It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers say some parts of the globe will become so hot they'll be uninhabitable

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Scientists at the Max Planck Institute are saying that parts of the Middle East and N. Africa are due to get really hot; too hot for life to live there. Now they are saying after the refugee crisis will be a climate refugee crisis.

Their study, published in the journal Climatic Change, notes that the peak summer temperatures in the region will rise almost twice as fast compared to the global average. Temperatures will regularly reach 46°C (114°F), and extremely hot days will occur five times more often than they have done since the year 2000. By 2050, in this already optimistic scenario, temperatures will not fall below 30°C (86°F) at night. Combined with increasing air pollution and powerful sandstorms, the environment will become increasingly difficult to live in, and a massive prolonged exodus is likely. If the Paris agreement is not adhered to, things become far, far worse. Under the business-as-usual model, by 2100, people living there will experience 200 extremely hot days per year. “In future, the climate in large parts of the Middle East and North Africa could change in such a manner that the very existence of its inhabitants is in jeopardy,” lead author Jos Lelieveld, Director at the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry and a professor at the Cyprus Institute, said in a statement.

The Middle East and N. Africa is getting hot in more ways than one. Will there be a mass migration? If so, what will this migration do to shift global power(s)? What says ATS?

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I say that time will tell. It's not the first time "experts" say that Earth will become uninhabitable if we don't pay carbon taxes.

No reasons to continue polluting though.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a desert already located there in North Africa? I don't believe its too habitable, either.

I remember my uncles and other WW2 veterans talking about fighting there. It was as bad as fighting in the jungle if not worse.
edit on 9-5-2016 by NightFlight because: ing

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
So the problem in Syria was not Sunni low educated people uprising against Assad supported by Turkey/Saudi Arabia and US causing genocide on all sides, but caused by environmental differences causing water crisis.

I find people are stretching environmental problems as an excuse for cultural and political problems since they want to implement something.

But then if we had no cultural or political problems then the right knowledge and resources would already exists to deal with any environmental problem.

Adaptation is part of humanity so humans can thrive if given the opportunity. But most cultural and political problems are created to make sure humanity do not thrive.

The Israelis can Terra form Israel. Why cannot other countries do the same. Why not implement a real desalination solution so that water is abundant?
edit on 9-5-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There are parts of the USA already uninhabitable.

Flint,
Detroit,
East Saint Louis,
The south side of Chicago,

Sorry bout that,,,

All I can say about the predictions they are making is "duh"
Youre saying when/if the planet warms the deserts will get hotter and dryer?
Who would have guessed?
edit on 9-5-2016 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Well that solves the ME problem !

Global warming for the win!

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So what are we all doing? Just sitting back and let the whole thing unravel and come apart? Are we to constantly deny that there is a problem? Or rather, that there are issues around the globe that are extremely dangerous situations and not just down to religio-politico differences, but that parts of the planet are indeed experiencing extreme climate swings? The environment is a real issue now, and slapping a carbon tax on everyone is not going to change a damn thing, it's out of our hands now, climate changes have become runaway, and will only settle down on their own once the triggers have been removed, which is going to take many decades, and that is if we actually do anything.

It's the scale of the issue, planet-size and all-engulfing. Water is already a contentious issue in some lands. Deserts will expand and roll slowly across the areas where they already exist, swallowing up areas where they don't currently exist. Of course, if you are not affected by it (yet), then why should you concern yourself for those it is affecting right now?

People are going to migrate, not just for economic reasons, but for climate reasons. Nobody, in their right mind, is going to try to continue to live in an environment that just keeps getting harsher by the year. You wouldn't do so, so don't expect others to do so. Conflicts are going to be inevitable, based on resources, mindsets, and the cultural ideologies from those mindsets rubbing fractiously up against one another. Eventually, we will all be engulfed.
edit on 9/5/16 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Yeah, some areas will become too hot to live.
Others that are too cold to live will become prime real estate.
Global warming is not an evil entity that is good for bad things and bad for good things.
It takes, and it gives.
We'll be fine.
edit on 9/5/16 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What about the Aussies are they doomed too?? or is there too many to worry about.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Sam Kinison explained why that region of the world is not the best for habitation, 'See this? This is sand. You LIVE IN A DESERT!!!!!!'

edit on 9-5-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Good time to invest in solar powered air conditioners.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

LOL ...but think about the Camels for crying out loud .Suddenly desert people are shipping herds of Camels to all parts of the world experiencing desert creep .The IMF could use some good GDP numbers eh .

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Sam Kinison explained why that region of the world is not the best for habitation, 'See this? This is sand. You LIVE IN A DESERT!!!!!!'

Classic. I was thinking of the same skit reading this thread.

There was an article in the NY Times last week about some poor residents on some marsh in the Bayou. Something like 80 people who've lived in this area all their lives. The claim was global warming was eroding their little town and the government was going to spent like $65 million to move these people. You read that right. $800k a person to move some people out of a swamp because of global warming.... you can't make this stuff up.

Resettling America's First Climate Refugees

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
What about the Aussies are they doomed too?? or is there too many to worry about.

We have lots of room in Canada

We could fit our two entire populations together easily up here.
edit on 9-5-2016 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Oh gawd, that's a big can of worms you're opening there lol. You both already have large Asian populations, so maybe it wouldn't be as much of a culture clash as I initially imagined.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

We're both commonwealth countries, and from what I've observed, and experienced, Cdns and Aussies are quite alike.
Our animals and bugs are what is the most different.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Some of my Army friends told me that it was 50 degrees C in Iraq when they were there in 2005 and the people weren't that bothered.

People adapt.Crops probably don't though.I wonder what'll happen then.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
weird how a thread about brown and black people being threatened with global warming didn't include even 1 denier saying things were getting cooler or whatever

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Antarctica is nice and cool.

Looking on the plus side, these hot areas will become the perfect places for massive Solar farms..which will power the free air conditioning and refrigerators.

What's the problem?

Greece regularly gets as hot as mid-40's, so too parts of India, Bangladesh...Australia, Texas...in fact, this is kinda another climate non-story.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Eastern Sahara has a huge underground fresh water lake, seems no one wants to drill down to it to extract the water, perhaps its the cost, unruly natives, too remote, or perhaps its just a myth?...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join