It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor = ugly?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
There are so many things wrong with these civilizations it's sickening. I'm only going to touch on a couple things though that really irritate me.

To me it seems as though society is obsessed with greed and looks.

I would look at cars my whole life and wonder why cheaper vehicles were uglier. Or why more expensive clothes looked better.
The sad truth is that our wealthier citizens are actually making cheaper stuff worse on purpose.

I always wear the same style clothes. I found a cheap pair of shorts that looked acceptable so I bought 8 pairs of different colors. I did the same with shirts. Then I went to but some more more shirts but now they look worse. They actually changed the cut of the shirts to look worse. They actually wasted more material to worsen a cheap product!

I've been watching this type of stuff for years and it's always irritated me. They even do it to food. I once decided to try McCain frozen pizza and was surprised how good it was for the price. Then after 2 months they trashed the product.

It seems this moron world is obsessed with creating low quality products and charging as much as possible for them.

I think what the sad truth might be is that wealthier people are deranged pricks that believe looking okay/good should have a high price tag.
If you're wealthy and never tried it you should go waste some money on cheaper clothes and stand in awe as you behold they make the cheaper clothes ugly on purpose just like vehicles and everything else.

I'm sick of it. I don't want clothes with big logos all over them. I don't want clothes with a trendy name and high price just to look somewhat okay.

Why the hell don't they all use the same patterns for shirts so I can have decent fitting plain looking clothes?

Everything is a damn rip off on this world.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Staygaf

Well mate, I work as a volunteer at the Salvation Army Shop. Cheapest shop in town and we regularly receive donations of some pretty upmarket stuff as well as your used stuff.

In saying that anything with logo's depicting brands/advertising generally get fowarded to another oppotunity shop.

Good shirts from 2 bucks to 4, same with trousers and shorts. You'd be surprised at the amount of people that shop Salvation Army. Free clothes, furniture, homeware to those in need and of course some cash payments in emergencies.

As for patterns on shirts there are many different types and perhaps I may suggest going into your nearest oppotunity shop for a browse.

It's worth it. There is really some good stuff.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Well I would say your assessment of ugly versus not ugly is a preconceived notion of yours. My car looks beautiful and I payed 13000 for it. It's about perspective. If you change yours I promise you will be happier

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Everything is what you make of it, for instance I've bought cheap cars and made them look nearly as good as a high end sports car.

As for myself, I'd be in the poor category I guess but I'm far from ugly, and I can buy cheap clothes and still make myself look good.

Besides everything being a matter of perspective, I understand that things rich people buy are not worth half of what they pay for it and they are likely the real suckers.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I don't agree. Having a fit body is what makes clothes look good and whole foods are cheap. Just have to know how to cook.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. After enough, even the ugliest are stunning.

Seriously though, one mans ugly is another mans beauty. Money only means how much they can buy to hide what they really look like.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

To me it only shows business getting as much as it can by the markets dictations.
You own a company and watch as you make your cheapest shirts not as good as the next ones up and see if sales shift to the higher price.. If they do try it again...

Anyway I bet you guys may be unaware.
I worked in a sock factory running a bunch of machines sort of an operator/maintainer/mechanic caller.. Lol

All the socks we made got branded by like 6 different companies yet they were all made by the same machines..

Anyhow..

I have an interesting style and cheap cheap clothes.
I find myself quite attractive. Hahaha..

EDIT:

And now my ats ad is a picture of 6 different boxer underwear in different colors lol...
Thanks for that

edit on 9-5-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
In my country,South Africa,everything is pretty much a total rip-off.Probably one of The most expensive countries in the world to live in.Homes+accomodation,schools and universities,vehicles,food,medical care,clothing..a bloody nightmare i tell you.

Clothing wise one can find some really nice pieces at the Chinese shops,if you want a bit of colour and detail.For very reasonable prices.I like mostly plain clothing,black,greys,navy blue+other blues/red.Sometimes white or beige.I like to wear the garment,not have it wear me,so i go for plain styles and colours,sometimes i will jazz it up a bit with a nice colourful blouse from the Chinese,but i choose carefully.Mostly comfy sporty clothes,jeans in winter too.At Mr.Price,a local chain,one can find some very useful plain pieces.We are poor,and i also grew up poor,so i had to learn early in life to dress well on a Very small clothing budget.

And even had i been wealthy,i would Never wear clothing with the right "labels" .Im not an idiot who's gonna pay ridiculous prices to advertise their overpriced clothing for them.How asinine.They want me to wear and advertise their status symbols for the shallow or insecure,they can pay Me.
edit on 9-5-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

bring back gingham lol.....
i know wot you mean tho, its all about changing the style because people need change when it comes to clothes and such things, but when it comes to change in thinking, people are scared of change in that sense, me i like clothes from certain stores cause of the fit, and when it comes to change in thinking, thats changing constantly with me in the hope that one day i will discover actual truth, instead of all the mirrors and smokescreens that are obscuring the truth from us in this day and age.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Staygaf

I know! When my personal assistant got back from gassing up my Lambo I was livid when they told me how much it cost.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
There is the argument of beauty as relative- which I am fond of. I can be extremely cheap when it comes to clothes. (I buy almost all mine at the nearest grocery store).

But a few other points-
When you are poor, esthetics are less important.
That's part of my thing.... I grew up poor, I developed certain habits in thinking, which was that only superficial people are concerned with appearences. What was important is that you have some food each evening, some clothes that keep you warm, and shelter. These were not guaranteed each day, so they were more important.
But even as my situation became more secure over the years, I retained a negative attitude towards being superficial. It became a repulsion to things others might perceive as esthetically pleasing! If anyone gave me a compliment on anything I had, I would become terribly ashamed, being sure they must now think I am one of those superficial brats who I secretly condemned as a child. Telling me I had a pretty dress was almost the same as telling me I was a narcissistic selfish idiot!

The result is that between two items of the same price, if one was more beautiful, I would not choose it.

As I fought to stop doing this (as I am just lucid enough to see how insane that is), I have only gone as far as to choose items of good quality, but still things that remain rather classic or subdued. I will not buy anything that attracts attention.

Anyway, I bring that up as one possible effect that could come into play for other people- there could be other people who have less money, and because of this coping-strategy-gone-haywire, actually will buy more often the uglier items!

But also, much simpler explanation-
Stylists cost money. Good quality material and workmanship costs money. It is sort of logical that better quality might often cost more than poor quality, and that ones esthetic sense can pick up on factors of quality.....

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
So in other words, "something isn't the way I want it so it must be evidence of the man sticking it to the poor"..

If you don't like the way something looks then don't buy it and if you do then buy multiples which is what you said you did.

Just because something doesn't work for you has no bearing on anything beyond that fact..I might not dress the way you do, you might not dress the way I do and neither means anything beyond we have different tastes.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I have noticed what you describe with branded foods. Birdseye I have always noticed this with. You'll get a few month of high quality products then over time they get worse and worse. Fish fingers are still good though, Fish finger sandwich with mayo and red sauce.

A few year ago I snapped with the hit and miss regarding named brands. You can save a small fortune making your own food from scratch, if you have a freezer just freeze batches of what you make.

I often do this with jams, pizza, bread, meat and everything in between. I'm having lasagne tonight... made it 2 month ago and it slaps the colour out of the face of any microwavable frozen meal any day.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
poor = lazy, plain and simple,,,LOOKS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT here is the proof.....HILLARY IS RICH

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

They actually changed the cut of the shirts to look worse. They actually wasted more material to worsen a cheap product!

I've been watching this type of stuff for years and it's always irritated me. They even do it to food. I once decided to try McCain frozen pizza and was surprised how good it was for the price. Then after 2 months they trashed the product.

It seems this moron world is obsessed with creating low quality products and charging as much as possible for them.

They sell you the notion the cheaper product is better through advertising. They charge more because of inflation.

Inflation means more money is printed and in circulation, so prices go up. They also cut the amount of food in the same packaging, like potato chips. A big bag of air with less and less chips in them. Or a package of cheese used to be 8 ounces, shrinking now to 7.5, then 6.84 ounces.

Shrinkflation

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Staygaf

I know! When my personal assistant got back from gassing up my Lambo I was livid when they told me how much it cost.

Personal Assistant filling up gas?! Are you too cheap to spring for a Senior Gas Filler Upper on the payroll? ::scoffs:: Talk about tacky!

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I don't wear cheaply made or cut clothes. I go to sales. Big 50% off sales. And I buy off-season. Buying off season is big solution. Find a clearance rack in winter, and deck yourself out for the coming summer.

But I agree on the greed, and I'm tired of everything wearing out so quickly (appliances) to serve the best interest of the economy and big manufacturers. Plus it depletes our resources faster. I'm really sick of it.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
Personal Assistant filling up gas?! Are you too cheap to spring for a Senior Gas Filler Upper on the payroll? ::scoffs:: Talk about tacky!

How do you think I got to the 1%? I run those PA's ragged.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I appreciate quality and craftsmanship. I don't think that makes me elitist.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Yes that is a very good idea.Especially if one sticks to more classic colours and styles.It is entirely possible to dress very well on very little money if one knows how and where to pick the clothing and footwear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join