It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Sex abuse victim in her 20s allowed by doctors to choose euthanasia due to 'incurable' PTSD

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:55 AM
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Yea, made me wonder if maybe the medical team is just tired of dealing with her.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:03 PM

originally posted by: TonyS

Yea, made me wonder if maybe the medical team is just tired of dealing with her.

And if that is the reason then it's a damn shame there isn't enough compassion in this world, and if her support at home was none existent maybe these drs was the only support she had.
Never underestimate a hug from your SO or someone you love.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:07 PM
a reply to: TonyS

My thought exactly. This case stinks long way.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:44 PM
It's just sad there are no people who can help certain people, besides how there are people abusing others. I hope more people will see through this illusion medical science has all the answers because this clearly shows they don't.

I'm just practical here - better such people who give up and are given up on get euthanasia rather then throwing themselves in front of a train or attempting suicide with a mix of drugs and/or alcohol or physical injury and might even fail doing so.

Perhaps this will make people think and changes might be made in society so in the long run people will treat diseases differently. I do hope it doesn't lead to what another poster said; less caring for people's fate, less willing people to spend money on people which are given up on and sooner opting for suggesting euthanasia and maybe at some point forcing it because it would be "best for the patient".

Mental healthcare is not that great actually in the Netherlands, it's all about drugs, reputations of psychiatrists, stigma's and unscientific diagnosis and keeping society safe of individuals who might be a danger to themselves or others, even though there is a core of genuinely caring people but they are generally not in positions of any power and just do whatever the psychiatrists say.

By unscientific diagnosis, I mean lack of actual physical evidence or fact checking like DNA tests or brainscans, even if that is not fullproof anyway. For example, a person might do drugs early in life, get a psychosis and misdiagnosis of schizophrenia, then the drug use might end and the symptoms might go away, but now the person is a patient and treated like one. There is no way for such a person to prove it's not what the psychiatrist says it is, nor will he or she have a fair chance because their repution is smashed once the words "mentall illness" pop up, nobody sane takes the side of a patient vs the psychiatrist. And then there's the money; mental health care workers are not holy and need money just like everybody else and for that, they need patients. And those are the ones who care and decide to do something about it, the majority of the population does not really care about mental healthcare and avoids it like the plague.

The Netherlands is moving more to euthanasia, a few months ago there was actually a documentary ("Levenseindekliniek" or clinic for termination of life, literally) showing a woman ending her life and several other people with a deathwish, quite intense. But at least people are talking about it and maybe they'll start asking questions.
edit on 12-5-2016 by johnnyjoe1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:54 PM
If I was her parent would defend her with all my might and take her far away from all of them if necessary.

Assisted suicide is for those terminal patients, not emotionally traumatized and harmed. They need to spend a lifetime healing without poverty, surrounded in beauty.

edit on 12-5-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:55 PM
They're trying to allow assisted suicide for mental patients now. This is the most evil slippery slope there is.
edit on 12-5-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:58 PM

Quietus - coming to a pharmacy near you.

Our future has been foretold.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:00 PM
Psychiatry is unworkable and pseudo-science. The "mental health" industry failed this woman as they do so many others.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:01 PM
a reply to: Unity_99

I'm sorry, what?

Did you bother to read the story?

The judge declared her totally competent, and with no major depression or other serious disorder that would affect her ability to make the decision.

She has been under the care of professionals for years, and has made this choice on her own.

Yea, it happens, get over it, and quit trying to find evil all over the place.

Freaking ridiculous.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:06 PM

This idea is crazy from the get go.What does it mean they are allowing her permission? I mean what the hell? She doesnt need anyones permission.

Jump off a cliff. Walk in front of a truck. There are a thousand ways to achieve the desired effect.

Whose gonna choose to let doctors...or anyone else...ALLOW them to give permission to end of life?????

I feel terrible for her and what she's gone dont put her through more....

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:10 PM
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I'd agree the wording is a bit off-setting, but I think this shows just how much people fear death in general. The idea is likely that she's to a point where she wants it all to end, but doesn't want to go through a terrible ending trying to do it on her own.

You know... it would suck to jump off a cliff and wake up in the hospital a few weeks later with broken bones coming out of a coma to live out your life as a quadriplegic. So even though she is being "allowed" if you can get pass the wording it's more that she is being given a means to end her life without an additional burden in the process.
edit on 12-5-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:15 PM
a reply to: mysterioustranger

No she doesn't. But being able to die on her own terms, with their help, means that nobody else would have been possibly traumatized by some other methods you mention.

Personally, since she seems to have made the choice, in sound mind, I'm glad they helped her. I don't think there was anything nefarious with the doctors.
While it is very hard for many people to deal with the loss of a loved one, I personally believe that it is just a release for us. A release from this physical body, and any pain and suffering we have to deal with.

I hope she found peace.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:23 PM
If anyone has ever lost a loved one as I have and also people close to me have... there are quiet peaceful means to this end without having to jump off a cliff or throw yourself in front of a train and even if they pass quietly and easily by their own hands... it is a heart wrenching experience to see a loved one go, through the means of suicide.

I understand when someone has no one in their family or friends to turn to, so they look for help from professionals for guidance. To be guided or what have you into suicide, instead of showing that there is love and warmth in the world by and from professionals is a very sad state.

So, instead of therapy we now offer suicide or pills.
There was a time in psychiatry that believed in the power to heal through therapy... and I mean psychiatrists that took the time to understand the layers of the mind and work through issues. Now it is pills.
Now it is death.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:33 PM

Nikki Kenward, from disability rights group Distant Voices, said: "It is both horrifying and worrying that mental health professionals could regard euthanasia in any form as an answer to the complex and deep wounds that result from sexual abuse."

This ^

I'm just shocked.

Modern, Western country, stone's throw from Britain, member of the EU.

The EU says/does nothing.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:42 PM
I wish there wasn't such a negative stigma about taking anti depressants, they saved me from wanting to commit suicide after I had a brain hemorrhage in 2014. So they saved my life

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:07 PM
In the United States we give them EBT so they can buy sneakers and iPhones.

Perhaps a long nap is better?

So then get on with it.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:11 PM
a reply to: TrueBrit

It's a shame because every case is redeemable. But we can't know her hell.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:57 PM

Give up? Hell, she probably just wants some peace.

If you have not gone through such a thing (and I haven't), it's impossible to understand what happens to the mind of that individual. To assume that the woman in this story just "gave up" is pretty inappropriately presumptuous--I look at it in the way that she gave it at least half of a decade after said abuse stopped to try and "fix" herself and lead a life in which she could be content.

We all have control over our own bodies through a natural right, and I believe that, if euthanasia is desired and deemed a decision made with full control over your decision-making ability, the state should not be able to forbid your decision.

It's sad to hear that she felt that this was the only fix for her struggle, but it's up to her. Who are we to say that she gave up or that it's an inappropriate choice for herself?

I hope that the bastard(s) that did this to her (the abuse) got what they deserved, which I think is a similar fate to her own.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:11 PM
This is such a sad story.

Since birth I've been beaten, whipped, drugged, poisoned, robbed, molested, raped and pretty much everything else you can imagine.

I can't stand living anymore. once a community does such things to you you spend your whole life seeing triggers which forces you to think of it all.

This world needs to create a program for genuine victims of such things. One where they are heavily compensated for life long damages. Relocated to peaceful loving communities. the stories need to be publically told and recognized so the community can constantly think about what they're like as a people.

The way society is now, there's pretty much no life long punishments for the offenders. At best they get a few years in prison then go about life with a smile. These are people that destroy another's entire existence for amusement!!! Yet only get a shame on you slap on the wrist punishment.

This world has a very disturbing sense of morality and justice.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:16 PM

There is no win in that situation. Hopefully she finds peace and happiness in her next endeavour, what ever that might be after we are gone.

Sad situation but as TechniXcality pointed out , people should have control of their own destiny.

edit on 16531America/ChicagoThu, 12 May 2016 15:16:51 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>