It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Releases Patents to Public

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Oh this reminds me of prop cavitation in boats,maybe this could be adapted to reduce that effect from damaging the props....
edit on 11-5-2016 by TheKestrel04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKestrel04

Sounds like any turbulence interface edge could have this applied to it. The amount of savings is not super huge, the patent said, "3 - 5 %" reduction in noise. But it also said there is no need to retro fit any planes to get this benefit! And they did not rule out props.

Wonder if it increases fuel efficiency as well? If so, there is a big market out there for anybody that can produce graphene and CNTs in large enough quantities!

And a big
for the thread! I went over and just casually glanced at a few... nice new source of info!

S + F

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKestrel04

The thingy I saw one night was level flight just below the mountain tops, bisecting the valley floor at constant speed, all the way down to the end of the valley. It was technical and not of this earth. I had the distinct impression it was scanning the 'biomass' for lack of a better term, for just that reason. I imagine the sensor suite recorded living beings, energy output, pollution, etc. I imagined this from watching it, its flight path and purpose would seem useless for any other reason.
The capabilities of ufos don't seem to fall short of Trek Tech, that's what I liken them to though

Yah, they exhibit impossible flight characteristics and maneuvers, surely their sensors are well advanced.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Letting technology in to the hands of those who have a genuine interest but lack the education, do it as their life achievement and not a paycheck, could move this world in to the future..

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Building Materials and Design would be a good area to improve in to make them more resilient to nature.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Here is one specifically for rotors. I am thinking "air" rotors, as in "helicopters" and a way to decrease noise.

To control vortices originating at the tips of a rotor's blades rotating through the air at a revolution frequency f, separation control device(s) are actuated to periodically introduce perturbations into the airflow moving over the blades.

Source: NASA Technology Transfer Portal (T2) - Vortex Control For Rotor Blade Devices

So "actuating" a "device(s)" on the tips of rotor blades (they give it as a variable: n). Sounds like they're using a small motor to push up grapheme-CNTs to disrupt air flow to reduce noise as per the Vortex post! And if it works in air it can be adapted for water purposes.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Here is one specifically for rotors. I am thinking "air" rotors, as in "helicopters" and a way to decrease noise.

To control vortices originating at the tips of a rotor's blades rotating through the air at a revolution frequency f, separation control device(s) are actuated to periodically introduce perturbations into the airflow moving over the blades.

Source: NASA Technology Transfer Portal (T2) - Vortex Control For Rotor Blade Devices

So "actuating" a "device(s)" on the tips of rotor blades (they give it as a variable: n). Sounds like they're using a small motor to push up grapheme-CNTs to disrupt air flow to reduce noise as per the Vortex post! And if it works in air it can be adapted for water purposes.

Excellent Find!

The thought of centrifugally activated "cavitation diffusers" just popped into my head, as the props increase rpm they extend accordingly to disrupt the bubble formation. This way it can be fitted to variable pitch props and standard props without interfering with the stock hub design.
edit on 12-5-2016 by TheKestrel04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Here how they are making same size carbon nanotubes.

The Technology

The invention involves the synthesis of carbon nanotube/silica nanocomposites via a templating method in order to control the carbon nanotube diameter. A mesoporous silica or alumina supports are used as a template for the aligned growth of the carbon nanotubes. Sucrose is deposited in each pore of the template. Upon the application of heat, the single-wall carbon nanotubes grow from the carbon in the sucrose precursor to produce carbon nanotubes of the desired diameter embedded in the silica template. Removing the silica template can isolate the carbon nanotubes.

NASA Technology Transfer Portal - Growth of Carbon Nanotubes. Patents: 7,588,699; 7,972,536; 7,666,939

That is pretty neat trick! At first, when they started creating CNTs, it was just a bulk production and they sifted out the ones they wanted (lots of double-walled, damaged, unused CNTs). The other thing that is interesting is they use sucrose! Uh, you mean table sugar? Probably a medical grade solution but still table sugar. Those materials (template, sucrose) are cheap. Not that long ago it was something like $700 a gram. Using a similar method they created a 3D form of graphene on a template structure which was removed leaving the 3D graphene structure.

It is fun to just wander around in T2 every so often!

[ETA: Just found a place selling SWCNTs at $270 per gram]

edit on 30-6-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: tori spelling

edit on 30-6-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: publish current price

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Lovely find, I guess in few years time it maybe more commercially viable for common use.Very Nice indeed

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join