It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disband NATO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I am so sick and tired of this warmongering rhetoric and apparent constant escalation. Everyday month, we get a new story about how Russia will invade the EU in 5 minutes time, so we better beef up the NATO presence in Eastern Europe or else.... I am so sick and tired of it, you know... Yesterday Putin called for an international NON-ALIGNED security system that could envelop Europe, North America and Russia, quite possibly even more countries if it would be beneficial to the world.
Sack the new NATO commander for escalating tensions even further by making such a statement, that is clearly meant for nothing else than provoking.
We should treat Russia as a partner, develop our trade with them, work together militarily and start treating them as equals instead of japping at them at every chance we get.
The cold war is over, let go of your grudges, stop bullying and start working together to further this planet and it's people. Everything else would be suicidal in the long run.
Just had to get that off my chest.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
You probably mean well...

& im not the biggest fan of NATO...

But I don't trust Russia as far as I can throw Putin...
& he is a judo black belt that would throw me all over the place.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mikkelno

It´s laughable how they tell us on one side that russia is down and 25 years back in time, but on the other side "we", the west, should be afraid of russia, of it´s overpowerd military, of its economical powers, and sure, because of Superputin. But it´s not russia who scares us, it´s "our own" people!

So there is a web of US military bases around the world, how many bases has russia around the world? Why are we so scared?
The US agencies are spying on every citizen worldwide, as they are from interest or not. Why are we so scared?
(Sure are russians spying too, but not on you and me!)

Is it because russia spreaded it´s borders to the NATO ones, the last decades, after the wall fell???

What a bull# the whole time, they created a new best enemie, after russia didn´t work anymore as bogeyman. They created the muslim terrorist. But they didn´t think of the reaction of a whole religion, that they really start to fight back, the longer you call them all evil.

Now they wanna go back to russia, the old best enemy, who played that well decades ago, that there is no better enemy for the west.
Even if it is absurd...

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Can you name a single instance where Putin lied? Straight up lied, to the world, on an important issue?

Because I think that there is a larger part of the population which is influenced by a bias from media to think "PUTIN IS BAD! HE LIES AND IS NOT TRUSTWORTHY!"
Which is a way to demonize someone who sits on an awful lot of weaponry, natural ressources and corrupt bureaucracy (which might or might not be his to blame for..).

We should find ways to cooperate, and to get lost of the way to think of any country as the "enemy".

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I don't find him untrustworthy because I think he's a liar...

I find him untrustworthy because he is a world leader and they're all megalomaniacs with a blood rush for power...

If NATO keeps him in Russia, good...

And if Putin keeps NATO out of Russia, good...

Less radioactive air for us all to breathe and live quite happily.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

My view is somewhat different on the subject of NATO.

I feel the U.S. should withdraw from NATO. Frankly, I don't see Europe needing the U.S. as a partner as Europe has their own military industrial complex...great fighter aircraft, tanks and no shortage of men in uniform both land and navy.

Europe is more than capable of taking care of potential threats on it's own.

If you buy into the 'poor Russians' are surrounded, then sobeit. Putin's the good guy and the U.S. is evil, fine by me...whatever....
You might get a slightly different take from Crimeans, Georgians and the Ukrainians.

The most peaceful era in European history, and it's not even close, is with the U.S. as the dominant military presence since WWII. But I agree that it's been too long.

The cold truth is I could care less whether you go back to your old ways, whether Putin takes you on or not. The other cold truth of it is Europe is no better than the ME when it comes to war...

A pox on both of you....or not. YAWN

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

If there is no NATO, who would oppose the SCO

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

No, we aren't disbanding NATO, how about you and people who think like you leave the west. Problem solved for everyone
edit on 10-5-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Can you name a single instance where Putin lied? Straight up lied, to the world, on an important issue?

I'm going to guess at some point he's said "We didn't invade or attack Georgia/Chechnya", "There was no involvement from the Russian government with the poisoning of any individual we believe is an enemy of the state" - Fairly sure if I could be arsed I could find it quoted.
edit on 10-5-2016 by uncommitted because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I think NATO is dying a death of a 1000 cuts .Its probably more important as a proxy then a military threat .This piece is well worth the read ,and kind of shows just how desperate the west is to try and keep them relevant .Problem is ,is that it will come as a cost and make no mistake that if things go hot ,it will get very hot where ever the NATO flag is flying .

We only need to read the MSM to understand the new direction the US and its NATO apparatus are taking. It is a commonly-used one – turning retreat into advance by changing the so-called enemy. Following the debacles in Libya and Afghanistan, and the gradual unravelling of the Iraq and Syria adventures, the Western allies are now preparing to deploy four battalions—a force of about 4,000 troops—in Poland and the Baltic countries. These will of course by pointing in the other direction to the existing combat troops, and thus provide justification for removing troops from the unsuccessful arenas and downgrading those conflicts before they provide too great an embarrassment. History gives us many examples of such tactics being used. One is the infamous War of Jenkins’ Ear, the 1739 British-inspired conflict with Spain designed to promote more trade and protect slave markets. This resulted in heavy losses for the British, and the temporary gain of only one Spanish possession in the Caribbean. It was thus subsumed into the War of Austrian Succession, an entirely different conflict about an entirely different question which the same powers happened to be on opposite sides of. journal-neo.org...
journal-neo.org...

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I would rather see us get out of the U.N., but N.A.T.O. would be a good start.

edit on 2016/5/10 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

So I, along with everybody who thinks like me, should leave the countries we love and hold dear? And for what? For wanting peace and collaberation instead of fearmongering and threats? How about YOU, good sir, take your misplaced thougts to some part of the world that wants death and destruction and leave the rest of us here, to hope for, and possibly help mend the broken relations we have with certain parts of the world?

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
if MAD really is a viable deterrent then give all NATO members nukes and disband NATO.once a politician gets a bug up his ass he`ll never be sane again, look how long the politicians in america held a grudge against cuba. These old fart career politicians are hindering world evolution.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The disbanding of NATO will happen, but I am afraid it will happen under such circumstances in which the EU is already wrecked and turned into some sort of Nazi regime.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
NATO is like a lot of things. Good on paper, terrible in practice.

new topics

top topics

join