It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A couple issues that need mentioning.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

Last week I had to edit spelling 3 times in the short story section. Someone PM me and asked what I was doing and why so many edits. I was like its my crappy spelling. Lol
👍🏽👌🏽

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: BO XIAN

I can agree Bo. I'm just mentioning it because I've noticed some members abusing it to change the context of their posts...after they realize other members have proven them wrong, etc.

I can imagine cases where that would be rather unfitting.

However, in general, I don't have any big problem with folks learning on a thread and changing their ways or perspective to that extent. I DO think they need to note straightforwardly on the thread--that THAT IS what they have done.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: Pinke

Last week I had to edit spelling 3 times in the short story section. Someone PM me and asked what I was doing and why so many edits. I was like its my crappy spelling. Lol
👍🏽👌🏽

Is there a secret college turning out masses of posting nannys somewhere nearby?

Sigh.

Where's the grace and graciousness we all like to be on the receiving end of?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Happy May 5

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

edit on 5-5-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I can agree Bo. I'm just mentioning it because I've noticed some members abusing it to change the context of their posts...after they realize other members have proven them wrong, etc.

This. +1

I think, though, and one thing I try to do, is quote the post to which I'm replying. Then, it makes it harder for edits of the original post to...change the initial reality of the post.

ETA: And it preserves the original post in its true form.

edit on 5-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

This. +1

I think, though, and one thing I try to do, is quote the post to which I'm replying. Then, it makes it harder for edits of the original post to...change the initial reality of the post.

The quote script issue is my biggest concern. I really wish people would address that as well and not just focus on the edits.

But I thank you for understanding my point on the other issue.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The deluxe edit technique is when somebody edits a post 6 times and only one [edit by] shows at the bottom.

Can't figure out they do that one.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

This. +1

The quote script issue is my biggest concern. I really wish people would address that as well and not just focus on the edits.

But I thank you for understanding my point on the other issue.

I understand this too. Oftentimes I have wanted to quote a post that also quotes a post (for context), but the latter is left out even though the reply shows it's there. I've never looked at the script to see that it's simply an issue of one character that prevents this; but if I can look at the - and resolve this, thank you.

The issue in general, maybe, is that posts will get longer and longer with quote upon quote and usage issues. Maybe.

Yes, I see your other concern.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

My first issue is with the "quote" feature.

It does not occur every time the function is used, but sometimes I notice that when you click on the icon to quote another member, it will include an extra (less-than symbol) just before the end quote script. That causes the text outside of that quote to not appear in the post. The (less-than symbol) must be removed for the entire post to appear as intended.

Thanks.

I have noticed that, now I see the fix. When I have tried to go back and fix it, I get odd results. ie: I end up quoting myself and what I wanted to quote is nowhere to be found. I try to fix it again and nothing appears quoted.

I think it happens more when you click quote and you see not only the person's words you wanted to quote but also the words of the person they were responding to. Then it can be a mess.

It doesn't happen every time, but it is maddening. I give upn and give the reason : quoting is messing up.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yes, simply remove the lesser-than symbol and the quotes should appear as normal.

I wonder what is causing it and how it can be fixed. Yesterday or the day before I saw another member become frustrated by it and it really messed-up the flow of her argument.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The deluxe edit technique is when somebody edits a post 6 times and only one [edit by] shows at the bottom.

The edit text is removable when editing multiple times.

Perhaps that could also be changed.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

edit on 5-5-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

My first issue is with the "quote" feature. It does not occur every time the function is used, but sometimes I notice that when you click on the icon to quote another member, it will include an extra (less-than symbol) just before the end quote script. That causes the text outside of that quote to not appear in the post. The (less-than symbol) must be removed for the entire post to appear as intended

That's something I've never noticed, maybe because I've never had it happen. I just copy and paste the part I want and it works. I have unintentionally typed in the quote space, making my reply look part of the quote.
edit on 5-5-2016 by DAVID64 because: nothing nefarious - just a typo

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

My first issue is with the "quote" feature. It does not occur every time the function is used, but sometimes I notice that when you click on the icon to quote another member, it will include an extra (less-than symbol) just before the end quote script. That causes the text outside of that quote to not appear in the post. The (less-than symbol) must be removed for the entire post to appear as intended

That's something I've never noticed, maybe because I've never had it happen. I just copy and paste the part I want and it works. have unintentionally typed in the quote space, making my reply look part of the quote.

It only happens when you use the "quote" feature and it does not happen every time.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

That's as simple as scratching your nose, [all] the text in a posting box is removable, I do that by default to keep things tidy while amending spelling, compunction in general, or where the text may be confusing.
Otherwise, I will start off with a, "To add" in a new edit. Anyway you can use the keyboard, 'print screen' function in holding if you think you have an issue with that.
My only gripe is the differentials in the editing times, and possible 'Bumping'

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

I write in the short stories and I always have to edit my spelling. I see your point. Someone will say one thing and get a reply then edit their op to make the other person look bad!

Anybody that writes short stories for ATS should either have a spell check that works on ATS or use a writing program that has it and then upload their words to ATS. These days, there is no excuse not to have some form of spell check. It is what good form is all about, and some are free.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

The edit text is removable when editing multiple times.

Mostly that is the case, usually there is still an edit line when the post is renewed.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

My first issue is with the "quote" feature.

It does not occur every time the function is used, but sometimes I notice that when you click on the icon to quote another member, it will include an extra (less-than symbol) just before the end quote script. That causes the text outside of that quote to not appear in the post. The (less-than symbol) must be removed for the entire post to appear as intended.

Thank you! I've noticed that end result, but not the extra less-than symbol. Much appreciated!

My second issue is post edits.

I've noticed for some time now that some of our fellow members like to edit their posts multiple times, even after other members have repeatedly responded to that post. I am not beyond making mistakes and must make edits on my posts, but I've noticed it being abused to the point that it makes it difficult to accurately respond to some members without having to edit multiples times as well.

This explains much. I've noticed that comments don't always seem consistent or are somehow confusing... but I never paid attention to edits.

I don't know the answer to this issue.

I'm glad you pointed it out, but I don't know that there is an answer. Cheaters are gonna cheat. They'll find a way -- or make a way. Maybe we just need to pay attention and be aware it's happening... and keep that in mind when considering that poster's comments.

I've had to eat my words a few times. Sure it's humbling (and embarassing and frustrating and all that!), but I would much rather just admit it, learn from it, and move on. I sure wouldn't try to change the record.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I use the quote button frequently but never saw that happening.

Could you point to it the next time it happens? Maybe someone can understand what's happening by looking at the non-edited quote.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join