It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Download Directories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
When it comes to downloading the latest software, there are a wealth of websites out there to choose from. In an effort to help those in search of stable, reliable and daily-updated websites for downloading the best software, I have compiled a small list of my favourites. While the major audience of most is Windows PCs, some do offer downloads for alternative operating systems.

The following is a list of websites that are very useful for downloading all types of software:

Freeware Files
* My personal favourite site for freeware. While the design of the site is not as strong as some of the others, the number of categories and a handy Editor's Picks section makes it a wonderful resource to have.

CNET Downloads
* A great all round resource for commercial software, freeware and open source software. You will find lengthy editor reviews and user reviews that are usually reliable. The original download.com has certainly improved with age!

Alternative To
* Very handy for finding alternatives to applications you have already used and want a change from.

File Hippo
* A past favourite of mine that is still decent, but not what it once was.

Portable Freeware
* Great for locating portable software (software that does not require an installation setup wizard, and that can generally be run from a USB stick).

Snap Files
* Great presentation and a handy daily freeware pick which is more often than not of very high quality.

Softpedia
* I don't use this one as often as most of the others, but it is still worth including in this list. It has introduced me to some fascinating software in the past.

Source Forge
* Arguably the best resource for Open Source software there is.

Major Geeks
* A forum/download centre hybrid that is known to be a reliable resource.

I hope you find the above list somewhat useful. Please feel free to comment on the ones I have included and bring forth any of your own suggestions that you feel are honourable mentions. Have fun downloading!

edit on 9/5/2016 by Dark Ghost because: shortened title and fixed some typos

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Great idea

I use most of these, and like File Hippo best, but Major Geeks is great too.

Maybe you want to add portableapps.com which is very good for apps to install on a USB drive.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost
i'll add
Nonags
prolly some of the same stuff offered, mostly freeware

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Glad you added MajorGeeks.
Always handy when working on a number of PC issues.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

I find No Nags is good also.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Wow, haven't heard of half of these, so I feel a little dumbed down but glad I stopped by this thread. I'll check out the ones that are new to me.

Really appreciate you putting this together.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Thank you for the tip , a couple there i had not come across before and one i always thought was bad for some reason softpedia ? for some reason i thought it was a dodgy site years ago ?

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Two that can be added though they are for older versions of popular software, the still come in handy when working on that old dinosaur of a computer.

Old Software Downloads

And

Old Versions Downloads

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
TUCOWS used to be decent...im not sure if they are still going or not

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I would also add Downloadcrew Ninite Softonic FileHorse Employee Internet Monitor useful and working software.

edit on 27-2-2023 by Adam54 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Update Chrome Browser NOW.................10:50 PM EST .

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 05:58 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join