It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israel Cuts Ties With Palestine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In a challenge to newly elected Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas' authority, militants on Thursday launched an attack on the Karni crossing in Gaza. In response Israel sealed off the Gaza strip, and now Ariel Sharon is rumored to have cut ties with Abbas.
The hope for peace under new leadership in Ramallah may be waning.

www.msnbc.msn.com
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has cut all contact with Mahmoud Abbas until the newly elected Palestinian leader reins in the militants, media reports said.

The report, which was carried by three Israeli television stations, came a day after Palestinian militants killed six Israeli civilians in a bombing-and-shooting attack on a Gaza Strip crossing.

Sharon’s office had no comment on the report. The stations did not cite any sources

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The challenge to Abbas' authority is coming from both sides. Can he control the militants and signal them that peace with Israel will only come if attacks are stopped. And will Israel continue to deal with Abbas, or shut him out as they did with Arafat.

My hope is that both sides that are pulling at Abbas will allow him some room to maneuver so that he can do his job, and help to bring peace to a restive region.

Related News Links:
to day.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Palestinian Militants Defy Abbas, Kill 6 Israelis

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
And the saga continues the legacy of Arafat most be kept alive, regardless of who is in charge, next we will hear that the new elected leader has been gun down and Israel is the suspect.

Or he will be put in house arrest like they did to Arafat for years.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Did anyone have any real hope that a new leader would help? The only thing that will bring peace to the region is total annihiliation of one side or the other. Hopefully what we are seeing is just spasms and Abbas will be able to rein his people in, I doubt it though.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
What a surprise!

People talking about and hoping for peace in this region keep ignoring the issue that muslims use their religion to say that there can be no peace until a land once muslim and lost has been reconquered.

Muslims view Israel as land that they have lost and therefore will not rest and there will be no "peace" until they have recovered it - whatever they say in the meantime.

There will be conflict here until one of the parties is destroyed.

End of story.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by astral_ice
Did anyone have any real hope that a new leader would help? The only thing that will bring peace to the region is total annihiliation of one side or the other. Hopefully what we are seeing is just spasms and Abbas will be able to rein his people in, I doubt it though.

Yeah, I did.
I wouldn't use the term, "rein in", I would hope that he could "enlighten them" that the attacks need to be stopped. Obviously Israel knows it has a bigger stick, and they will continue to use it as long as they continue to be struck.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Now if Javier Solana steps in and proclaims Peace, I think we'll have something to worry about.

I had followed the threads on JS and that was very interesting, with the seperation of the two waring "states" and the set up of the temple on the mount, well, it's looking very prophetic.

Tuataras Third Eye

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Some more information.

AP.org
JERUSALEM (AP) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon severed contacts with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas until he acts against militants, a spokesman said Friday, a day after six Israelis were killed in an attack on a Gaza Strip crossing.

The Israeli leadership had initially said it would not retaliate for the Gaza attack and would give Abbas time to rein in the militants.

"Israel informed international leaders today that there will be no meetings with Abbas until he makes a real effort to stop the terror," Sharon spokesman Assaf Shariv said.

Shariv said that Israel informed officials from the United States, the European Union, Britain and the Palestinians.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really don't think that cutting ties this soon in the process with a new player will solve anything. Speaking directly to Abbas, and letting him know that this has to stop would be more effective then the cold shoulder.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Abbas needs to take firm measures against Palestinians who commit violent acts against Isrealis or others. Likewise, Israel must take firm measures against its citizens who commit violent acts against Palestinians, including those within its own miltary who violate the law (I won't list the ways in which they do such things as it would make this post unbearably long).

How is Abbas to "rein in" the peace breakers among his people. He needs funds, resources, an internal security force, weapons, etc. Operating an effective enforcement agency requires more than words and demands fropm the outside without the people, hardware, and money to make it work.

The Palestinian Authority has been so thoroughly dissembled and disempowered by Israel's military actions against the Palestinian people and their infrastructure that it simply doesn't have the capability to deal with the anarchists inside its territory. That problem must be addressed before any real progress can be made.

As always, Israel is its own worts enemy in these matters. It consistently issues empty words with no action to back them up, other than more oppression of its closest neighbor. Rather than cut off all relations, why not offer to assist in some that would help the Palestinian Authority establish the internal security force that it needs. Maybe the US could step in and assist in that. What a concept! How come Dubya hasn't thought to do that?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

I really don't think that cutting ties this soon in the process with a new player will solve anything. Speaking directly to Abbas, and letting him know that this has to stop would be more effective then the cold shoulder.

The attack could have been prevented by PA security services since the attackers had to cross through a Palestinian checkpoint before reaching the Karni crossing. Thousands of Palestinians across the Gaza Strip celebrated the attack.

A senior Israeli official said the Preventive Security Service, one of the PA's principal security arms and the force designated to head off attacks against Israel, was "to the best of our knowledge involved" in the attack, which killed six Israeli civilians working at the site.

Abu Mazen must take matters into his hands immediately.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Thousands of Palestinians across the Gaza Strip celebrated the attack.

I'm not surprised. As sad as that reaction might appear, I don't wholly condemn it. I do condemn the attack, as well as all attacks by both sides.

If you know anything at all about the deplorable and oppressive conditions which Israel has managed to impose upon the Palestinian people with the unconditional support of the USA, the USA's leaders, and the USA taxpayers, you too would understand why the people cheer at such an attack.

It would be nice if American citizens exerted the small effort to pull their heads out of their collective a$$ and educated themselves about the reality under which WE and our "wag the dog" ally Israel have made the Palestinian people "live" for more then half a century. You'd be pissed beyond all ability to exercise self-control, even more so than the Palestinians are and have been. After all, Americans have no impulse control. You'd resort to desperate measures too and would find it nearly impossible to trust anything that emanates from the US or Israel.

[edit on 1/15/2005 by dubiousone]

[edit on 1/15/2005 by dubiousone]

new topics

top topics

join