It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exercises to Relieve Sciatica and Low Back Pain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
"If you have back pain and suffer depression or anxiety you’re at even greater risk for opioid abuse and addiction, according to recent research."

www.getholistichealth.com...

. . .
The problem appears to be particularly prevalent in the US. According to estimates, as many as eight out of 10 Americans struggle with back pain, and this affliction has now become a primary cause of pain killer addiction.
. . .
Those who rated high in terms of anxiety or depression not only experienced greater side effects; they also got less relief from the drugs, and were more likely to abuse them.
. . .
Stretching exercises can help reduce sciatic pain. Your sciatic nerve runs through your piriformis, a muscle located deep in your glutes. If the piriformis gets too tight, it can impinge the sciatic nerve, causing pain, tingling, and numbness in your leg. Sometimes, stretching your piriformis may be enough to reduce the pain. Four exercises to try include the following. For illustrations demonstrating each stretch, please see the featured article in Mind Body Green:7
Piriformis stretch
Seated hip stretch
Pigeon pose
Self-trigger point therapy using a tennis ball or foam roller
. . .

I was a bit dubious about this article at first.
However, it turns out to have a lot of quality information, videos and sources. The amount of information is fairly extensive.
I didn't realize that Dr Mercola has a standing desk.
I've been trying to make sure that I get out of my Laz-Y-Boy a little more often than my frequent bladder breaks.
Thankfully, I don't have such back pain but I know plenty who do. I hope this can be of value to ATSers who are plagued with such pains.
If you have found some solutions to such struggles, please let others know, hereon.
Cheers.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yea they would prescribe pregabalin for that seriously addictive ..

but yea stretches etc would help a bit but not much unfortunately for some people

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: robbeh

True, as I understand it.

Each person's case is different.

And, I think everyone needs to have a full medical workup with MRI/CAT scans etc. before attempting any exercises that might be the least bit risky.

Some, with primarily tense muscles from stress and anxiety might be able to get relief with such exercises and a minimum of medical falderall.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I use one of these when I need to...works like a charm, best investment I ever made.

www.amazon.com...

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Saving for later.
Had surgery twice.
Still in pain!

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Great article!

I know the best sciatic nerve exercise, but it has to be learned from the source, and most people aren't dying to go out and do yoga with a bunch of people in turbans.

I tried to find the best link that I could, but I honestly hate offering yoga-based advice on the web and if it weren't for the fact that this stretch is the ultimate "sciatica-buster", I wouldn't bother.

But a person would want to be taught this, even if they attended classes just to learn it; once you have it, you never know when you'll need to bust it out.

Also, it can be approached progressively, making it easier for those in pain to try it to see if they get relief.

*Sorry, I'll link in a bit. Interwebs is actin' funny.

BRB

Alright, this is the best I can do. I suppose that if someone really wanted to seek this out as a standby remedy for sciatica they are going to have to make the dreaded "Journey to The East" because the links suck overall.

But this girl seems to like the exercise the most...

Kundalini Yoga Basics: Life Nerve Stretch

It's called "Life Nerve Stretch" and Google is your friend.

edit on 9-5-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yes, for sure, I have one of those, too. That'll pretty much do it, right?

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

Yes, for sure, I have one of those, too. That'll pretty much do it, right?

Yeah, I even went so far as to rig up a bar in the garage and use these gravity boots to get some real extension, even with added hand weights. Works great for me....along with a percocet or 2

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Hi olaru,

May I ask what is the nature of your back pain and/or injury?

I have a background in this both professional and personal.

I'm just interested in what's going on. + you and I have never jammed at all.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I swear by yoga now. I've had sciatica for a couple of years, and often had lower back pain in general, when I don't ride as often as usual, and when I started doing yoga, it was over. No more pain. Ever.
edit on 24-5-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

top topics

join