It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unintentional Influence of the Avatar

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Happy mommy day! Did you have your new baby yet?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

At times, I do star some people without even finishing their post, because, in my experience, they are correct 99.999% of the time. Sometimes I see the name, somethimes the avatar.

I also star people I don't normally agree with and that is after I have seen their name or avatar.

My eyes do go to the avatar or name first, automaticallly, in most cases.

It does have some influence.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I started a thread here ages ago about why were so many avatars dark, negative, demonic, evil etc. in subject, design etc?

I think you ask a good question. I'm sure there's an influence. Visual stuff is powerful.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Wow, waking up to find more replies than anticipated.

From your thread, did you find that the responses from members with "darker" avatars were more negative?

I would assume they would be generally, though not always.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to stars. I don't think the avatar has much influence with me on that issue. Of course I'm generous with them in threads I create because I value contribution regardless of agreement.

I generally dish the stars when I have a response to an op in my head, I read subsequent responses, and somebody has written something close to what I was thinking. Star for them, and if I have nothing to add, I keep my response to myself and move on.

It is when responding to somebody directly where I feel most influenced by the avatar. For instance, the other day I kind of had it out with a member I took issue with. Didn't really mean to get as hateful as I did. It's not something I do very often. I would rather express my hatred in generalities rather than directly. I usually don't regret or feel bad about something along the lines of "Jeez guys, I just hate my job today". Hopefully you get the point.

Now, in this particular instance, the member I took issue with didn't have an avatar. It was much easier for me to dehumanized this person, rationalize my anger, and go on the offensive. Would I have been as enclined to lose my cool if I were arguing with a fluffy unicorn? I don't know. It is interesting in hindsite, even if somewhat regrettable.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I just changed my Avatar as i had my first birthday here on ATS and decided to grow some hair
and spruce things up a little bit ,

I think your Avatar is a reflection of who you are in the real world in terms of humor

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Now, knowing what has only been recently evident to me, I have to ask. Would my view or opinion be swayed had I participated in a thread on my PC where I can see avatars at a glance and know with whom I am speaking? Do our avatars have some underlying influence in how what we have written is perceived?

I definitely think so, to a point.

Of course, the content is more important, but the avatar can certainly "flavor" it.

For example, if a female avatar, I generally assume it is from a female perspective. That could be completely wrong of course...but it is what it is. Of course, sex is but one example. If a character one likes or respects, then some of that may transfer through as well.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Hi Bobaganoosh!

I think a lot of us are unconsciously influenced by the avatars.
When I see the familiar avi of a friend here I will always read what they've posted.

Okay, confessing here...I actually disliked a new member for a while because his avatar was a real pic of him and he looks like my ex-husband. Same real name too. I actually sent him a PM and apologized in case I had been 'a jerk' to him, and told him why. We both laughed and now I feel much better after talking to him privately.

I love my avatar for various reasons and I feel like 'she' is like my alter-ego...my online persona. Others have told me that seeing my avi makes them smile, and I got a few messages when I changed it just recently. (telling me to put it back)

For a short while I had changed to a gothic-type female image and suddenly I was getting flirted with and even stalked. I asked a friend here why...and all he said was "boobs". While I had chosen her for the expression in her eyes, all anybody else saw was the cleavage, lol.

The only avatar I ever really disliked here was the one with the fly crawling out of the eyeball. I would just scroll past without reading what they wrote.
So...short answer is "yes"...I believe we are affected by a member's avatar, to a certain degree.
S&F
jacy

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I love your Avatar too. Thanks for putting it back. I didn't feel like I was talking to you with the others.

Now, the idea of talking to a fly, crawling out of an eyeball? That image is gross, even to a fish! How do I get that image out of my head? I'm still dealing with bestinshow but thrilled he had bumped my thread.

Speaking of which, OP, I've enjoyed this thread of yours and smile when I see someone has contributed.

CF

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

I've enjoyed this thread as well.

Do you have an avatar? If so, it is not visible to me even on my PC.

To Jacygirl, I love your avie, and I'm not even a GOT fan.

To ATS, I've been mindful of my posts lately. Weather I'm drunkposting or not.

I do realize that I dehumanize people without avatars. I realize fully the impact that a picture makes.

I have no peer reviewed study for anybody to digest. I only looked at myself, and my ATS interactions over the last couple of months.

It makes sense. It doesn't have to be fare and equal across the spectrum. In fact, it's better if our conversations aren't fare. It's better to provoke a reaction and subsequent response than to allow the respondent to simply read silently, and never express an opinion.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

a reply to: ClownFish

I've enjoyed this thread as well.

Do you have an avatar? If so, it is not visible to me even on my PC.

Alas, not yet! To be honest, I didn't think I would last here on ATS long enough for it to matter because I saw how people are here today and gone tomorrow and I wasn't sure what those dreaded magic words were. I figured it was just a matter of time before I accidentally uttered them. On the other hand, I just don't notice sometimes or I forget or get busy. Plus, I sometimes enjoy the bit of invisibility it gives me. I'm sure I go unnoticed quite often without one, as I'm like everyone else and my eye goes to the Avatar.

I'm sort of kicking an idea around behind the scenes. I just keep forgetting where I left it! Try finding an invisible fish in a confusing web...especially one with a mind of its own and a sense of humor.

Yours is awfully fun. I'd keep it. Enjoy...

CF

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I see the avatars as not unlike a tattoo.
Sometimes they say something about the individual by choice. They may declare a belief, desire or something else in their avatar... sometimes they inadvertently say something about the individual.. or they may just choose it because they like it.

Occasionally I see something in an avatar that alters my perception of a person, usually it would be something that indicates the individual is not capable of critical thought, is exercising extreme bias or will otherwise respond in a manner not conductive to conversation and/or will attack, insult or abuse me. (I have no inclination to rile or indulge someone's biases)

If you look at mine, you might notice there's a very fine banner above and below my name. I placed that there because I am a lesbian and when I have such a thing in my profile it assists in conveying the message to males to not hit on me. (I have had problems with that in the past)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I find the Avatars a pretty side piece, often a visual thing thats very personal to the posters - not so much related the name.

Some times i does take me a while to realise somones updated theirs - but it doesnt effect my posting habits - i wont let it, to me thats like treating some different depending how they look (real life stuff)

I do enjoy most of them and i disagree that a majority are dark in nature - they are certainly usually very interesting.

EDIT: as to the starring or flagging - always down the post and not the name or avtar, a good post, well written, one that desirves a good read many resason. I dont post to get stars, when i do get a star it just makes me glad im not talking total garbage - ultimately im an anonymous, so why should i panda for stars?

edit on b5555628 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: LilFox
If you look at mine, you might notice there's a very fine banner above and below my name. I placed that there because I am a lesbian and when I have such a thing in my profile it assists in conveying the message to males to not hit on me. (I have had problems with that in the past)

I like your avatar!
I would not have guessed that you are a lesbian from it though.

It's nice.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thank you

I quite like yours as well, it actually reminds me of nature and following a lifestyle that is close to it.

I did think about adding a small icon to it somewhere which gives a bit more of a hint but I don't think I will have too much of a problem on ATS.

The character is from a visual novel, an impressionistic artwork as she normally doesn't dress in such a manner, but it means something to me. (As I have been playing it in various incarnations and versions for years and she is fairly like me in many ways.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join