It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Birds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yes, she's been really active. This is a woman who has touched quite a few productions.

off-topic: I really like your new avatar. The howl is you.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus
Thanks. I got the avatar from another member here.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

From IMDB trivia:

The use of standard blue screen techniques for doing matte shots of the birds proved to be unacceptable. The rapid movement of the birds, especially their wings, caused excessive blue fringing in the shots. It was determined that the sodium vapor process could be used to do the composites. The only studio in America that was equipped for this process was the Walt Disney studio. Ub Iwerks, who had become the world's leading expert on the sodium vapor process, was assigned to this production.

and

The scene where Tippi Hedren is ravaged by birds near the end of the movie took a week to shoot. The birds were attached to her clothes by long nylon threads so they could not get away.

Much more at the above link.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I heard somewhere that she had to do that shot a lot of times because Hitchcock just wasn't satisfied. He wasn't easy to work with.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

No he wasn't. From the above link:

The climactic scene, in which Tippi Hedren's character is attacked in the bedroom, took seven days to shoot. Hedren said, "[It was] the worst week of my life." The physical and emotional tolls of filming this scene were so strong on her that production was shut down for a week afterward.

Near the end of the film, when Mitch carries Melanie down the stairs, it is actually Tippi Hedren's stand-in being carried by Rod Taylor. Hedren was in the hospital recovering from exhaustion after a week of shooting the scene where Melanie is trapped in the upstairs room with the birds

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wow! She's lucky she didn't have a breakdown from all that. He might have been demanding (some might say overly so) but the end result was wonderful. I heard that Stanley Kubric was bad to work for, too.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
It's a good classic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join