It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian Refugees In My Town Making Me Nervous

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
OK I'm not a Muslim hater ok Muhammad Ali is a Muslim.

They aren't all bad.

However, they have been moving in a bunch of Syrian refugees into my town and helping them open businesses. They walk around in their burqas and don't talk to us infidels, not exactly friendly.

I don't know what to make of it so I'm wondering if anyone else has Syrians moving into their towns and what do they think, how do you feel?

I can't tell if I'm being conditioned or if I have legitimate concerns. Can I go to concerts and gatherings in the area without worrying anymore are we going to have parts of our town shut down to outsiders and Christians like in London ?

Can they co-exist with Christians, this is a very Christian populated area I mean I just don't know.

I have another question..

Do these women continue to wear burqas because they believe in them or do they have to because of their husbands?

Don't you think they would want to experience the freedom that the women in our country have.
edit on 5/8/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I was neighbours with the Imam and his family for the local mosque. They were probably some of the best people I have met. They weren't from Syria though.

However we have had 500 Syrian refugees come into our town since last September. Last week when fort macmurray started burning the members of the mosque ran a collection and gave a large donation to the red cross to be given to members of the community affected by the fire.

So far my experience with Muslims has been a very positive one.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

Hmm. Yeah I didn't have any bad experiences really I'm just curious and nervous because we don't know who they are and they are coming from an area with a lot of terrorist activity.

+26 more 
posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

However, they have been moving in a bunch of Syrian refugees into my town and helping them open businesses.

Is that what I have to do to get a leg up in starting a business these days?

Fake being a refugee so I can open up shop selling baklava or something?

I'm sure as hell getting no help as an honest citizen.

edit on 5/8/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Why don't you say hi and try being neighborly? I'm sure they are trying to lay low as best they can, are scared and traumatized from the war zone they left and the harsh journey they had to make to get out of hell.

+11 more 
posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Joecanada11

Hmm. Yeah I didn't have any bad experiences really I'm just curious and nervous because we don't know who they are and they are coming from an area with a lot of terrorist activity.

Stop, drop and deny ignorance.

Don't play into the fear unless you absolutely witness a reason to.

Embrace them and be polite.

Be a human.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Yeah I'll probably beffiend some of them in an effort to better understand their culture.

And to run recon.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
my next door neighbor is a muslim from bangladesh

I sleep fine

what is your problem dude ?

don't let the media inform you. go talk to them

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

How do you know they are refugees?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I would say getting to know your neighbours usually helps no matter what country they come from.

Not to mention they have some amazing foods.

Imagine being a stranger in a strange land and not knowing the customs and laws and culture of where you are. It would be no easy task.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

How do you know they are refugees?

Because it was a big issue in the town. It's a small town and some people made a big deal out of it when they got here. This place is afraid of change. Luckily ive been exposed to different cultures.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Yes, luckily...

I would say the same as others, get to know them first, if you find an actual reason then worry away.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I have quite a few Muslim neighbors, and I worked with a woman Muslim who I grew very fond of.

I learned they are very protective of their children, they are also strict in their religious beliefs - fasting, women's roles - walking behind the men, and I've known some who always wear their burqas.

The one I knew claims she never worked before but always used military times for her time cards which I thought was strange for a stay at home mom. She has since moved.

Overall they are from what I've seen peaceful people who stick to traditions.

Don't worry they probably won't invite you over for dinner

+8 more 
posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

And to run recon.

That's not befriending that's being two-faced and disingenuous.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

I find that odd that they use military time.

The strict conformity to wearing the burqa kinda struck me as odd considering what's happening in their home country you would think they would want to break some of those nolds but I don't know I'm clueless

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Try being friendly and remember who doesn't reciprocate. I'd be shy as F if I moved to a new country even if it was English speaking and majority white.

Honestly man it would sketch me out for awhile too. You see the crap Europe is dealing with and we're constantly bombarded with Muslim extremists. I'm betting the vast majority just want to feel safe and don't give much of a crap about anything else.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I don't doubt there are many peaceful Muslims I just don't want Brussells and London and Germany happening here with the rapes and bombs and the BS with nlt being able to enter parts of town like in London.

I'm in a tough area though the people will fight back here.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Can I go to concerts and gatherings in the area without worrying anymore are we going to have parts of our town shut down to outsiders and Christians like in London ?

That doesn't happen in London or anywhere in the UK, it's a load of garbage to keep ignorant people buying The Daily Mail and from focusing on anything important... just like here.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: KTemplar

I find that odd that they use military time.

The strict conformity to wearing the burqa kinda struck me as odd considering what's happening in their home country you would think they would want to break some of those nolds but I don't know I'm clueless
I only worked with one woman who used the military time; the other woman went home to India last Summer and never came back. Her son was my son's first friend when we moved here. She did not wear the burqa, and was fairly independent of her husband; but the poor thing could not drive in snow. I had to drive her car once lol.

I knew another woman who wore all black - and a lot of people were afraid of it. She was very friendly to me and we talked quite often. I have not seen her in at least over 6 months now.

i don't know a whole lot of their beliefs - just a few that my old co-worker told me about.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

How do you know that have you been there and seen it?

I wonder what the members from the UK have to say about that...

edit on 5/8/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join