It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Ship Mystery: Abandoned Oil Tanker, Tamaya 1, Runs Aground in Liberia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Interesting story!

I'd wager that the disappointing truth is that the ship is an environmental hazard and the owning company have simply abandoned it to avoid the expense of scrapping.

We really should stop using the ocean as a trash can. We'll regret it one day.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Or...how about this?

The ship had been abandoned several years ago (roughly 2010 or so) after she was no longer legal, and then seized by pirates who operated it in black market oil transactions to 3rd world countries until it was in such disrepair it was no longer useful and then they too abandoned her.

Seems plausible.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It was probably abandoned for insurance reasons and left adrift.

I'm sure the crew will probably turn up if someone were to investigate more fully.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone will revisit this thread but this story seems to be a particularly big deal in Liberia because of the security concerns raised by a tanker running aground on a beach and not being investigated for days.

There are some additional details about the condition of the tanker as well as pictures and video from inside.

GNN Liberia - Inside The Tamaya 1: The Mysterious Ship That Creating ‘Serious Security’ Concerns In Liberia

The Liberian Ministry of National Defense this week revealed that the ship had been devastated by fire and that the hatches were opened and contained a mixture of oil and water, but the cause of the blaze remains unknown. They explained in a statement: ‘During the search on board the vessel, it was discovered that the abandoned vessel is an oil tanker and but so far no information was established regarding the number of crew members as no crew members were found on board,

Several pictures and the video can be found in this Daily Mail article.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Or...how about this?

The ship had been abandoned several years ago (roughly 2010 or so) after she was no longer legal, and then seized by pirates who operated it in black market oil transactions to 3rd world countries until it was in such disrepair it was no longer useful and then they too abandoned her.

Seems plausible.

Way better story.....

And your avatar reminds me of a great adventure I once embarked on. Long days and pleasant nights to you.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join