burning scar tissue on your hands so it reacts differently
than fresh skin?..

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Be very careful before thinking you are blessed with a super power that could potentially lead to the permanent loss of a digit/extremity.

Leidenfrost Effect

The Leidenfrost effect is a physical phenomenon in which a liquid, in near contact with a mass significantly hotter than the liquid's boiling point, produces an insulating vapor layer keeping that liquid from boiling rapidly. Due to this ‘repulsive force,’ the droplet hovers over the surface rather than making physical contact with it. This is most commonly seen when cooking: one sprinkles drops of water in a pan to gauge its temperature: if the pan's temperature is at or above the Leidenfrost point, the water skitters across the pan and takes longer to evaporate than in a pan below the temperature of the Leidenfrost point (but still above boiling temperature).

This is how people walk across hot coals. Ostensibly their sweat forms a protective layer.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore
You can see that here. One of the Myth Busters guys puts his hand into molten lead.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

It just happened to me last night. I seared my fingers on my stove, I was cleaning it with a wet wipe.

Ha ha! I've been there..

Your situation sounds completely normal to me. It probably has to do with differences in temperature, contact time, and location on body.

I burn myself on flat irons, stoves, and various things because I'm clumsy. I don't seem to get blisters from those things. Although, I feel like I have gotten blisters from heat at some point in my life.

I avoid the sun most of the time. I'm very pale/blonde and start turning red after just minutes of being in direct sunlight. I've had blisters on my nose from too much sun.

I seem to get blisters from friction the most, I think. Try wearing high heels on a day when you're constantly on your feet and see if you blister.

So, yeah, anyway, I think it's very normal to not blister from burns.

Last summer, my boyfriend put his arm against a lawnmower that was sitting in the sun. He had a disgusting, huge blister that scarred very badly. You could try that too.. (please don't though)

If it was a superpower, you'd make an excellent fireman/firewoman!
edit on 12-5-2016 by paperdoll because: thought of something else

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join