It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global patriarchy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: malevolent

Is that what I described? People who are just trying to discover and become more evolved humans? No, I described those who take it a step further, that because of their gender enlightenment they mindlessly push identity politics and attack masculinity as if it's a presupposed bad thing.. Live and let live is right, more parts of society especially the SJW and dogmatic left needs to join us in tolerance.

So you had your rant - let's face it, we all need one now and again. You were calling a person a 'mindless muppet' because you don't agree with what he says, then you go on to say live and let live and that others need to join 'us' in tolerance?

Do you not see the irony in that?
edit on 6-5-2016 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I sometimes feel like this whole gender thing is just the idea that sometimes little boys and little girls will like activities outside their typical social roles taken too far.

I was a tomboy and I still like a lot of things that are more typically enjoyed by men. I also don't enjoy things that are more typically enjoyed by women, but none of that makes me any less a woman. Sadly, I am still very shamefully heteronormative and extremely comfortable with that. I accept that I just have different tastes than my feminine counterparts.

My husband is similar. He likes to cook. He's not as into some of the things I am that are typically thought of as "guy" things. The only reason he likes football today is because of me. I taught him to like it. But at the same time, he is very heteronormative too and sees no problem being the man of the house just as I have no trouble with him in that role.

I sometimes think we assign too much importance to the things we do as signs of our "gender" when they aren't. They're just the things we do, and everyone has their own set of likes and dislikes. So we should stop putting people inside a box and then trying to label a gender based on that.

I mean clearly I should be some kind of butch lesbian or transgender with the way I sometimes behave ... right? But I'm not. Don't want to be and once I got past the adolescent stage and learned that my likes and dislikes were simply my likes and stopped caring that I don't like clothing or makeup or shoes or celebrities and all that other silly crap society tells me a good little woman cares about ... I settled right in.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I mean clearly I should be some kind of butch lesbian or transgender with the way I sometimes behave ... right? But I'm not. Don't want to be and once I got past the adolescent stage and learned that my likes and dislikes were simply my likes and stopped caring that I don't like clothing or makeup or shoes or celebrities and all that other silly crap society tells me a good little woman cares about ... I settled right in.

There's a huge difference between you and a homosexual or transgender person.

A homosexual is not attracted to someone of the opposite gender, no matter how much they try.

A transgender person doesn't just like to "do things" that are opposite of their biological sex. They literally feel like they are in the wrong body. They see their body as "wrong", compared to what their identity is. They are disgusted with their biological body parts and feel their body has betrayed them. You spoke of none of those feelings when you described yourself.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yes, I am familiar with the text book definitions. Thank you for teaching me something I already knew.

I am curious though how you "feel" like a woman or man. I have never "felt" like a woman. What does that "feel" like?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I firmly believe in choices, rather than being forced to follow stereotypical gender roles.

There is no reason the man can't be the primary caregiver of children if he wants to be.

There is no reason the woman can't be the primary earner of the family if she wants to be.

I also don't have a problem with traditional roles, if that is what people choose.

The important thing is CHOICE.

Is there a global patriarchy? In some places, yes. In some parts of the U.S. I have seen it. It used to be everywhere in the U.S., but a lot of that has changed, thanks to those awful feminists who fought for women to be able to vote, own businesses and break the glass ceiling of promotions and opportunities.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: kaylaluv

I am curious though how you "feel" like a woman or man. I have never "felt" like a woman. What does that "feel" like?

It feels like you are in the right body with all the right parts.

When everything matches up (body and brain), it doesn't really "feel" like anything. It's like asking how do you feel like you. It's only when things don't match up that you "feel" wrong.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

i was only assuming since you put this in rant. maybe you need to spend more time actually looking at yourself from the inside and find out WHO you are before you start bitching about what another country is doing

well I think he has already "been there done that" if you bothered to read the OP comprehensively. Like many males today we feel that there is an underlying agenda to go one step further and totally make males and masculinity a "dirty word".
One suspects its all part and parcel of the depopulation agenda.

Funny how this seems to be prevalent in Western Civilization and absent in other nations - excused by validating it as "cultural diversity"

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

i dont think thats any of your business and who the hell are you to even ask me that?

but 1 post up you admitted to...

i am a worshiper of a goddess that is called a demon because of male masculinity

I'm confused, seems like you're not comprehending and are attacking (some underlying anger issues)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Do people really deny that patriarchal bias exists in our society? Things have been biased in favor of men for millennia, but it doesn't necessarily mean that such is the best policy in our current modern society.

Despite advances in equal rights, we're still not yet equal, and many of us are standing up and demanding to be treated with the same respect that men receive by default. Dare we stand up for ourselves, we're labeled radical feminists and bitches. Such doesn't mean that we hate men, hell I very much love and respect the men in my life, however striving to be equal seems to be a bad thing in the minds of many here.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I do see what you're saying as well.

I also did wish to reiterate that I do not believe one 'system' is better than another. I do think it is important to look at things and think over things and then choose for oneself what sort of life they will lead.

I wanted to show this thread to my friend too, we're sitting here drinking. Yeah we're swigging beer out the bottle, we're a couple of tough broads like that. lol.

But speaking of 'scared women', my friend is upset because she injured herself. I'm the same, I'm very clumsy. I mention this because it has to do with perceptions of self maybe, or maybe like gender doesn't matter when you're hurt or sick. And also for serious things any and all must be "tough" to recover from them.

Another thought I had about male or female is I guess "size of people". OK the both of us are rather tall. Close to 6'. Yes we are women.

My injured friend here, who's watching me type this and we'll see if she OK's it, but it is a point where people may "mis interpret" things. So I said to her: You nearly broke your leg falling in those 4" platform shoes and you have them on again now???

I could see how men could interpret this as something like "Silly Females". But what friend said is: The only other shoes she could wear are beat up old hiking boots that are so worn down they throw the bod, posture out of whack, and so would flat shoes, those would distort the bones in other ways on top of the injury so it's probably best to walk in the same shoes, what your posture and body have recently been used to.

Well I guess that makes sense. And friend does have engineering and physics degrees from top schools. And so do I. How butch of us
Mine's just a BS from (US) "Public School", nothing fancy. No pedigrees will keep you from being a clod though.

Applies to men too. Pollution will do you the same too. Man, woman, gay, Mexican, midget, TG, even animals too, pollution will sicken anyone and there's an equalizer for you, again, do it the hard way. We both have pollution also, ingested (serious to the point of ongoing class action suits in the Federal courts), so yeah that's another thing and a it's a "body issue" and changes how you function and "look at yourself" so to say, too.

As example: We are all propagandized at to "Live the Traditional Life". Get married and have kids and all that. But if you are corrupted by pollutants you should not have kids. You don't gamble on that. It's the only sane way to go.

And what kind of an asshole would knowingly gamble with such issues with somebody else's life?

Yeah, women like us may be "un feminine" for not having kids, but we did it for a reason. Many reasons, but this is a huge one. If you have health issues, and serious things that may be "passed on" and a high probability of serious damage, well yeah the smart thing to do is to maybe take a pass on that. And the compassionate thing too.

But people still get on your case and try to strong arm you. And what if one (anyone) simply does not want to live a "traditional life"?

Men have NO idea what crap women take! Here's another common thing with my friend and I: both of us had husbands who tried to coerce us into breeding. At first I thought, wow this is weird, how similar we are. But then I began to read more, especially on the topic of "Reproductive Coercion" (that can be Googled, there is lots of info). And I was stunned. This is shockingly common. It's no weird coincidence at all, that I should meet women with similar tales, it's shockingly common.

Look: you can't change a 'career girl', or other types, maybe a hard core hipster, party people, dedicated academians, various types of people, you cannot force women like this to become a "house wife". Especially if they don't want it and or are not suited for it.

But the men do not let up and neither does the breeding propaganda.

In my opinion NO ONE is trying to take "Masculinity" or "Femininity" away, if that's what a person wants to do, have at it I say.

What people like us are saying is: Please STOP trying to make us like you. It won't work. It's a bad fit. If YOU want to do really whatever it is you want to do, that's fine, but could you please stop trying to strong arm us who have taken a different path?

I wonder why too, why any man wants to feel "Masculine"? You have to prove what to who? Are you having an internal identity crisis and maybe looking for some artificial construct to define you?

I get the feeling from reading the further comments here that the OP mostly wants to lead a "Traditional Lifestyle". Go for it then man, no one is stopping you nor trying to tear you down. Do what you want to do.

I think those of us who maybe balk against it are not against you, we just don't '"fit it" and we get tired of people trying to strong arm us. It isn't about you, it's about all the propagandizers leaning on us.

Wow this is long. I will keep going anyway.

Back on "bodies": as I said, self and friend are rather tall and believe it or not, for all the runway models out there, who get plenty of attention, men really don't like tall women. You have to find a tall guy. Most men want a "petite" woman. Go look at any dating ads, high end to low, they're all looking for "petite". And that isn't really just short hand for "slim", they know that and they specify heights too. One guy I saw recently said he wanted under 5 foot and 100 lbs.

They all want the "tiny" girls. And yes we are relatively slim but big tall Amazons few men want. We do OK though and gravity sure likes us too, give the pavement a kiss Clumsy Girl.

And you can't do anything about your height. You can't change that.

What's wrong with "Masculinity"? Nothing as far as we "Tomboys" and "Boyishly built" ladies go. Mens jeans fit better on us too

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

There are societies that are Matriarchies as well as Patriarchies all throughout.

Can you name a few matriarchies? I know of just two: the Minangkabau of Indonesia and the Thakkali/Mosuo/Gara people of the Himalayan plateau. And in both these societies, men generally spend their lives travelling and trading far away from home: the Minangkabau as seafarers, the Thakkali mainly in China and the Far East. Typically, the women defer to the men when they are at home.

The reason women have power in these societies is that property descends through matrilineage. So it applies mainly to the upper classes in these societies — the landowners. Among the landless, the boot is often on the other (that is, the usual) foot.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FalseMove

I get the feeling from reading the further comments here that the OP mostly wants to lead a "Traditional Lifestyle". Go for it then man, no one is stopping you nor trying to tear you down. Do what you want to do.

I suspect the problem there is finding a woman who wants to be patriarchally coddled and condescended to.

You know how hard it is, finding the obedient kitchen appliance/sex toy/baby maker of a man’s dreams.

edit on 7/5/16 by Astyanax because: no need to get personal.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

haha yes you guys caught me, i just want a baby maker, and I will give her a fully loaded kitchen, and unlimited cleaning supplies, a monthly subscription to cosmo, and I will allow her out unsupervised on Fridays perhaps Sundays though i don't want her getting religious on me so probably just Fridays .. This is why discussion is non beneficial & counter productive-washing me with y'alls sadomasochist sex lens isn't right, but carry on.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Astyanax

haha yes you guys caught me, i just want a baby maker, and I will give her a fully loaded kitchen, and unlimited cleaning supplies, a monthly subscription to cosmo, and I will allow her out unsupervised on Fridays perhaps Sundays though i don't want her getting religious on me so probably just Fridays .. This is why discussion is non beneficial & counter productive-washing me with y'alls sadomasochist sex lens isn't right, but carry on.

LOl. your sarcasm could get you a job writing that pays.

In that vein,,,start writing. I need you to pay for my nails to get done

edit on 7-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Christ on a cracker, this is STILL tthe patriarchy thread? Tech, see me in U2U

he sent me the link.
edit on 7-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Alrighty you all, I am bailing out of the discussion we are now verging on the ridiculous and asinine, with that thank you for your involvements, and contributions I'm glad we've exposed me for my true fantasy.. Have a good day/night.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Double, because I am an enslaver..
edit on 7-5-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Oh, dear.

This didn’t go quite the way you hoped, did it?

For your information, I am a man. I am almost sixty years old and live in a country where patriarchal attitudes still hold sway. I believe there are very real differences between men and women and that true equality between them is impossible for old-fashioned biological reasons. I am not what you might call a conventional feminist.

Let me show you how things look from my perspective.

Arranged marriages are usual in my country. The consent of both contracted parties is required, but all kinds of coercion can be applied in the case of women. In the case of men, it rarely is unless the hopeful groom is a total wimp. He gets to choose. The woman doesn’t always; she is property, an asset to be invested and used for the enrichment of her family.

Although most wives nowadays are obliged to work out of economic necessity, their husbands would be horrified at the thought of being asked to share housework or childcare duties (though some may volunteer for the latter when it suits them). Women here, as is increasingly the case all over the world, are on average better educated than men, but career outcomes and salaries are hugely biased in favour of men despite this. And that’s just in the small modern economy; among the rural masses, the rice-farmers and fisherfolk, the old peasant verities survive almost unchanged. On the tea and rubber plantations that provide much of the country’s export earnings, the old attitudes likewise prevail, both in the manager’s bungalow and in the fieldworkers’ dormitories.

Even the unemployed send their wives out to work, often as wage-slaves in the Middle East, while they enjoy the masculine privilege of putting their feet up and ordering the womenfolk about. ‘Women’s liberation’ in my country has largely meant that many women now do a breadwinner’s work in addition to a housewife’s.

Yet my country is, by comparison with the rest of South Asia, a bastion of women’s rights and opportunities. We are often saluted by UN agencies, international NGOs and the like for our relative advancement in these areas. Our majority ethnic group has been famous in Asia since mediaeval times for the independence and assertiveness of its women. Yet, for all that, a women still can’t walk down a street in my country without being harassed, and any deviation from traditional ways of speaking, acting, dressing or courting result in ostracism and persecution. It is much worse in places like India and Pakistan, but it is bad enough here.

Abortion is illegal in my country — but since there is huge stigma attached to the public discussion of sex, family planning and contraception, widespread ignorance and lack of viable choices drive more than a thousand women a day (out of a population of twenty million) to undergo backstreet abortions. During the recently-concluded civil war, mass rape was sometimes used as a weapon of terror.

The legal age of consent here is sixteen — except among Muslims, where, for women only, it is twelve. This was a concession given to the Muslim community in colonial times when child marriage was customary, and any attempt to withdraw it now would be regarded as discrimination. Since Muslims are an oppressed minority in this country, the subject is highly sensitive.

But let’s not single Muslims out. Regardless of what race or religion a man belongs to, the usual ‘we’re superior’ attitude prevails in my country. This is the case even among the supposedly enlightened. Wife-beating is quite common, marital rape is not taken seriously and the police are proverbially reluctant to respond to reports of domestic violence. Men hugely outnumber women in Parliament and in politics, in the executive suites of the business sector and among the great and good of the land. Even if a rare woman breaks the glass ceiling, she continues to earn a fraction of what a man would earn in her position.

This is the reality in my country. That which prevails in the rest of the world is, on average, somewhat worse.

Such is the global patriarchy of which you approve — not having, I suspect, thought about it very far beyond the promptings of your own desire. I trust you are a very young man, and hope that you will learn better.

edit on 7/5/16 by Astyanax because: of ‘mic drop’

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Essentially I know you are joking but that actually sounds pretty nice aside from the not being allowed out. Then again if I were a mother I wouldn't have a whole lot of interest in going out because my whole life would be at home with my children and husband.

I just have some question for you, Technicality.

1) What's your favorite whiskey?

2) What is your position on when dinner should be prepared by?

3) Do you like your sandwiches cut in halves or triangles?

edit on 7-5-2016 by SomeDumbBroad because: Misspelled word

edit on 7-5-2016 by SomeDumbBroad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

1. Gentlemen jack

2. Flexible but by 7pm is nice

3. If you've got the curves I've got the angles..

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join