It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Home Schooling Programs required to update windows 7 software?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Hello all. I was thinking about my niece and her homeschooling program when it came to mind that she was still using a windows 7 (win7) based computer. As most of us know, all support for win7 has been discontinued. This to me seems to be an issue. Wouldn't that mean any security risks post the discontinuation not be accessed by windows? So I was thinking. Are the homeschooling programs like Connections Academy (the school program my niece is in) required to at least update the software to a Windows 8 or 10? if the hardware isn't compatible are they obligated to update the hardware? Food for thought.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Definitely no, do not upgrade Windows 7.

Seeing as support is not required ( no widows update)
and Windows 7 is free, it does not make sense to
move to Windows 8 or 10. I tried 10 and had to
reinstall windows 7 on my PC, so I know how easy
it is to upgrade, but do you want to eventually
have to pay for it pay for it?

Upgrading does expand the capability of your PC
but for non-advanced users it isn't necessary.

I have been trying to create a partition on my disk,
to hold W10 so I can play a game, but it isn't practical
with my hardware to run both W7 and 10. It's too hard
to switch between them.

a reply to: Antipathy17

edit on 6-5-2016 by Drawsoho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

The 'connections Academy' should be asked. There may be more than security issues to it.

I did upgrade to win 10 free. I grew to realy like it.

I think win 7 is just as secure as Win 10 if you are using reasonable anti virus/malware programs.

The window to upgrade free was 'supposed' to have ended, but I know people who have recently used the option from within Win 7.

edit on 6-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

One thing I reall like is that all the appointments I have noted in Cortana (window's asst like Siri) now show on all my devices that I use a Windows login with. That is extremely convenient.

It adds all sorts of otions to connect to game consoles and other gadgets.

It would depend on the requirements of 'Connections Academ' if that is your main issue.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It will depend on the school. I worked on my grandson's computer with reference to home school systems and found their own software was very tricky and demanding and took a great deal of bandwidth. If the school system software demands a particular brand of Windows, you'll have no choice, but be careful because the software might very well demand an OLDER version. If it's working on Windows 7, leave it alone. Upgrading to windows 10 could break it.

I have systems running Windows 3.11(!), XP, 7, and 10. Windows 10 has some very irritating traits, including updating without your permission at inopportune times. The higher you go with Windows, the less control you personally have. Windows 7 is a fine OS and I don't think you really gain anything with Windows 10. It's just that Microsoft really wants you to go there. I'm on 10 right now, but my other "seven" machines are staying there until they pry them from my cold, dead fingers. (And, umm, no, I don't use the 3.11 machine, but it still works!)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Ha ha ha ha ha, why do you think that?

Are you hoping that the whole illusion will be spent?

I have sworn not to drag my fellow loaners, ha ha ha, how little you trust them. X
edit on 6/5/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: Fuch it!!

edit on 6/5/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

They said at work that the free upgrade period ends in July, so the free period is still on for a little longer as far as I know.

I am hanging on to Win 7 as long as I can. It doesn't bother me to let the free period expire because I'll have to buy Win 10 software sooner or later as a PC builder.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Support has NOT ended for Windows 7. It will be supported until 2020, according to Microsoft.

No. Home schoolers are not required to upgrade to Windows 10.

edit on 5/6/2016 by Klassified because: Add link

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

never used a computer to homeschool used books and workbooks computers were new and email was just coming out when I grew up cell phones were not invented yet.

new topics

top topics

join