It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You think the Donald will be Tough Enough ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: vethumanbeing

It's the same impulse that drives people to stick skewers through their faces.

This is some kind of Chinese vegetarian festival.

Finely whittled Hearts of Palm I suppose? What I find interesting is "Ear Gauges". Progressive Ear lobe stretching to outrageous chicken egg proportions within the western culture (some have tattoos and piercings); I think its a get back to a *tribal* mentality; not sure if defining a tribe or identifying with one existing somewhere.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

My thoughts on ear gauges and other forms of body modification like piercings and tattoos and their increasing importance in Western society is that we all long to feel like individuals, but our society is one that increasingly collectivizes and groups us. It is also one the increasingly devalues individual thought.

To me, in such a world, the natural way to express your frustration and need to be an "individual" is to do what you can to make yourself a physical individual, to look different, if aren't allowed to be yourself and think as an individual.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Great reply!

i agree

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10
Yeah.

Except that piercing and tats don't really say much more than "Me too, I'm different."

Different from what, exactly?

I grew my hair long 40 years ago. Still do.
Don't mean much more than I don't like getting a haircut.

edit on 5/8/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I grew up knowing people from the Philippines, my Siblings and i became good friends with their family, they were just like anyone else apart from the story as to why they ended up in a NA country. I heard stories of horror and these people i played with daily as a child nice people and good friends told me of how horrible it was there. They had nothing people lived like crap and they, they were the lucky ones.

I blame the govt's of these countries for what they're doing, why aren't they doing anything for their own people?

It pisses me off just thinking about it..

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hi sweetness.. good to see you on it's been a while

I feel everyone should just do what they wish so long as it doesn't bother or impede on anyone else.

Different from what? i dont remember mentioning that but ok.

I can't envision you with long hair but maybe it's because i can't envision john lithgow with long hair.

I agree, i hate hair cuts, i have hair down to the middle of my back i doubt i'll ever cut it.
edit on 5/8/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

My thoughts on ear gauges and other forms of body modification like piercings and tattoos and their increasing importance in Western society is that we all long to feel like individuals, but our society is one that increasingly collectivizes and groups us. It is also one the increasingly devalues individual thought.
To me, in such a world, the natural way to express your frustration and need to be an "individual" is to do what you can to make yourself a physical individual, to look different, if aren't allowed to be yourself and think as an individual.

Yet look at those that identify within a piercing or tattoo (ear gauge) group think. They are defining themselves as something tribal in orientation. These are body modifications; not at all within what one would call a modern religious belief system. This is in the face (ancient worlds) feather wearing drumming blow dart civilizations that remain in the DNA of progressive Humans. Backwards (ancient) civilizations thinking in forward motion to corrupt/ratify that which exists now as false (to their minds understanding).
edit on 8-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Well DingDong has now won his presidential race let the antics begin.. We will see how the guy progresses as he has been lacking in Policy but big on rhetoric.. The thing is he does not want any government shenanigans to get in his way so he will be trying to change a few things..

www.bbc.co.uk...

Maverick anti-crime candidate Rodrigo "Digong" Duterte has won the Philippine presidential elections, following the withdrawal of his opponents. Although the official result has not yet been declared, main rival Mar Roxas admitted defeat after polls gave Mr Duterte an unassailable lead. Mr Duterte said he accepted the mandate with "extreme humility". The 71-year-old stirred controversy during campaigning with his incendiary comments. He has credited his success to his tough stance on law and order. His record as the crime-crushing mayor of the southern town of Davao, once notorious for its lawlessness, earned him the moniker The Punisher and resonated with voters.

www.yahoo.com...

Davao (Philippines) (AFP) - Incendiary Philippine politician Rodrigo Duterte vowed on Tuesday a relentless crackdown on crime after securing a landslide presidential victory built on foul-mouthed populist tirades that exposed deep voter anger at the establishment. The 71-year-old firebrand's main rivals conceded defeat after an unofficial tally showed Duterte had an insurmountable lead in Monday's election of 6.1 million votes, a result that added to howls across the globe for strong, populist leaders. Duterte, the longtime mayor of the southern city of Davao, captivated Filipinos with vows of brutal but quick solutions to crime and poverty, while offering himself as a decisive strongman capable of resolving a host of other deeply entrenched problems in society. "It's with humility, extreme humility, that I accept this, the mandate of the people," Duterte told AFP in Davao early on Tuesday morning as the results came in. "I feel a sense of gratitude to the Filipino people." In other comments to reporters who had converged on Davao, Duterte offered an olive branch to his rivals following a deeply divisive campaign that had seen President Benigno Aquino brand him a dictator in the making who would bring terror to the nation. "I want to reach out my hand and let us begin the healing now," said Duterte, whose campaigning style and ability to upend conventional political wisdom have drawn comparisons with US Republican Donald Trump. However Duterte vowed to push through on the central plank of his campaign platform -- ending crime across the nation within six months and eliminating corruption. On the campaign trail he had enraged critics but hypnotised fans with profanity-laced promises to kill tens of thousands of criminals, forget human rights laws and pardon himself for mass murder.

edit on 10 5 2016 by skywatcher44 because: Added

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

I'll be going back there in July.

I have some friends coming up from Manila in a couple weeks, I'll ask them how things are going.

When we were there in Jan, they were having elections and there were signs and posters everywhere for the people running for offices, all over the place.

They take politics pretty seriously, it seems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join