It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas high school to build $62 million stadium

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Why would people's property tax money go to a school in a different county? That makes no sense. People pay high dollars to live in nice school districts.

Because even nice school districts can have poorly maintained schools if they are situated on the wrong side of the tracks. Happens in every county in Texas. Even in nice school districts.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I'm just going to add this to the thread:
Texas places 43rd among states in national education ranking

I'm just going to give you this link.
HuffPo

Texas does spend lot's of money on football. These stadiums are voted on by the taxpayers, and they are aware of the cost to their yearly taxes up front. Although you or I may feel such items are wasteful, these types of expenditures do make money in the long-run through use by other schools and local colleges.

All of these cities are major growth areas, and these are big draws for commercial and residential growth, increasing the tax base. In a perfect world rich counties would share with less fortunate counties. I think I recall a program such as that already being on the books, not sure. Problem is, we just don't live in a perfect world.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No more pricey than the one right up the road from in Allen Tx Eagles stadium has been a tax drain for a while now. Hell they even had to do repairs ALREADY because the contractors dorked it up the first time. Texas loves it's football, they spare no expense. Trust me, my inlaws live in Allen, I moved from McKinney last year and still live in Dallas. Football season is a madness around here. For example NEVER go anywhere near ATT stadium on game days.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn

I'm just going to add this to the thread:
Texas places 43rd among states in national education ranking

I'm just going to give you this link.
HuffPo

So you are blaming Texas' bad school performance on race? That may be an issue and the cause of the low grade, but it shouldn't be an excuse.

Texas does spend lot's of money on football. These stadiums are voted on by the taxpayers, and they are aware of the cost to their yearly taxes up front. Although you or I may feel such items are wasteful, these types of expenditures do make money in the long-run through use by other schools and local colleges.

I'll give you this point, but you also have to understand that much of the revenue generated by this stadium will cycle back into sports budgets instead of educational budgets. Great for improving athletes, but not so much for improving educational standards.

All of these cities are major growth areas, and these are big draws for commercial and residential growth, increasing the tax base. In a perfect world rich counties would share with less fortunate counties. I think I recall a program such as that already being on the books, not sure. Problem is, we just don't live in a perfect world.

Agreed on this point...

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

So it's greedy to expect that your taxes go towards nice things in your community?

Especially Texas? You mean the most powerful economy in our country right now??

I'm saying that we have an education problem in this country and it would behoove schools that do well to help the ones that do poorly. They don't have to sacrifice their standards to do this, but relying on government to change this is failing miserably. At some point we either have to change our standards or fall into obscurity.

And yes keeping money you don't need is greedy. That is the definition of greedy.

But you decided they don't need it. Not them.

Our school failures aren't a result of money, it is the result of democrat policies, Luke teachers unions and common core.

What do you expect to happen when you take the simple math that built the world you see, and replace it with that idiotic BS.

Take what has been for all of history since the invention of math, 5+5=10 and turn it into a 30 step math problem.... Ya no way that could mess things up right?

I could go on at great length, but why, everyone knows these things already.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

So you are blaming Texas' bad school performance on race? That may be an issue and the cause of the low grade, but it shouldn't be an excuse.

Not blaming, just providing information about one of the many challenges facing Texas school districts. Don't read too much into things.

I'll give you this point, but you also have to understand that much of the revenue generated by this stadium will cycle back into sports budgets instead of educational budgets. Great for improving athletes, but not so much for improving educational standards.

I agree lots of the money will return to sports programs, but the school board controls the amounts going to which departments. Tax payers have a lot of influence on school boards here in Texas.

Agreed on this point...

Oh Lord, this is a first.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: maria_stardust
These are nothing more than status symbol tokens for what are essentially upscale school districts. Can you imagine if that money was invested in something like -- oh, I don't know -- educational programs.

Crazy idea, right?

This is why the US ranks #36 in the world in education.

New survey ranks U.S. students 36th in the world - How do we improve?

cnycentral.com...

Maybe. but we are #1 in High School Football!

Haha, suck it, betas!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This whole scheme looks like a huge bond ponzi. There is no huge tax surplus, only the appearance of such.

Have anybody here actually read how the bond that is going to finance this actually works and what it depends on?

First lets start with the bait. The town promised a property tax CUT greater then projected if the new bond was passed. The voters bought the story that paying less taxes to borrow more money is totally a good thing in this unicorn fairy land.

But how did they did that, do you ask?

By selling the voters on the fairy tale that property values will continue to rise strongly for the next 20 YEARS! You see there has been a little boon to property values over the last few years in the area.

[sarcasm] Of course it is going to continue for a couple of decades, lets borrow more!![/sarcasm]

What is going to happen when property values flatten and even drop a bit?

Kind of hard to cut the budget on building a stadium that is already built. Where do you think they will cut the budget and how much will they raise property taxes to cover the bond payments?
The athletic program?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They have sold out their future children’s quality of education and all but guaranteed that there will be some big property tax hikes in the future.

There is a very happy contractor that is going to profit big time, I would not doubt in a few years he/she is be smart enough to get the hell out of that town before this all comes tumbling down.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
friday night in texas the entire town shows up for football. its YUGE

the best players go to the best schools, its a recruiting thing as well as prestige

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Texas high school football.

I'm sure there are some in Oklahoma, too. Or will be...

It's silly, and short sighted. ...and it's never going to change.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

ya, it seems not many are catching onto this facet of it...
and, if we haven't discovered anything in the past decade or so, we should have discovered just how fast property values can drop when the too big to fails fail, the housing market collapses, and our economy goes to hades in a hand basket.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust

Crazy idea, right?

Pish, tush, and twaddle! Sports are what's important, and jocks are the highest form of life.

Bookwormy nerds are beneath notice - they're not the right sort of people. Why encourage them?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

So it's greedy to expect that your taxes go towards nice things in your community?

Especially Texas? You mean the most powerful economy in our country right now??

I'm saying that we have an education problem in this country and it would behoove schools that do well to help the ones that do poorly. They don't have to sacrifice their standards to do this, but relying on government to change this is failing miserably. At some point we either have to change our standards or fall into obscurity.

And yes keeping money you don't need is greedy. That is the definition of greedy.

But you decided they don't need it. Not them.

Ok so maybe you'd like to answer the question on how a giant stadium is beneficial to educating kids.

Our school failures aren't a result of money, it is the result of democrat policies, Luke teachers unions and common core.

Lol yeah Democrats are the reason Texas is ranked 43 in education right now.

What do you expect to happen when you take the simple math that built the world you see, and replace it with that idiotic BS.

Take what has been for all of history since the invention of math, 5+5=10 and turn it into a 30 step math problem.... Ya no way that could mess things up right?

I could go on at great length, but why, everyone knows these things already.

Did you miss this part of the post you quoted from me?
"but relying on government to change this is failing miserably."

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn
Not blaming, just providing information about one of the many challenges facing Texas school districts. Don't read too much into things.

Fair enough.

I agree lots of the money will return to sports programs, but the school board controls the amounts going to which departments. Tax payers have a lot of influence on school boards here in Texas.

Well do keep in mind the national ranking. Is as much doing to educational programs as they should be? If more money was funneled to assist these Mexican students in learning? Maybe bilingual training for teachers. Etc. These are just some thoughts.

Oh Lord, this is a first.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join