It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Editing Reality: Former Employees Admit Facebook Censors Conservative News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
May 10, 2016

Melissa Dykes
www.activistpost.com...

Facebook has roughly 1.65 BILLION users around the world every month.
. . .
As it turns out, Facebook censors “the news.”
. . .
Referred to internally as “news curators,” several former Facebook employees have admitted to Gizmodo that they were told to not only suppress conservative news from its coveted “trending” section, but they were also instructed to “artificially inject” certain stories into the news section that weren’t trending at all, such as Black Lives Matter protests.
. . .
The former curator was so troubled by the omissions that they kept a running log of them at the time; this individual provided the notes to Gizmodo. Among the deep-sixed or suppressed topics on the list: former IRS official Lois Lerner, who was accused by Republicans of inappropriately scrutinizing conservative groups; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker; popular conservative news aggregator the Drudge Report; Chris Kyle, the former Navy SEAL who was murdered in 2013; and former Fox News contributor Steven Crowder.

What an unsurprise.

What a sad state of affairs.

What a sad state of the Nation, the planet.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

'We ain't seen nuthin' yet.'

God have mercy on us all.

That kind of power is obviously corruptive . . . wholesale corruptive.

I'm glad I'm not on that site much at all. The whole idea of such shenanigans gives me the willies.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

If you are getting your news from Facebook then that is a problem. They are a private site and hardly classified as a news organization. I wonder if this had more to do with Facebook wanting to charge people to get their info shared with more people. But if you don't like what they are doing, don't go to Facebook for that info.
Read the Gizmodo article, which I don't get why you didn't just link that one and it says they would run the stories as long as a major outlet had it picked up too, and major outlets picked up all the so called censored topics. Sounds to me like a self admitted conservative employee that didn't see his opinion shared enough.
edit on thWed, 11 May 2016 13:11:12 -0500America/Chicago520161280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If they're censoring right-wing and conservative views, they're not doing a very good job.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I never look at that 'trending' part on facebook. Trending means a lot of things and Facebook is not a news entity.
Though, from some recent threads (not yours), it would seem that some aren't quite clear on that. Facebook is a business and t hey will make decisions they think spur activity, thus spurring ad revenue, etc.

Actual news sources do this all the time, though. On fox.com you will see some stories front and center and huge. On cnn.com those stories may be buried toward the bottom of the page.

It is what actual news sources may be hiding, no matter their political leanings, that is most concerning.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Why do people get upset about what facebook does? They're a private entity that can do pretty much whatever they like with their social media platform.

If people don't agree with Facebooks policies, then they can just not use Facebook.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Already posted:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please continue at the original.

top topics

join