It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mung Beans... The Little Green Legume

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hello folks,
I was first introduced to the Mung Bean when I was 19 and fell in love with a dish prepared by a woman from the Philippines. I have since tried to copy the dish and I'm pretty sure her secret was fish/oyster sauce, but I never use it because I prefer to keep my recipe vegetarian friendly for my SO.
A good summertime legume according to Mung Beans in traditional Chinese Medicine

Mung Beans were domesticated as early as 1500 BC in India before spreading to Asia, according to this Source, they have a dense phenol content and a broad array of nutrients.
Many Phenols found in foods may prevent cancers and have antioxidant properties as explained, Here.

100 grams of cooked Mung Beans has 7 grams of protein and contain 30% daily value of fiber. A chart here. Mung Beans are not a complete protein, so I serve mine simply over white rice.

Here is my simple yet tasty recipe.
First I soak a cup and a 1/4 of the dried beans over night covering them over with about an inch of water.
The next day I put them in a large pan with two cups water with two no-chick chicken bullion.
I heat them to boiling while chopping about three garlic cloves and mincing about a teaspoon and a half fresh ginger.
Add garlic and ginger to now boiling Mung Beans, stir and reduce heat to simmer. I've never used oyster sauce but I imagine a splash( 2 teaspoons or so) will do.
Stir in teaspoon garlic powder and teaspoon and a half of ground cumin seed.
Salt to season if you don't use oyster sauce.
Cook on simmer for about 20-25minutes...Enjoy!
Good over rice or other grain served with fried white fish and some curry cauliflower with carrots.

Hope you enjoyed learning a little about the Mung Bean!😊
edit on 11-5-2016 by peppycat because: of

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Hey friend, sounds great! Thank you.

So we meet again. Lol

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Split pea soup! Awesome!!!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

The mommy of my child is from the Philippines. I spent 30 hot days there. Eating chicken adobo.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I absolutely love mung beans! They are such a little nothing looking bean but they are so filling, satisfying and do wonders for your body. I can eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Stick them in the crock pot and they're done before you know it. I have lost weight indulging in these little powerhouses!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12 Hi buddy!😊 Thanks for dropping in this thread. I just ate some of my recipe posted in OP and they turned out great! It is really easy to make!
Hope you are well.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

They are different from the split pea but both could be used in whichever receipes call for the other. Mmmm, split pea soup is one of the best comfort foods.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull He he... I'm hoping to lose a little weight and will be eating leftovers tomorrow... they are certainly are nicely satisfying and filling.😊
Glad to see you post, hope all is well and good Ccseagull!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname You can apparently buy the Mung Beans split. Apparently that is how Indian cuisine prefers them. Yummm.. split Pea or split Mung Bean soup sounds very nice.
My recipe isn't very soupy, but you can definitely add more broth and cooking time.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Thank you for posting your recipe!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12 Philippines has a wonderful assortment of dishes. I was married to a man from the Philippines in my twenties and had lots of chicken adobo! Some of my favorite foods are from the Philippines.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Did you try balut? I could not. Lol

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12 I can't remember all of the names, but I ate chocolate meat (beef or pork cooked in pigs blood) and the aged duck egg. I really like ponset and the little spring or egg roll like dish and my absolute favorite is the Philippine pork bun... something different about them than from a Chinese restaurant, that I love.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I love chicken pancit, I tried the salted duck eggs. I don't eat pork so I missed many dishes.

The funniest part of the Phillipines is I went to Daugopon City, nice restaurant. I ordered a steak, lol it tasted like a shoe and was dry as rubber. Lol

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
One more funny thing about the Phillipines and I will zip it!
The first day I was there, in my girlfriends moms front yard was a cute goat tied to a tree. I pet her for a long time.

Before dinner I asked where is the goat. They said on your plate. Ewe. I did not eat the goat. Poor goat. That is their way in the Phil.

edit on 5 11 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 11 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Ever try to grow your own mung bean sprouts?

I can't get them in the stores around me, so I grow my own. This was the YouTube vid that turned me onto it!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12 awww... poor goat😒 I bet it taste good though! It is definitely different there! I have never been there, but have heard lots of stories about having to keep your dogs safe at home.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

They look like sperm.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963 I haven't grown them intentionally, but had some starting to sprout a little and cooked them anyways!
Thank you for for the video! I have read that Mung Bean sprouts are ultra good for you and I love how they look so big and hearty. I'll have to give it a try because I love the smaller sprouts in a sandwich instead of lettuce... yum.

edit on 11-5-2016 by peppycat because: grammer mistake

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I live in the Philippines and funnily enough just bought half a kilo of mung beans this morning for 40 peso....about a dollar.
I usually make mung bean soup with chicken or beef and garlic onions potatoes salt and i will add in coconut milk which is squeezed from the pulp for flavor but the flavor of the beans is enough and tasty enough without it.

My ex used to make the dried version with pork belly and onions and garlic is excellent with rice and i would also splash garlic chili sauce on it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join