It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female genital mutilation.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: Bluesma

originally posted by: angus1745

By the way this mutilation of female genitals bears no relation or similarity to male circumcision you #ing mongoloids.

This is way off T&C's, you have a serious emotional problem.

It seems that your problem is equating apples and oranges, simply because they both have 'circumcision' in their name.
There are no health benefits that can be attributed to female circ.
No medical validity.
There are MANY health benefits attributed to male circ. (like it or not)
Your equating them is a logical error.

Nope.
The numbers come up in areas where leaving male children whole is not the norm and proper hygeine is not commonly practiced. All across Europe, circumcision is not done, and the statistics for infection and disease are not higher than in the US (on the contrary).
Simply because they know how (and teach boys to) wash their penis correctly.

If a country does not brush their teeth, it could be found that pulling out all the teeth at birth is a source of less infections in the gums in that particular population.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here is an article which shines some light on the issues involved in some of the cultures that practice this (for anyone who is interested beyond the simple act of collective condemnation, and more into why, and how we could influence change).

(once again, whenever we judge another, finding understanding of their motives and attitudes is helpful in finding effective responses or solutions....
and the best way to do THAT is to reflect upon our OWN SIMILAR experiences!!
So looking at our own practice of systematic mutilation, why we do it, why we put pressure on others to do it, etc. is a helpful step in approaching those we would hope to encourage to change...
)

www.theatlantic.com...

edit on 8-5-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Tommo, I was first made aware of this practice not too long ago, then, one of my favorite bloggers/podcasters did an episode about it. I have posted these before, and if none of you guys have listened to this podcast, I highly recommend it.

thebiggestproblemintheuniverse.com...

He really makes the case for FGM being the biggest problem in the universe and I believe it's the highest rated problem he has brought to the program. Give it a listen.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

Thanks Mate, i will listen.......

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Jews have been Mutilating MALE genitalia for thousands of years..Comments?

I dont think you realized how dumb that question was. LoL.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: angus1745

From what I understand, there are muslims totally against all forms of circumcisions and muslims who are for female genitle mutiliation. Both are extreme sides and like most religions, the final holy word on topics are unclear or interpretable.

Relying on an illiterate war monger's interpretable word is about as midevil as one can get.

Either one is for total freedom and equality, or one is for the opposite. Muslims, or other cultures, have to leave traditions and holy versus behind in order to assimilate with freedom and equality.

Its hard to believe that these people are without logic or empathy.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't know why it is being compared to circumcision on men, what is done to females has zero benefit and and only harms them. At least with men it can help to prevent a bad smell, especially at times when bathing water is not available.
edit on 9-5-2016 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Obviously there is a lot of denial and purposeful ignorance concerning male circumcision in our society.
It really makes it clear how difficult it can be to change peoples minds about practices that are familiar and common to them. No amount of statistics and facts will matter.
At this point the only interest in bringing it up is to show an example of what you are up against if you want to change this practice! People who practice FGM are going to be just as closed minded as we are in the west concerning our traditions!

Let's begin looking at details:
For one, this is repeatedly being referred to as a muslim practice.
That is not exactly true.

Although estimates of the prevalence of FGM vary, sources have consistently found the practice to be undergone by the majority of women in the Horn of Africa, in the West African countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Mauritania, Mali and Burkina Faso, as well as in Sudan and Egypt.

Of these countries, all have laws or decrees against the practice, with the exception of Sierra Leone, Mali and some states of Sudan

These are tribal traditions and rituals for the most part.
Currently the highest percentage of FGM are in Somalia, Guinea, Djibouti, and Sierra Leone.

As described in the article I linked to, the women usually choose to have this done, and defend their right to do it, seeing deeply symbolic meaning to it. The 20 year old that arranges her cutting ceremony before her wedding, how can that be so different from the women who have labiaplasty in the US?

We have the difference of the clitoris, which for us in the west sounds horrible, as sexual fulfilment is extremely important to us, but as the women in the article explained to the anthropoligist- sex for pleasure is part of being young (they are sexually active before marriage, it is expected). It is part of all the ways kids and teens practice and learn through play of various sorts. Then you become an adult, and these acts have real consequence, meaning, responsibility and importance for the community.
The day sex becomes serious is when you are married- no more playing around! You are going to be creating future members of the community, you suddenly have a different role in society, with more respect.
These women take that seriously, choose it, and it is an important part of how they see themselves and their relationship to the world.

This is a view that would be important to keep in mind as you try to convince them to do otherwise. It's difficult to take that sense of responsibility and importance from them; as well as the ritual sense of entering adulthood through a consciously chosen sacrifice. These are deep drives you're talking about here....

Then, for those that don't know, there are different forms of FGM.

Type I: removal of the clitoral hood, the skin around the clitoris , with partial or complete removal of the clitoris

Type II: removal of the labia minora , with partial or complete removal of the clitoris and the labia majora;

Type III: removal of all or part of the labia minora and labia majora , and the stitching of a seal across the vagina, leaving a small opening for the passage of urine and menstrual blood (infibulation);

Type IV: other miscellaneous acts, including cauterization of the clitoris, cutting of the vagina (gishiri cutting), and introducing corrosive substances into the vagina to tighten it.

(source: wikipedia. I'm on my way out the door and sort of choosing to grab the easiest summaries- feel free to find better sources and even information that might be different)

The type of procedure performed also varies, mainly with ethnicity.
Current estimates (from surveys of women older than 15 years old) indicate that around 90% of female genital mutilation cases include either Types I (mainly clitoridectomy), II (excision) or IV (“nicking” without flesh removed),
and about 10% (over 8 million women) are Type III (infibulation).
Infibulation, which is the most severe form of FGM, is mostly practiced in the north-eastern region of Africa: Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Sudan. In West-Africa (Guinea, Mali, Burkina Faso, etc.), the tendency is to remove flesh (clitoridectomy and/or excision) without sewing the labia minora and/or majora together.

Source
edit on 9-5-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
these girls have nobody to speak for them. their twisted parents think its some kind of right of passage. its not.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Having been raised in Africa, I have seen this barbaric practice first hand and have been campaigning against it for years. Its now only thanks to the power of the internet that people outside the areas that practice it, are even hearing about it. Unfortunately due to the subject matter many just close their ears & eyes.

That said, I should point out that many African girls actually WANT to be circumcised and feel very left out if they are not. It is celebrated and the girls get gifts (usually) but from personal experience they have little or no idea of the actual long term effects nor the real reason it is done. What I found was that despite all the problems pain and infections not to mention the severe effect all gm can have on sex life and childbirth, it is often the mothers who push for it to be done....a case of "I had it done so you will too"

Sad

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Here's a novel idea. How about everybody keep their f****ng hands to themselves and off of boy's and girl's genitals!?!? There is no reason whatsoever other than for nefarious purposes to mutilate a perfectly healthy child. The human body in all healthy babies is perfect and needs NO modification.

As for the women on this thread who are so flippant about forced male mutilation...if you want men to take up your cause you need to reciprocate. No one cares about what you find aesthetically pleasing on a man's mutilated penis. Because that's all it boils down to. Maybe you shouldn't have so many unclothed men around you. But that's a whole other issue.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I am not that up on these kinds of procedures but I get the idea of what goes on and yes it should be stopped. Any group of people who think its ok to destroy another persons body young or old should be stopped.

Nut job religions

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowsOfEridu
Here's a novel idea. How about everybody keep their f****ng hands to themselves and off of boy's and girl's genitals!?!?

Though I agree, for those cases of young girls forced to have this done, the majority are girls over the age of 16 who choose to have it done of their own will. That makes changing the practices a bit more complicated.

As for the women on this thread who are so flippant about forced male mutilation...if you want men to take up your cause you need to reciprocate. No one cares about what you find aesthetically pleasing on a man's mutilated penis.

Applause for that! I find it irritating to see so many women sneer at the men to "shut up nobody cares about your mutilation" while actually expecting them to take up the fight against it being done to women!

edit on 10-5-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Informative post. I think your sources are good enough. This isnt a scientific discussion
Its truely wierd how tradition can be so powerful.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
yeah what about male genital mutilation? ohh no one cares. right....

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

I am not that up on these kinds of procedures but I get the idea of what goes on and yes it should be stopped. Any group of people who think its ok to destroy another persons body young or old should be stopped. Nut job religions

"God/Creator Being" got the human physiology wrong; and mankind is its infinite wisdom will correct those mistakes.
edit on 10-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Thanks.

Nothing pi**es me off more than child abuse.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
these girls have nobody to speak for them. their twisted parents think its some kind of right of passage. its not.

The clitoris removed is just the center of a system of nerve endings (the actual organ is 5 inches in length; think of it as a belly band).
edit on 11-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Gender reassignment surgery = genital mutilation

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
I don't know why it is being compared to circumcision on men, what is done to females has zero benefit and and only harms them. At least with men it can help to prevent a bad smell, especially at times when bathing water is not available.

Speaking of 'bad smells', have you heard about the trend that's going around
about uncircumcised parents letting their children decide when they're fifteen
whether or not to get mutilated?

www.cc.com...

Isn't she sweet?
She even allows her servants to blog!
I bet if she didn't terminate them, her kids would be allowed
to do anything in their rooms, anything. It's harmless, really, just a taboo.
Oh God bless America, never had it so good...

# 643
edit on 12-5-2016 by TheWhiteKnight because: there ought to be a registry

edit on 12-5-2016 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I fell asleep with the radio on last night. I woke up around 5am, and there was a programme about a woman being mutilated by a group of people. I was extremely horrified, and it made me cry. I felt sick and still do. Here is the article on BBC news. Be warned, it goes into graphic detail:

www.bbc.co.uk...

How any human being can do something so despicable to another human being is beyond me. It is terrifying that if I ever went to Sierra Leone and upset the wrong person unintentionally, this could happen to me. It is even more sickening that the person responsible is walking free, even though it is illegal.

This is a practice that needs to be completely eradicated at all costs.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join