It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MegaBots raises $2.4 million to create league of human-piloted, giant fighting robots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It's coming!

techcrunch.com...

Oakland, Calif. startup MegaBots Inc. has raised $2.4 million in seed funding to bring the robot-fighting stuff of manga and anime to a venue near you.

According to MegaBots cofounders, Gui Cavalcanti, Matt Oehrlein, and Brinkley Warren, the startup aspires to follow in the footsteps of major sports associations like Formula 1 or UFC.

With the seed funding, Warren said, MegaBots will be partnering with a law firm called Latham Watkins to help set up and roll out its league internationally, taking an approach similar to the Olympics.

Specifically, MegaBots will be working with Latham Watkins Partner Christopher D. Brearton, who represents the International Olympic Committee, and has helped organized leagues and governing bodies in sports including the NBA, MLB, NFL and others.

Of course, there's already a Japanese mech suit company that started back in 2014 and Megabot has challenged them to a fight! Challenge accepted! I really hope this takes off because it could evolve into something beyond awesome!

RESPONSE TO ROBOT DUEL CHALLENGE.

edit on 10-5-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Sorry it's bed time
edit on 5/10/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Huh?

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
As a long time fan of MechWarrior I think this is amazing.

If your a fan of giant battling robots you should try out MechWarrior Online, great game with a solid community behind it... and perhaps a vision of the future?

edit on 10-5-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Wait that's still a thing!? Are people still active? I always wanted to try it.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

It's still pretty popular especially since they released community warfare, basically fighting for control of different star systems with your selected faction. I used to play it quite a bit a few years ago and still hop on from time to time to help the Inner Sphere.

It has a really tight community of dedicated fanboys.

edit on 11-5-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

This is very very cool!!

I propose all industrialized countries create one within certain regulations, and fight all wars in zones like the gobi dessert! Definitely cheaper than human loss and trillions of dollars wasted!!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Let the next world war be a mechwar

As for MWO, they updated the GFX not too long ago, looks guhreat.

Watch out for my Arctic Cheetah and Stormcrow

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Oddly enough I was going to start a thread tonight asking people for fun online games that focused on teamwork. Just found out about Overwatch annnnnnd missed the open beta.

Looking for a new game. I really liked it when TF2 was highly communicative and people actually used their mics. I like medic, and if I got a Pyro and Heavy that actually talked we would just decimate. Last time I was on people were freaking out about hats and stuff. Loved Left 4 Dead too, and 2. Had a few people I was familiar with and if we went 2vs4 we could still wreck them. I miss playing hunter and smoker. I was also a weirdly good jockey. Terrible tank if I didn't get help.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Forget the 'fighting' aspects..this should / could evolve into something like a mech olympics, where these large bot-suits run races over obstacles and stuff...could have specific tasks to complete like chopping through telegraph pole barricades, smashing through or climbing over walls and other objects in the way.

The fighting will follow soon enough.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Isn't this topic old... I read about this last year. There's no weapons and it is just hand to hand combat..

When do they actually fight?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
They already have these, they are being used to protect Zion from the sentinels. Lol, sorry I couldn't resist that one.
edit on Wed20165V201648731 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed20165V201656731 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Awesome. The United States MIC would "need" to spend about 240 million dollars at least on such a thing.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Oh you better believe I will be downloading that game this weekend.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Istaywoke77

That's what they're trying to do and looking to get it off the ground. I hope they do and it becomes successful!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I love TF2. You just gotta find the right servers cuz people still use their mics. No Heroes is a good group of servers. Google them and you can link to their servers from there. Lotus Clan is another good one.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

In time, that could be a reality because awesome.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

Old? Well the article is from yesterday and I doubt the robot companies started up last week so chances are you might have heard about this before.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Oh they probably have already been creating them.

top topics

join