It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Cent Donates $100K to Autism Speaks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Remember hearing the uproar about 50 Cent after he posted a video talking about an airport worker who he thought was "high", but it turned out the man had autism? Ats thread

Well, it sounds like some good came out of this afterall. www.cincinnati.com...

We appear to have reached the final chapter in the 50 Cent-Andrew Farrell saga. It came in the form of a $100,000 donation to Autism Speaks from Curtis Jackson III – known as rapper 50 Cent – in an effort to "make good" with the 19-year-old Conner High School graduate he mocked in a video he posted to Instagram, according to a release.

The family of Andrew Farrell have also accepted his apology to the family (prior to this news coming to light).

I had a feeling this incident would help raise awareness. Celebrities are like everyone else, they make mistakes, they can be inconsiderate and act before thinking, but at least in that position they also often have the financial resources to help make a difference in the charity world. Overall, I think this is a humbling story and reminds me to double-check my own thoughts/words before I speak.

P.S. here's a comment I left on the original thread - I was wrong to have assumed Mr. Curtis Jackson would be too busy on Instagram to take the opportunity to do something good - just goes to show, people can amaze you if you just give them the chance #IwasWrongtoJudge #Relevant #Autism #Awareness :

edit on 6-5-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So now everyone is suppose to be like HEY GREAT JOB?

GFY 50 cent.

100k he gets to write off.

What if he was a regular douche who didn't have a 100k to make up for being an A-hole?

The privilege.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
So now everyone is suppose to be like HEY GREAT JOB?

GFY 50 cent.

100k he gets to write off.

What if he was a regular douche who didn't have a 100k to make up for being an A-hole?

The privilege.

Sadly, in this day and age, just that fact that he owned up and apologized(in apparently a sincere fashion) is a pretty big deal.

Otherwise I'd agree, but I give the guy a little credit for not running and hiding from making an ass of himself.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Of course he apologized, he has to protect his brand.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Exactly.

I almost stopped using half dollars because of him.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Was it a change you could believe in?

edit on 6-5-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Any press is good press, the world is different for celebrities. A lot can make a career(and a boat load out of money) doing nothing but making a spectacle of themselves.

It's possible that he, may have, actually cared about offending someone who's condition is beyond their control.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Would folks prefer that he just "apologized" and moved on? At least he actually did something other than saying sorry after the fact. It's not excusable, but I would bet he actually felt some guilt after the fact, especially after receiving those messages from the man's parents and others who knew him. I would bet that would have an effect on you or me. It probably did on him as well.

But that's just my 2 cents on 50 Cent

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Was it a change you could believe in?

No, it wasn't Obama promising it.

link   
Isn't he supposedly "broke"?

Or is that another rap artist? I quit listening after Public Enemy called it quits.

link   

Maybe he should've put some "respeck" on it from the start.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Maybe he should've put some "respeck" on it from the start.

Unfortunately he's human, like all of you(I'm not, but maybe one day I can be), so he's still subjected to the occasional mistake or two.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It's a nice gesture and good publicity for him but how much is Fiddy worth again ?
Any money donated to a good cause is worthwhile but $100,000 seems like a cheap get out of jail free card to me.

Hopefully he will learn a lesson from this.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Why you trying to put ppl on front street anyways 50? Worse than a teenage chick.

Felt like your life was having some # moments so why not try to give someone else one?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Okay Captn'

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Okay Captn'

It's lieutenant actually.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Obviously.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There are many people who feel that Autism Speaks is not a worthy "champion" of people living with Autism.

autismwomensnetwork.org...

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBlackTiger

wow, I might need to do a little more research on this org.

It sounds like the group doesn't want to listen to a lot of people who have concerns about their activities/approach

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

For a guy I hear is broke, good on him!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join