It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Half of Iraq Population Estimated to Vote : People Allowed To Vote In Safer Areas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Only half of Iraq estimated 15 million eligible voters will cast ballots in the national election according to a senior election official. He also indicated that resident in high risk neighborhoods may be allowed to vote in safer ones to ensure a better turnout. Residents of Fallujah will be allowed to vote in areas they took refuge during U.S. led attacks there to root out insurgents.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A senior election official estimates that half of Iraq's 15 million eligible voters will take part in this month's national election and says that to encourage a high turnout, those living in insurgency-racked areas will be allowed to vote in safer communities.

Farid Ayar of Iraq's Independent Electoral Commission said he expected 7 to 8 million Iraqis to vote on Jan. 30 in a ballot seen as a major step toward fulfilling U.S. goals of building democracy here after decades of Saddam Hussein's tyranny.

"That won't be bad. It will be OK for Iraq at the moment," Ayar said Thursday outside his office in Baghdad's heavily protected Green Zone, home of the U.S. Embassy and Iraqi government offices.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They will have to get out the vote. However will a 50 percent turnout make the election legit? Here we consider a 60 percent turnout good and we do not have a daily car bomb threat either. If the Sunnis want to boycott then so be it and allow the Shiite majority to have total control then they get what they deserve in my opinion. However, the effort to make the polling places safe needs to be redoubled as well. I would consider the election legit if they can muster a 50 percent turnout.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Well FredT, are we having a fix election or what?

I tell you only the "ones" that our administration wants voting are going to vote.

Now do you have any idea or any news concerning if the Kurds are going to participate in the elections or no?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The outcmoe is a no brainer. But given the predicament that the US and Iraq is in, the elections (or should I say the faormalities of an election) has to take place.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Now do you have any idea or any news concerning if the Kurds are going to participate in the elections or no?

marg, a good question. I have no idea about the Kurds going to the polls and I have seen no coverage from the mainstream press or any stream for that matter. I take it you may?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Funny all the news coverage is about the shiite and the sunni, and the posibility that the sunnis "most of them" will not participate.

What and irony that US took the sunnis out of power, and now it favors the shiites.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
no irony involved here... people like FredT who support there terrorist nation want the sunni and shia population to hate eachother, so a civil war can start (which nearly already has) and the US can stay there to "help" control the people, by stealing there oil and destroying there cities

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by P Amaru
no irony involved here... people like FredT who support there terrorist nation want the sunni and shia population to hate eachother,

And what exactly are you basing this on? Please point to my post where I am advocating a civil war? If anything, there would not be much of one as the Sunnis would be crushed by sheer numbers.

top topics

join