It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7yo CA boy who grew hair out for cancer patients now has cancer..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'm not sure how many of you remember this, but this boy Vinny, who was 5 at the time, decided to grow his hair out so that he could donate it to cancer patients.

"I want to help people so they don't have to go to the doctor to fight cancer," Vinny said.

Two years later, he developed a swollen eye and hip that his parents originally thought was the result of allergies, but turned out to be stage 4 cancer. They believe it is Ewing's sarcoma, but are awaiting conclusive test results.

Vinny Desautels' parents initially thought seasonal allergies were to blame for his puffy right eye. Rounds of tests revealed the 7-year-old from Roseville, California, is facing stage 4 cancer.

Vinny's eye started getting "squintier" in March, Desautels said. They tried prescription eye drops and allergy medication with no success. Vinny started complaining of an aching knee and his parents noticed his hip was swollen . . .

A visit to the emergency room on April 28 and an X-ray revealed a significant growth on his right hip.

Poor kid.

The family is awaiting final confirmation from doctors that Vinny has Ewing's sarcoma, a type of tumor that forms in bone or soft tissue. The second-grader is scheduled to begin treatment this week, starting with a bone marrow biopsy and chemotherapy, said his father, Jason Desautels.

"We know it's cancer, stage 4, because it spread in two different locations and it's aggressive," he said. "Now we're trying to figure out what we're dealing with so we can come up with a plan."

This is very sad. Sure, people of all ages get cancer, but the odds that this kid develops stage 4 cancer 2 years after he wanted to help others fighting cancer is just, well, a shame. It reminds me of the thread questioning "God's" reasons for allowing things like this happen, but I just wanted to share this with everyone. There's a gofundme link at link 3 below, so everyone is aware, but this is just...sad.

It seems that the survival rate of Ewing's sarcoma is upwards of 70% when caught in the early stages, but less than 30% after it has metastasized.
St. Jude
National Cancer Institute

Link 1 ABC
Link 2 CNN
Link 3 AJC

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
That sweet boy
I was just saying.... the world isn't fair and half the time it doesn't make any sense. Its sad that little sweet babies so often have to find out for themselves at such a young age how cruel and non nonsensical crap that happens to you can be. So undeserving of such a diagnosis.

I'm so sorry for that little gentleman. I hope what ever the outcome is, that he will get to spend the time he does have enjoying his life and his family.

Damn I hate life sometimes.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Indeed I was thinking about the thread regarding "God" and no doubt there will be people along saying "well he works in mysterious ways".. Save it....

There is zero justification for this lad getting what is a horrible disease, fingers crossed he is ok in the long term. Terrible situation to be in for the family.

RA

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

who are you to deem what is just and un-just? sure it sucks the kids sick, i love kids and would never wish anything bad on them, but there is no reason to shake your fist in the air and spread negative thoughts and words to something we will never understand.

if you really want to be mad at something go check the out all the poison that is put in are food water and air, the only 3 things we need to survive. and then ask who is putting it there? save you judgments for an thing that you can understand

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Perfect example you painted there. We do not understand, yet there are people that will happily say that this boy has cancer because it is Gods will and they will try and justify it.

I also agree regarding current issues with food etc but there are things that a person can do to limit exposure, sadly regarding God there is not and I am meant to believe that one person's spooky man is better than the next person's spooky man. Yet I am not able to question this mind set in a modern world when people use it to justify things that are absurd and outrageous?. Think refusing blood transfusion for a child or loved one.

RA

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
All I can add is "damn"

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm sure everyone who has had a personal experience with this disease will join me in saying

F*CK CANCER

Positive thoughts for this sweet boy and his family.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm sure we'll be sending thoughts, prayers and maybe something else if we can.

(I'd like to point out that none of the Christians originally brought God into this thread. So, please, atheists, stop shoving religion down our throats.)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
That's pretty messed up. What the hell, Universe?
edit on 10-5-2016 by DarkestConspiracyMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
OK, folks, let's back off the religion arguments, shall we?

This is about a poor little kid who doesn't deserve what's been thrown his way.

Now then, back to the original topic.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I won't give up on this young boy! Sending positive encouragement outwards for him and his family, that his recovery will be an eventuality and this is only a life experience that will assist him in the future to recognize his dream to help others.

Thank you for sharing.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

a reply to: DarkestConspiracyMoon

a reply to: jtrenthacker

Yeah.

It's like the universe is playing a cruel joke on this kid.

And not only did he develop an extremely rare type of cancer (two years after wanting to help other cancer patients), but it was already stage 4 before they realized.
edit on 10-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
is this proof that donating hair to cancer patients causes cancer? probably not but this is the same kind science the experts use to warn us that this or that is linked to cancer.until they know for sure what causes cancer they are just grasping at straws when they try to make a link between something and cancer.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'd be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it and especially Rick Simpson's OIL! They need a 100% recovery!

edit on 10-5-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join