It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Busy Day at Shoeburyness firing range

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I wonder if they could be impressing some visitor.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

When booklearned types began collecting place names they were prey to the wits of the area. Some place names are a rural wit taking the Mick out of a booklearned twit.
edit on 12 5 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

It is possible that they have a visitor, although it is equally possible that they are testing a guided munition, or a new barrel material, or targeting system. Could be that they are putting a new entire battle tank through its paces. That's the thing with the ranges down there... The place gets used for all manner of testing.

As for place names, yes. On my travels around the country I have seen some particularly strange names, which one might assume either came from a miscommunication during the doomsday book period of history, or were simply names given to a place for comedic purpose, which simply stuck.

This page has some corkers!

www.anglotopia.net...

edit on 13-5-2016 by TrueBrit because: Added link

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Big transporter just went overhead. Identical to those that took the munitions to Iraq. We used to see them at a different location labouring to gain height. This one didn't seem overladen but a first time sighting for me here. Unusual.
edit on 13 5 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Fascinating.

The village of #terton in Dorset, England, is the only place in the UK to be named after excrement. Its name is over a thousand years old, and means farmstead on the stream used as an open sewer.

#terton's sign has often been stolen by souvenir hunters. The residents have sought to resolve this problem by installing a 1.5 ton sign made out of a block of stone which, it is hoped, will be too big and heavy for vandals to steal.
www.anglotopia.net...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I don't want to be a grammar Nazi, but to say "Bear in mind", is correct, so I'm confused about the early criticism in the thread.

What would you have joked about had he said "bare in mind". That his brain was naked?

"to bare" means to uncover.

"to bear" means to carry, or in this case, bear in mind, don't forget, carry this in your mind.

The OP is correct.

*tiptoes out of room*

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Massively off topic but.....

My only previous knowledge of Shoeburyness prior to this thread;

"I know a lovely old toe-rag obliging and noblesse
Kindly, charming shag from Shoeburyness"

edit on 13/5/16 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

New barrel would make sense of multiple shots.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: InTheLight

Yes, Shoeburyness, in Essex, England. The place I call home, to both my family, and my business.

Shoeburyness ranges also tested the engines for the Thrust SSC supersonic car, amongst other propulsion systems for other projects over the years. The proving grounds there have a great deal of history to them, which I will link to now...

www.southend.gov.uk...

Well then any soul who knows how brave Andy Green IS to have
strapped into that mess of explosives and beat the sound
barrier on the ground is a closer situated AND better man than I.

PS Cheers, True-- and U2U me for the size on that "D=Bull" t-shirt.
At twenty seconds to midnight I'm given a sense of urgency.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Do you know if there is a seismic station near by with online data access open to the public TrueBrit?

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Possibly the Anglo French 40mm CTAI gun being tested with a muzzle brake. Muzzlebrakes make for pretty intense and strong concussion waves and definitely make guns seem louder from certain angles.

I know there was intent to do further testing involving barrel life and possibly development and certification of more ammunition types.

A 40mm CTAI gun could pretty easily create the conditions you describe

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join