It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Trump attempting to blackmail Paul Ryan?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Donald J. Trump said he would not rule out an effort to remove Representative Paul D. Ryan as chairman of the Republican National Convention if he did not endorse Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

Mr. Trump stopped short of calling for Mr. Ryan, the speaker of the House, to step down from his convention role. But in an interview that aired Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Mr. Trump said there could be consequences in the event that Mr. Ryan continued withholding his support.

“I will give you a very solid answer, if that happens, about one minute after that happens, O.K.?” Mr. Trump said. “There’s no reason to give it right now, but I’ll be very quick with the answer.”
Donald Trump Won’t Rule Out Effort to Remove Paul Ryan as Convention Chairman

blackmail

a : extortion or coercion by threats especially of public exposure or criminal prosecution
www.merriam-webster.com...

According to that definition, Trump is blackmailing Ryan. And, over what? Ryan's God-given right to support whomever he wants to? Can any Trump supporter defend that?

I still remember watching soap operas with my mother when I was very young...

Following Trump every day reminds me of a soap opera plot. It goes from shocking to outrageous in a way that feels very planned to me.

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

But, with Trump, it feels even faker than usual.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

They were so worried Trump would leave the Republican Party, but it looks like the Republican Party is trying to leave Trump.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
If Ryan wants Hillary THAT bad then let him go to her side. By the way, You say how aweful Trump is and then you follow him like a soap opera ? what is that ?
edit on 9-5-2016 by MEDIKATED because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
This is the problem with Trump. He knows he needs Ryan. His people put out the right statements, they set up a meet but, Trump can not keep his yap shut and is blowing the entire thing. I do not know if he just can not control himself or the figures I am going to lose this thing so bad I might as well do it my way. Lets face it even with a unified and supportive GOP it was going to be a long shot anyway.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

By the definition you posted Trump is doing neither thing. He made a statement of fact about his possible course of action.

It actually seems logical.

Is it extortion if I say I will campaign against a candidate, one that doesn't support my leanings, in an effort to get them out of office?

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Actually I can find no problem with Trump's stance.

If the GOP and it's leadership, specifically the chairman of the convention, cannot find in itself the understanding that the party represents THE PEOPLE and support those PEOPLE, then they should no longer represent the party and those people.

Of course he can vote as he chooses....as an individual. Not as the chairman of the convention when it's so obvious both parties hold themselves above their people.

Personally, this is a good sign. Change is coming....long overdue.

As for the thread and it's motive....go ahead and vote for Hillary......

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MEDIKATED

What do they call it when you just have to look at the car wreck as you drive by?
That's what it is with Trumptard.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Trump can not keep his yap shut and is blowing the entire thing. I do not know if he just can not control himself or the figures I am going to lose this thing so bad I might as well do it my way.

Donald can't keep his mouth shut because he is a victim of the party and the establishment (in his mind) and his supporters love to play up his victim status. During the whole campaign, he's been been criticizing the establishment (among other groups) and DIVIDING the party... Now that he (probably) has the nomination, he NEEDS the establishment he's been hatin' on all along, and now wants to appear to try to UNIFY the party he worked so hard to split. So, anyone who doesn't forgive everything he's ever said, appears to be to blame for the party split.

Trump continues to lie to get the sympathy (and votes) from the people, and further divide his clown show from the GOP.

Donald:

“Yeah, I was blindsided a little bit, because he spoke to me three weeks ago, and it was a very nice call, a very encouraging call,” Trump told NBC News’ Chuck Todd in an interview set to air Sunday on “Meet the Press.” “He called me, I think, to congratulate me about New York, ’cause I won by massive numbers.”

But the phone call never happened.

Trump is yet again claiming that Ryan has been claiming to be his buddy all along – even going so far as to claim that Ryan called to congratulate him after his New York win (which was, you will recall, at the end of April). Ryan’s aides immediately said, nope, never happened. In fact, they said, the last time we talked to Trump was that phone conversation in March. When confronted with this, the Trump campaign said, basically, “Oh yeah, that’s what we meant.”

Paul Ryan Never Called Trump After NY Victory

Donald either hasn't quite figured out that we can check and find out that he's a pathological liar, OR, he knows his fans don't care if he lies, as long as he wins... They don't realize how many lies he's told to THEM...

Is he blackmailing Ryan? We'll see what comes out of the meeting.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Paul Ryan doesn't want to "Make America Great Again."
Good on Trump.... I'd say kick that traitor out, I never liked his smug face anyway.
edit on 9-5-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Paul Ryan will find himself needing Mr. Trump...in the end. Watch and see. Ryan will suddenly have a change of heart. Bet that.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
more presidential qualities that will make america great again.

go trump. be sure to threaten our remaining allies too when you get into office.

vote trump!

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Its very hypocritical of the party to have made Trump sign the pledge to back whichever candidate was nominate, then to turn on Trump as soon as it looks like HE'S the one that's getting the nod.

Pathetic really.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
thinking a few steps ahead, maybe ryans "pause" was by design ?

they may have the idea that trump can come away from the meeting with a photo-op with trump and ryan holding hands over their heads and smiling, looking like a conquering hero declaring he has unified the party and now its onto the white house ! (cue the music)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad
Its very hypocritical of the party to have made Trump sign the pledge to back whichever candidate was nominate, then to turn on Trump as soon as it looks like HE'S the one that's getting the nod.

Pathetic really.

Trump backed-out of his pledge in March.

So the hypocrisy is mutual.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
This is the problem with Trump. He knows he needs Ryan. His people put out the right statements, they set up a meet but, Trump can not keep his yap shut and is blowing the entire thing. I do not know if he just can not control himself or the figures I am going to lose this thing so bad I might as well do it my way. Lets face it even with a unified and supportive GOP it was going to be a long shot anyway.

I dont think its any of that..........I think its his ego...

There was a news article a while back about a former top Trump Staffer that resigned saying she could no longer support the campaign, that it was suppose to be basically just for his brand, and to stir things up, but that his Ego got to him and that he has absolutely NO idea what hes doing, and wont listen to advisers because he knows everything. And that he flip flops on so much because 1. He likes to be in the media and ratings 2. He doesnt have any hard positions because hes doesnt think it through.

Sounds like her words are ringing more and more true every day.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

thats because hes "Lying Don"

All of his slogans against other candidates and people are projection......all of it....

He tries to project to deflect away from people seeing just how often he lies through his teeth. For those of us who arent in his cult following its easy for us to see, the guy changes his story and position almost daily.

I cant count the times hes said "I never said that" only to be confronted with Audio or Video of him saying EXACTLY that, and his koolaid drinkers STILL say "oh he never said that"

This guy is a better hypnotist apparently than anyone on the planet

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

This guy is a better hypnotist apparently than anyone on the planet

No, people are just stupid.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The republican party is imploding, this is hysterical and scary as hell.

Maybe it needs to get really bad before it gets better? Its a joke, the Republican party is a total joke.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

More victim speak - not unexpected - No one MADE him sign anything. He signed the pledge freely and then HE violated it in March. Of course, it's always someone else's fault...

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Actually I can find no problem with Trump's stance.

If the GOP and it's leadership, specifically the chairman of the convention, cannot find in itself the understanding that the party represents THE PEOPLE and support those PEOPLE, then they should no longer represent the party and those people.

Of course he can vote as he chooses....as an individual. Not as the chairman of the convention when it's so obvious both parties hold themselves above their people.

Personally, this is a good sign. Change is coming....long overdue.

As for the thread and it's motive....go ahead and vote for Hillary......

Well said!

I think the truth is the opposite of this OP. It appears that Ryan is trying to blackmail Trump.

Ryan seems to be trying to put Trump in his place, hoping to make demands for Trump to concede to some things in order to gain Ryan's endorsement. That is likely what this "meeting" was about. Trump is making it clear in advance that he does not rely on Ryan's endorsement showing that Trump will not be blackmailed.

For those complaining, you need to remember that this one of things voters hoped for in Trump. He will hopefully continue to stand up the elite in favor of the people. It will be a fine line to walk, as he needs to get along with them, to negotiate, but not at the expense of caving to the old status quo of the elite controlling the president.

Ryan has supported many things that are against Trump's policies. And Ryan has shown that he does not care what the voters want by not accepting the choice of the people.

We need a president, not a puppet. Maybe Trump will finally be the president we need.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join