It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't use social media? Unemployed? You can claim dissability, I guess???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I am in agreeance with you....
Making people have these profiles can very well lead to abuses... Being judgemental about someone is much easier during the job process with social media. Apperence,social life, family life, online activity...Those are legal...some have been so before the internet. It is just quicker now...opens up for more bias.

It will never legally be counted as a disability because will be told to create your online presence... Learn how to use the internet if you don't know how.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
On the flip side to my post above...back in 1999-2000 we all joined a lot of sites because it was new ie: MySpace and MyLIfe, Classmates etc etc...

Im still spending time trying to get into those old ones and delete either the whole account or info inside it as it can still come up in searches...

MS.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
If your resume or CV are not enough to get you hired, then you must be spending too much time in social media, In the absence of a solid/verifiable resume, and a lack of social media... what do you expect the potential employer to think?

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

What experts?
Who are they?

I keep current with hiring practices and unless your career is in marketing or social media this is pretty unusual. Lots of job applications ask relevant tech literacy and this is easily covered in your resume, or in the interview. Either way
not having a social media presence doesn't tell an employer anything.

Of course there are many self proclaimed experts giving bad advice and plenty of people unfortunately paying attention to it.

While I can't show an employer credited computer skills, sit me down for 5 seconds with the companies computer and we're off to the races.

I agree with the poster who mentioned IT peoples practice because I know this to be true as well. Most professionals keep just to a linked in account and some industry websites. This is always good procedure whatever you do for a living.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78
I was once asked for social media account, social.security number, and my driver license number on an application. I provided none of the information in that section. I didn't get the job either.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

I cannot be found on social media (but I am there, albeit hidden), and I have never had any problem finding work. I have relevant qualifications, skills, and references for the work I do, and I suspect this is of far greater importance to potential employers than any social media (or lack thereof) presence.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
According to some, this is the time of individualism and being yourself, but that's just really not true if you ask me. I use a few social media like ATS, but no Twitter, Facebook, or other personal platforms about ''me''. I could give you a whole list why I don't want it and why it's not something for ''me'' in terms of who I am as a person, but bottom line remains that I will never create a Facebook (or similar) account. Even Whatsapp can be too much for me.

If this limits my options in terms of employment, then so it be. Way before this post I figured already that it'd most likely limit certain options because not being as visible, not going along with certain things that are simply the norm by now (people are surprised when I say I have no FB) WILL be seen as unattractive or a red flag by certain employers. However, from my experience in life, and how I know myself, I know how important it is to stick to MY identity and to choose to not go along with certain things if they're so ''not for me''. It's a matter of where your priorities and principles lie, but I feel that the idea/vision of what an ''acceptable person'' is, is becoming too narrow and too demanding in certain aspects that don't actually even make a lot of sense.
edit on 10-5-2016 by ExoticSpaceTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I was listening to some podcasts recently and actually found one that is about the subject, however not from my side of the argument, but when you listen to it and you think about it for just a second or two, you will see what I am saying is true.

Check it out -> podcast.cbc.ca...

It's from CBC Canada.
edit on 11-5-2016 by DumpMaster because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join