It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian Refugees In My Town Making Me Nervous

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

we have Sharia courts in the US
Yes, but do they parade offenders in the local square "chained and shamed" before the local mob, and then given 10, or 20, or 30 lashes with a ratten whip? NO of course not, and i believe most Americans have NO idea of the ramifications of sharia. Whipping is par for the sharia branch of islam. Reasons for whipping include: two young people holding hands walking. gambling. a woman riding pillion passenger if not related to the driver. a women being out after 9pm without male member of her family. I could go on and on, and in my opinion this is a barbaric system from the past, and NOT acceptable in today's modern world.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Continuation of lies to serve the same purpose.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
I'll take it you've never been to London, I lived there for nearly 10 years and never had a problem with Muslims, even in the supposed no go areas in east London where I used to drink and go to clubs every weekend. The Muslims were usually the ones who drove you home in taxis or worked in the Indian restaurants serving and preparing food. The only trouble I've had in the uk was when I was at university in Yorkshire. In Leeds, where the locals hated students, and I had a couple of run ins with the locals who just wanted a fight with anyone not their own, but no one called these areas no go zones, because they were all white and locals. Didn't make them welcoming and friendly

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

If you make an effort to get to know them and they don't on their end, then you have an issue to deal with.

The issue being that if you move to another country, prepare to assimilate, I don't care where you come from or who you think you are.

You go to another country, then you play by their rules, I'd have to do the same.
edit on 9-5-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
a reply to: Kali74

There are also numerous places in England considered “no-go” zones

Chief Inspector of Constabulary Tom Winsor confirmed why police officers do not respond in some neighborhoods: There are some communities born under other skies who will not involve the police at all. I am reluctant to name the communities in question, but there are communities from other cultures who would prefer to police themselves. There are cities in the Midlands where the police never go because they are never called. They never hear of any trouble because the community deals with that on its own. It’s not that the police are afraid to go into these areas or don’t want to go into those areas. But if the police don’t get calls for help then, of course, they won’t know what’s going on. Muslim Patrol groups often regulate no-go zones.
You can see more on: www.breitbart.com...

I know people aren't really interested in the truth about this topic, but that quote and the content within the link is incredibly disingenious.

Winsor's quote is not about 'no go areas', it's about the challenge of engaging minority communities with UK policing - especially if English is not their first language. Police forces in every diverse country in the world (the US included) have this self same problem.

Secondly, that link contains 'evidence' of no-go, sharia controlled areas of the UK. It even features videos of alcohol being confiscated by so-called 'religious police'. This is absolute BS - those videos depict a small group of local idiots calling themselves the 'Muslim Patrol', headed up by a white-British extremist called Jordan Horner - feel free to google him. That page reluctantly notes that Horner and his cohorts were jailed for their 'Muslim Patrol' idiocy. The Metropolitan Police became aware of them and shut it straight down. Horner is a criminal and is treated as such.

The biggest misconception about this no-go nonsense is that the city of Birmingham is Muslim controlled, as stated on Fox. This is completely and utterly false.

Deny ignorance, indeed.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

LIES my ARS*!! I live where all this happens, so you know NOTHING and ill informed, back in your box.....

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The issue I'm having is with the large Indian population moving in and trying to be in charge. They get no help because they are new to the country if you treat people crappy. They can keep their dirty doughnuts

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
We also have Beth din courts in the uk and USA, but if you have a problem with them your an antisemite, yet the double standard most people have. In the uk the Jewish community has their own police force with police cars. Yet mention this and your an antisemite. Islamophobia is the acceptable face of hate in the west

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
So you've been too these no go areas?

How come the other two members disagree?

Opposing viewpoints from different members from the UK.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I'm sure it has something to do with terrorist attacks like San Bernardino and Brussells among others.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
They walk around in their burqas and don't talk to us infidels, not exactly friendly.

Have you tried talking to any of them?
I have experience of this. A friend of my sister used to rant about one of their neighbours who she used to see at the school gates every way, wearing traditional dress. She made all kinds of assumptions about her, and I had plenty of arguments about it with her too - it's just ignorance.
Weeks later I found out they had become friends. Their daughters started playing together and they were kind of forced into being friends, but they found out they had a lot in common.

The Muslim woman was a well educated lady who CHOSE to wear traditional dress in the same way a Christian CHOOSES to wear a crucifix.

I don't know what to make of it so I'm wondering if anyone else has Syrians moving into their towns and what do they think, how do you feel?

I feel the same way about them as I do about everyone else. I have no idea where the white guy in the local shop comes from, what his life was like before, what he believes... so why the hell would I care about these things in another stranger when it's none of my damned business?

Why is that you pick out specific looking people and make judgements about them based on colour and perceived religion when any white guy you pass in the street could be a Nazi from Poland?

I can't tell if I'm being conditioned or if I have legitimate concerns. Can I go to concerts and gatherings in the area without worrying anymore are we going to have parts of our town shut down to outsiders and Christians like in London ?

That's not happening in London, or anywhere else, you're being lied to.

Do these women continue to wear burqas because they believe in them or do they have to because of their husbands?

Why don't you ask them?
Perhaps it's traditional in the same way every guy at every club on a Saturday night is wearing designer jeans and a chequered shirt while he fills himself with the cheapest chemical lager and gets into a fight before vomiting all over himself? Perhaps it's cultural in the same way young women wear skin tight dresses which look more like a belt while getting wasted on Jaeger bombs and falling off their ridiculously high heels, while flashing their boobs to taxi drivers - and throwing up on themselves?

You see my point?
Cultures are different, some aspects are good, some aspects are bad, but we all have the freedom to make choices and all cultures evolve over time in different ways.

Don't you think they would want to experience the freedom that the women in our country have.

What makes you think they're not enjoying their freedom?
Why do you assume that because someone is wearing something it means they are a slave to someone else?
Do you think the same thing about the women wearing next to nothing in the street? Is it because their husband demands it of them?

Again, there are cultural differences that are inexplicable, but this is a first generation of migrants arriving with the baggage they bring with them, this will all change over time. As long as none of their cultural baggage conflicts with our laws then why are people so obsessed with how others live their lives and the things they believe?

You should be treating all of these people the same way you would treat anyone else in your neighbourhood, they are individuals who deserve the same treatment as anyone else you would encounter.

These are just people, with the same goals and ambitions as you. They want to live in safety just like you, they want to raise their kids in safety just like you, they want to give their children the best in life, just like you. If you start to think about this rather than obsessing over what you imagine they might be thinking or imagine what they might believe or imagine why they wear what they wear your life (and theirs) will be much better.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

My only experience with Muslims / Middle Easterns was while I was in college... there was a significant number of them at my school. They were all very friendly, hard working folks and I made friends with quite a few.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen
You go to another country, then you play by their rules, I'd have to do the same.

And they are, in the same way the Polish did a decade ago, the same way the Pakistanis did before them, the same way people from African nations did... I fail to understand why people assume that people coming here are regularly committing hideous crimes and refusing to learn the language, or refusing to follow the laws, or refusing to do anything else.

I worked with someone from our local council a few years ago who was part of a team working on giving English lessons to people coming into our community, it was a great project with massive demand.

They had problems though, of course.

Like the leaflets they made... in Arabic.

People like you complain about people not assimilating, then when efforts are made to help these people to assimilate we get people screaming nonsense about how they are being given a free ride. A council prints a leaflet in Arabic about English lessons for people and suddenly there's an ignorant mob outside wielding pitchforks.

I know for a fact that a lot of these people are learning English, it would make their lives a hell of a lot easier so of course they want to. Just like any other adult they're scared, they find it difficult, they find it hard to find time and do this while looking after their kids...

Tell me, would you be able to go and learn Arabic right now? What problems would you face in doing that and why do you believe that it's any different for them? They have the same problems to deal with but somehow the reasons for all of this suddenly become "sinister" if you're Muslim.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion just treat them like any other member of your community until they arouse suspicion then inform the relevant agencies, like you would any other member of your community, but don't be suspicious just because of YouTube videos you've seen or acts committed in other lands, by a tiny minority. Or you could just ignore them and not talk to them. It's funny if American immigrants turned up here, should I be suspicious of letting their kids go to the same school as my kids, with Americans history of school shootings? Would I feel safe going to watch a movie. What happens if there is a crazy American there who wanted to shooteveryone up?

edit on 9-5-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

So you've been too these no go areas?

How come the other two members disagree?

Opposing viewpoints from different members from the UK.

I lived in an area of Manchester, UK called 'Rusholme' for seven years - an overwhelmingly Muslim area of one of the UK's biggest cities. This is the famous 'Curry Mile' - google it to get an idea. This area would most certainly be termed 'no go' by Fox or anyone else who peddles this nonsense.

Whilst a bit rough and tumble - like many inner city areas worldwide - I have never seen one iota of evidence to suggest that the UK authorities are not in control, or that extremism is growing.

By coincidence, I first moved to Rusholme for college in September 2001. I arrived about a week after the towers fell. The only 'general' hostility I've felt there was in those first few weeks when the local Muslims seemed to close ranks a little, presumably to insulate themselves from the madness of what happened - and the resulting scrutiny. You barely heard about Muslims in the UK press prior to 9/11 - suddenly these people were having cameras shoved in their faces and being asked to condemn something they had no part in. I can understand why they were wary suddenly.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: KingIcarus

We have a very diverse population in our neighbourhood here, people from all other the world.
I hear various languages passing outside my window, and I love hearing the kids on their way home from school with their parents speaking their native language and then breaking out into English when their kids tell them what they did today, in perfect English.

I really don't understand why people are so fearful of difference. These people seem to imagine that we have always lived in a bubble of pure Britishness and that suddenly this is all changing. It's nonsense, we are a country built on the migration of people in the same way the US is. Our nations would not be what they are right now without all these people coming here for a better life.

The fact that so many people want to come here for a better life should be something we are proud of, but instead we're infested with this ignorant rejection of anything different and paint those who look or sound different to us as being "evil" in some way.

The thing I find most fascinating is that so many people claim that those coming here are a big problem, but it's clearly the BRITISH who are committing all these crimes, overwhelming A&E departments every weekend, getting into street fights, trashing streets after the football match, getting involved in gang violence in our cities...

Where are all those evil Muslims? They're at home, getting on with life, raising their kids as best they can, learning their new language, working hard in their new job to make ends meet.

The statistics do not support this irrational paranoia so many have. If people were basing their opinions on actual reality rather than irrational nonsense they would be more scared of the white British football loving male than any Muslim - they are statistically more likely to be dangerous to you than any immigrant to this country.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It's not paranoia if they're really after you.

Seriously, most refugees are surely peaceful looking for a better life. As said, I live in an area with one of the largest Syrian populations in the country. Burkas are commonplace. People of every language are heard everywhere you go, and no one thinks anything of it. I have not heard of any trouble, from any parties. The refugees have not faced any threats that I know of.

If anything, it is the young people in gangs that cause more problems.

That said, there IS a threat from ISIS. It is not paranoia. Considered a flood of immigrants that federal security has admitted can not be 100% vetted, there is a chance that some could slip through.

If the vetting process could be improved, we could feel more confident about accepting more refugees.

This is no reason to mistrust all refugees. But there is cause to be wary. The threat is not imaginary. Terrorists have made their intentions to kill Americans very clear.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Several things to consider in answer to that question:

We have been inundated by the media about the violence going on over in Syria. The fighting and wars that are going on, a total mess, and the actions of a desperate people that are wanting change, though the direction of that change has not been what anyone wants. I think part of it is a bit of conditioning. Think about it, that is what many prominent people have been talking about, the risk of terrorist to the point where people are nervous about what could happen that they are acting xenophobic towards all those who look different, or speak a different language.

I have lived in a neighborhood which had a high Muslim population, and they were nice, and friendly to a degree, where there was no problem.

Will there be some conflict, yes, but I would not worry about such, but to take time to get to know them a bit, you may find that they are decent people.

These people, the refugee’s are not here to get into trouble, but to escape the horrible conditions of where they are from. Think about it, would you stay where you and your family is being shot at or bombed or even killed?

It is good to be wary, cause with any influx and mass number of refugees that come in one gets both good and bad. This was seen during Katrina, where people were evacuated to other cities in large numbers, and those cities got not only large amounts of people that came in, both good and those who were criminals.

Can they coexist, yes, but do not invite them to church, it would be considered to be a very bad social faux pas. As far as the burqa’s that is part of their religion. Kind of like wearing a cross, or say a kippah.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
This is no reason to mistrust all refugees. But there is cause to be wary. The threat is not imaginary. Terrorists have made their intentions to kill Americans very clear.

That's the problem though, the threat is not so great that you should completely abandon your Humanity.

How many people are killed by Americans with guns every year, in comparison to refugees?

Why is it that extreme precautions are "justified" in preventing the imagined threat from people fleeing a war, when any attempt to limit the deaths from an actual proven cause (gun crime) is rejected at every turn?

If it's about the safety of the American people then priorities are severely messed up.

I really don't understand the logic of rejecting helping refugees because an extreme minority of them might not be what they seem, while also having a real and statistically proven threat to the safety of Americans going almost completely unchallenged.

How is this in any way logical?

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

a reply to: Domo1

I don't doubt there are many peaceful Muslims I just don't want Brussells and London and Germany happening here with the rapes and bombs and the BS with nlt being able to enter parts of town like in London.

I'm in a tough area though the people will fight back here.

The 'not being able to enter parts of town like in London' is a lie - an out and out lie. If it came from anywhere it was an alleged quote from a police officer in London saying he didn't feel comfortable patrolling a particular area on his own. Trump took the massively hyped up press around that and turned it into 'parts of London are no go zones'.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join