It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Strait-Jacketed Teddy Bear Brings Protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Mental health agencies have turned their ire towards a teddy bear company. In this case, the Vermont Teddy Bear Company, is selling a bear in a straight jacket called "The Crazy For you Bear" and comes with commitment papers. Mental health advocates says it was a tasteless attempt at marketing.

story.news.yahoo.com
MONTPELIER, Vt. - A company that sells cuddly Teddy bears through the mail has angered mental health advocates with a special item for Valentine's Day.

The Vermont Teddy Bear Co. is featuring a 15-inch bear in a straitjacket. The $69.95 stuffed animal is called the "Crazy for You Bear" and comes with its own commitment papers.

"This bear was created in the spirit of Valentine's Day and as with all of our bears it was designed to be a lighthearted depiction of the sentiment of love," the company said in a statement.

Mental health advocates believe the bear is "a tasteless use of marketing that stigmatizes persons with mental illness," said Jerry Goessel, executive director of the Vermont chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to admit its pretty funny and my wife thought it was cute. The army of political correctness marches on and in this case seems to be looking for a new recruit. Had the groups not protested, how many people would have bought a teddy bear that costs $70 dollars U.S.? Not many but now thanks to the protests, they will sell out.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think it's cute. Crazy in love sends a good message IMHO. These teddy bears are hurting no one.
I was happy to hear Vemont Teedy Bear wasn't gonna quit selling them...until after Valentine's Day. It irks me that these groups want to tell companies how to do business.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
there has to be a better balance out there between not being able to sell a little humorous teddy bear and insulting people who are or have family that are nuts. maybe they can have a TASTEFUL and SMALL disclaimer somewhere indicating the seriousness of mental illness and donate some portion of the proceeds to a mental health program? what better way to say "i love you" than a cute/funny bear and a donation to those in need?!? and if it would kill the mood for the girl to see any reminder that there is a world outside of her own (if she is a selfish jerk-off) than you could simply remove it before giving it.
daved

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
LMAO
Im sorry, i cant think of anything sensitive to say.

What next, swastika bears in Britan? Funnyhow some small inconsequential things offend while horrendous injustices are often overlooked or accepted.
Does it come with a supply of @ Ritilin or a small syringe and a bottle of @Thorazine? LOL

Perhaps if some sales proceeds went to mental health? A specific product such as this could then be seen as harmless humor to promote awareness.

[edit on 123131p://250112 by instar]

top topics

join