It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sadiq Khan on the verge of making history: London's first Muslim Mayor.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Sadiq Khan today looked on course to make history as Mayor of London despite a last-minute fall in his lead over rival Zac Goldsmith.

Sadiq Khan today looked on course to make history as Mayor of London despite a last-minute fall in his lead over rival Zac Goldsmith.

As Londoners began voting, the final poll of the year-long battle for City Hall found the Labour lawyer ahead of the Tory environmentalist by 43 per cent to 32 per cent on first preference votes.

In the final run-off, according to the YouGov survey exclusively for the Evening Standard, Mr Khan is heading for a victory that would make him the capital’s first Muslim mayor by a clear 57 to 43 margin.

The gap narrowed as the bitterly contested fight to succeed Boris Johnson entered its final hours.

Is anyone else SHOCKED by this, especially in the context of our current environment?

The son of an immigrant bus driver vs the son of a Billionaire, with marital ties to the Rothschilds...

What say you English ATS-ers, whats the word on the street?

My mind could not be any more blown right now.

edit on 5-5-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
i wonder if this is reported on fox news' website, i wonder what the comment section looks like.

anyway, this is monunental.

i hope hes not just some idealistic bloke they vote for simply for the sake of diversity. i hope hes actually got some experience under his belt for such a huge task... if he wins.

edit on 5-5-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well, time will be the only measure of how good a Mayor he makes.

Many eyes will be fixed on him to see if he a Mayor who just happens to be Muslim, or a Muslim who made it to be Mayor.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
As long as Sadiq Khan is mayor, ISIS will not attack. He's a brother. No?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Meh. Good for him.

Looks like the elites have found their new population to steer. They will dum down other populations until the Muslim one gets decadent and dull, then a new uprising of some other population will be engineered. It's all a game.

And 99.99% weren't born into the game. You're just the pieces on the board.

Even Trump admitted that he won the sperm lottery. His dad's fortune gave him an advantage over most.

My unsolicited advice... Learn to grow things. Be self reliant. Meet your neighbors. Get involved in local politics and whenever possible, do no harm.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong voting in a Muslim man, so long as Islam is not his political party, if he understands secularism and seperation of church and state, then whatever the hell he believes doesn't matter to me, and the issue is then a disingenuous push by the media. The issue is that, many consider Islam a complete way of life, including political, and when Islam becomes established as a majority political party, rights are systematically destroyed. Regardless, I am atheist and Christian men often run my country, with that said it doesn't matter what you believe so long as you follow what I outlined.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Why be shocked?

Why are you shocked?

Im not!

As long as his religious faith does not get involved with how he runs the city then there is nothing to worry about!

Kindest respects

Lag

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I'm no great supporter of Sadiq Khan and his view on political issues.

But Zac Goldsmith?

If I was a Londoner and they were my options I know exactly which way I would vote!

Interesting that most of the replies here seem to be from Americans....I wonder what my fellow Brits feel about this, particularly Londoners.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I'm no great supporter of Sadiq Khan and his view on political issues.

But Zac Goldsmith?

If I was a Londoner and they were my options I know exactly which way I would vote!

Interesting that most of the replies here seem to be from Americans....I wonder what my fellow Brits feel about this, particularly Londoners.

Couldn't care less to be honest.. There is no decent option here..

In regards to him being a Muslim. . Although he may be the first mayor, we have had Muslim people in prominent positions here in the uk for many many years.. so it is not unusual and would certainly not blow anyone's mind or cause any concern here.
edit on 6/5/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

In theory you comment is positive, but if you know anything about islam you will be sadly disappointed. The koran teaches there is nothing above allah, not government, queen, president etc. So his objectives must be always for allah's needs, and not the people of London. Don't forget the koran teaches muslims to go forth and convert ALL infidels and non believers to islam. THIS will be his priority's as it is for all muslims.....

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
a reply to: Lagomorphe

In theory you comment is positive, but if you know anything about islam you will be sadly disappointed. The koran teaches there is nothing above allah, not government, queen, president etc. So his objectives must be always for allah's needs, and not the people of London. Don't forget the koran teaches muslims to go forth and convert ALL infidels and non believers to islam. THIS will be his priority's as it is for all muslims.....

What a load of fearmongering bs..

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Expected that from A POMMIE ****. Go and explore/read some time as it's obvious you have a closed mind, off to your local pub.....

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well I'm just glad it's not another toff Tory Easton boy in a position of power. Goldsmith is out of touch with most people. He's never had to worry about buying a home or minimum wages, coming from one of the richest families in the country. I'm not a great fan of Khan. He's not exactly charismatic, but I guess it's a change from Tory toffs and Burlington boys who represent a tiny proportion of Londoners. I would say this is more of a result of bad Tory policy recently, with members like Jeremy hunt and IDS woeful performances. God I hate Jeremy hunt but he has a great name, that really helps when looking at his smarmy face. You just can't stop yourself
edit on 6-5-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Couldn't care less to be honest.. There is no decent option here..

I can understand that mate.

Goldsmith just represents the same old Eton / Oxbridge connections that dominate the upper echelons of every influential section of UK society.

Sadiq Khan seems to be one of those typical PC do-gooders that appear to dominate the Labour Party nowadays.
But he at least seems to have some sort of understanding of everyday life and people's concerns - father a bus driver, he worked on building sites during summer holidays etc.

Vote for None of the Above would be the most appealing option methinks.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Expected that from A POMMIE ****.

Sigh.....
Another *Aussie* keyboard warrior believing the stereotypical bollocks about 'Pommies'?

Go and explore/read some time as it's obvious you have a closed mind,....

You do understand just how ironic and even hypocritical this comes across, don't you?

..... off to your local pub.....

Bit early for my liking but I certainly will be later on....exactly what is your point?

ETA

*If not an Aussie then possibly a Kiwi then?*

edit on 6/5/16 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

ISIS kill plenty of Muslims, it just doesn't make the news as often.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

YOUR Avatar say's it all.....

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Expected that from A POMMIE ****. Go and explore/read some time as it's obvious you have a closed mind, off to your local pub.....

What is that under the stars.. The c word? To be honest wouldn't expect anything less judging by your previous comment..
And the irony of an aussie telling me to go to the pub..

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

What?
A character from a comic that is a fond reminder of a pleasant childhood from alas far too many years ago?
Stop being so silly.

Now stop your cryptic replies and say what you mean...I assure you, I have thick skin, broad shoulders and am not easily offended.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

a reply to: Freeborn

You really shouldn't judge someone by their avatar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join