It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's mathematically impossible for Bernie to win with pledged delegates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I just though some people may have forgotten this or weren't aware.

Here's how it works: After winning Indiana, Sanders has 1,399 pledged delegates and superdelegates to his name, according to the Associated Press' count. That means he needs 984 more to reach the threshold of 2,383 needed to win.
The remaining contests, however — Guam, West Virginia, Kentucky, Oregon, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, California, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, and the District of Columbia — only have 933 pledged delegates to offer.

Does anyone think he can win over the needed super delegates? I would think they would side with the people, who clearly favor Hillary.

I actually think Sanders is a great guy (though I disagree with him), and am very impressed by his ability to rally so much support in such a short amount of time with little to no name recognition at the onset of his campaign. That being said, I think Hillary is a far easier target so I'm kinda glad. The only thing that worries me was his seeming to be open to be Hillary's VP pick, and that he would support her when she wins. I suppose it makes sense, but I would have had more respect if he endorsed a third party. Hillary was smart to treat him with kid's gloves, I think if she had actually gone after him she would have alienated even more people.

Link

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I think Bernie got the shaft from the get go. I seriously do.

I am not a supporter of his, but I would rather have him than Hillary if I had to choose between the two. We thought the RNC's rules were crap. The fact that the DNC allows so many "super delegates" to just hand it to someone before the contest even starts REALLY reeks of crap. They can basically outright pick who gets the nod right out of the gate. I think the super delegates need to go the way of the fanny pack. Forever.

I like Bernie as a person. I disagree with a lot of his policies, but he did get screwed and that ain't right.

ETA - I think he is actually holding out to see if Hillary gets indicted. A smart move on his part as long as he has the funds to do it. I would likely do the same if I were in his shoes.
edit on 5/7/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I like Bernie as a person. I disagree with a lot of his policies, but he did get screwed and that ain't right.

Agreed. Even Emperor Trump agrees.

I think part of his problem at the beginning was with name recognition. Shoot I didn't know about him really until those jackass BLM morons jacked the mic from him at some event he was speaking at, and then only because it was local news.

Also, the Dem establishment seems to think that Hillary is owed something. I have no idea why, she's always creeped me out.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I had no clue who he was either. But you have to admire a man that age that stands up for what he believes in even though it's a nigh on impossible fight. He has spunk and fight and I can respect that.

Hillary... I think she could literally run over kittens in the road, back over them again and not even blink. Where Obama was kind of bumbling in office... she is cold, calculating, and will do what needs to be done to further her own agenda without losing a wink of sleep about who it hurts or how badly. Of course that is only my opinion, but her eyes tell me that she could eat my liver with fava beans and a nice chianti.

I shudder inside at the thought of her holding office and I generally try to go with my gut. I know people like her. I just can not find one... not even one redeeming quality about her.
edit on 5/7/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

But you have to admire a man that age that stands up for what he believes in even though it's a nigh on impossible fight.

His record really is pretty awesome, even if I disagree he's been consistent.

I shudder inside at the thought of her holding office and I generally try to go with my gut.

She creeps me out so much. You know that feeling you get when it's dark outside and you're walking and feel like something is following you? Same thing thinking about her.

Here's some nightmare fuel. Hillary Clinton is in you neighborhood campaigning. You lock the door and turn out the lights. Then you hear a light scratching outside the bedroom window. You finally get up the nerve to open the blinds and look, and all you see before she starts pandering to your demographic is this:

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Man, the next 6 months is gonna get ugly. This whole circus is going to cause a lot of damage, not only to the candidates seeking the presidency, but also to the political parties, our system of government, our world standing as a trustworthy and responsible nation, and even worse to our own society as we become more and more divided.

Donald Trump is an angry as hell, loudmouth, self-serving sociopath. He’s a snake oil salesman surrounded by 350 million willing suckers. He’s a ticking timebomb waiting to go off. The next 6 months will be filled with Trump’s mudslinging and nasty personal attacks, since he has no grasp of the issues to intelligently debate. Just goes to show you how far an idiot with more money and questionable contacts than he knows what to do with can go. It’s obscene.

I like Bernie, but I’m getting a little irritated with him, as well. If anything he’s making it more likely that Trump will win it all. Maybe the whole process and power grab thing has seduced him and he’s no longer able to think clearly. He makes a lot of promises and says what everybody wants to hear, but I’ll be damned if he could get 1% of his ideas funded and through Congress. Time to come down off of that cloud Bernie and help make sure Trump doesn’t take the prize.

Hillary’s got her own warts, but IMO is the best bet we’ve got. She does know the ins and outs of the system and is capable of working with both sides. Scream all you want to about her, but she beats the competition by a longshot. At least she’s not an emotional hothead like Trump.

Just my 2 cents...

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: netbound

Giving into hegemony would not be the right thing to do.

Urinating on a record like Bernies, by toeing any line drawn by Hilary Clinton, would be a tragic thing to witness. America has trouble trusting its politicians, because unlike the people of the United States of America, it's political class is beset with people who do not stand up for principles they hold in truth, but play games with the people as chess pieces. Bernie is not such a fellow, and I hope he remains true to his core values, and refuses to endorse any establishment candidate, or accept the position of VP if asked to fill it.

Being VP under a sociopathic lizard like Hilary, or as some utter morons have suggested, under Trump, would make him complicit in whichever flavour of horror those individuals will surely inflict on the people, should they be elected. That does not seem like the sort of thing he would do, and that is one of the main reasons people voted for him at all. He is not there to play games, he is there to stand for the little guy, to defend the defenceless, to battle the greedy, to represent regular people, with compassion, respect, dignity, honesty, and no facade what so ever.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Not long ago, most people believed that the Republican Convention would feature a contested nomination process.
It is still quite possible that Hillary's nomination could be contested.
She doesn't have the required number of delegates yet.
Who knows what news we will see coming out in about Hillary's email problems before the Democrat Convention?
We could even see an indictment. (I doubt it though)
That would be a real game changer.

edit on b000000312016-05-07T04:40:59-05:0004America/ChicagoSat, 07 May 2016 04:40:59 -0500400000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Terrible article. Shame on Politico. While true, it's mathematically impossible for Bernie, it virtually is for Hillary too. Updated totals are:

Hillary: 1704 unpledged
Bernie: 1414 unpledged

That leaves 892 unpledged delegates left to gain of which Hillary would need 679 to make the mark. That's over 60% of the remaining delegates with Bernie expected to win the rest of the contests in May...

The convention will most likely be contested.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
It has been impossible since the first week of the election, now he is going to kiss her butt for vp and she is going to laugh like the cow she is and choose a female that is less attractive if that's possible.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
It makes you wonder what Bernie Sanders meant then when he recently said 'Bernie Sanders’ Real ‘Political Revolution’ Could Happen This Fall'. Wishful thinking?

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
Isnt it that the Super-Delegates are not "bound" ? I seem to recall that as a fact. Victories for Sanders from here on out may sway enough of them...who knows ?

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Oh man, so we really are doing a Donald Trump vs Hillary Clinton 2016 thing here. I can't tell which one would be worse. I've been meaning to take a coma too damned tired, but maybe I should extend that for 4 years wake up and hope things are better.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Bernie isn't out of it yet. Just because talking heads and swiftly typing fingers claim it doesn't make it so.

In fact, just this morning I was reading that it's 'mathematically impossible' for Hillary to win also!

Most of the mainstream media have, for the past seven years, spoken of Hillary Clinton as the presumptive Democratic Party presidential nominee.

Any narrative outside of this was ignored or attacked until this pesky, independent and un-owned candidate named Bernie Sanders reminded us that the American people might have something to say about who the next president is. And the people started turning out in great numbers to tell the Democratic Party that they want more out of them, that they want a strong alternative to business as usual.

And this movement was met with condescension. The anointers of Hillary told us that Bernie Sanders’s ideas were unrealistic, pie in the sky fantasies and continued to ignore the massive grassroots movement that was happening.

Establishment figures lambasted Bernie supporters as sexist and racist and uninformed, or just college girls wanting to meet boys. Soon, after Bernie started winning primaries and caucuses, our friends in the media told us that it was mathematically impossible for Bernie to secure the nomination even though the same was true of his opponent and only 300 delegates separated the two candidates.

Then after the disparities between New York exit polls and the final vote count we were told that exit polls are unreliable even as the media continues to use exit polls daily to mold public opinion.

We Need to Fix Our Broken Election System

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Sanders awarded 49 more Washington state delegates

Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders was awarded 49 more delegates in Washington state, according to district-level breakdown of the state’s primary results done by the Associated Press.

source

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yes posting while not awake isn't a great idea. I meant pledged... twice plus 1

edit on 5/7/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The only reason Bernie is still in the race is the possibility Hillary gets indicted.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: Kali74
Isnt it that the Super-Delegates are not "bound" ? I seem to recall that as a fact. Victories for Sanders from here on out may sway enough of them...who knows ?

That's what I'm thinking, too -
no matter what MSM says, or your neighbor, or whoever, Bernie is not going to just simply "fade into the woodwork." What he's doing is incredibly significant. For them all to keep "assuming" she's got it wrapped up had got to be what they're being told to say -- anyone with half a brain can see that Bernie is not done.

Not done, and plenty to go - and yes, those "superdelegates" are UNPLEDGED - they can change their mind on the convention floor - and that's the idea with "contested conventions" I guess! (Just learned that the other day!)

The candidates go to the convention and schmooze the delegates some more - and then they vote. Rock, paper, scissors.
Sometimes they both throw "rock" - and then they do another round.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I disagree, Will. Normally I agree with you - but I don't think that's true.

He's in the race because MILLIONS of people still want to see him, and hear him, and vote for him. Hillary can't say that so much, at least not with real integrity....Bernie came out of nowhere, and he's now a rock star!!

He'll NEVER go away!!

top topics

join