It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Limits E-Cigarettes, Cigars, Chewing Tobacco

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

The Food and Drug Administration released its long-awaited plan Thursday for regulating e-cigarettes and other tobacco products — and says it plans to ban their sale to anyone under 18.

USA: Health: Modified Electronic Cigarettes Create More Carcenogenic Vapor
View of different types of Electronic Cigarettes Sandy Huffaker / Corbis via Getty Images
The sweeping new rule gives FDA authority to regulate -- but not to ban -- all tobacco products, from e-cigarettes to cigars and hookahs.

Anti-tobacco advocacy groups had feared the FDA would exempt cigars from the final rule, which will be open for public comment before it becomes final.

The ban on sales to people under 18 will take effect when the rule becomes final in 90 days.

FDA Limits E-Cigarettes, Cigars, Chewing Tobacco

Well here we go. This has been lobbied for hard by tobacco companies all with skin in the game. E-Cig proponents have fought long and hard against this for many reasons.

The fight for control over nicotine delivery systems and the relevant tax monies that would be collected are at the root of this ruling. Sadly the E-cig groups and Vaping groups have lost. As cigarettes lost sales and states and federal coffers felt the pinch, the FDA stepped in to regulate.

time.com...

E-cigarettes, hookah tobacco and cigars are now officially under the purview of the FDA

E-cigarettes will be regulated as tobacco products, federal authorities announced on Thursday.

In a long-awaited ruling, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) finalized rules that give the agency authority to regulate all tobacco products including e-cigarettes, cigars, hookah tobacco and pipe tobacco, and more. Until now, e-cigarettes were not regulated by the FDA and there was no national law to prohibit the sale of e-cigarettes, hookah tobacco or cigars to people under 18.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Is it eighteen or twenty one? This AM I heard form the tube, the new minimum age is going to be twenty one.

Someone clarify…

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Some states are attempting to make the age to buy tobacco 21. this is a federal regulation that mandates it be at least 18 years old.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
No shock.
I used to enjoy a clove or two a few years back. But BIG TOBACCO put the kabosh on any flavoring other than menthol (thanks Obama...kidding but not). Indonesia was one of the biggest producers of kreteks, or clove cigarattes, and they bitched to the world trade organization, turns out, they won. But rather than allow sales in the states, they took a deal from the US to receive weaponry and computer systems for military purposes.

Big tobacco is still big tobacco, it doesn't matter what form...

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420
Thanks, so its up to states, then.

If they do that, a lot of people are going to pissed. Young adulthood, the last people you want to legislate more morality to.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Not sure on this one, as tobacco companies have been producing E-cig products.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
8 or 18 or 88, it's illegal here. You see, kids might think apple smelling juice is a drink, and drink it.

Oh sure they can eat a box of smokes.. no ones gives a toss then, or eat nicorettes all day, or patch themselves silly, or even smoke ciggies.. but not e-juice. cant have that. it's cordial for kids.

THE WHOLE WORLD IS RETARDED.

edit on 5-5-2016 by Parafitt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Is it eighteen or twenty one? This AM I heard form the tube, the new minimum age is going to be twenty one.

Someone clarify…

Starting in June the age to buy tobacco in California will be 21.

It's hilarious the only counter argument I see is that you can serve and die your country but you can't buy a cigarette. Well, if the idiots would just read the bill they would realize that military personnel are exempt from the bill and they can buy all the cigarettes they please.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Already 18 here in England.
I see they're lying and fear mongering with that tired old statement."Modified Electronic Cigarettes Create More Carcenogenic Vapor" knowing full well that only when heated with over 6 volts does e juice produce carcinogenic compounds, which nobody does.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
No shock.
I used to enjoy a clove or two a few years back. But BIG TOBACCO put the kabosh on any flavoring other than menthol (thanks Obama...kidding but not). Indonesia was one of the biggest producers of kreteks, or clove cigarattes, and they bitched to the world trade organization, turns out, they won. But rather than allow sales in the states, they took a deal from the US to receive weaponry and computer systems for military purposes.

Big tobacco is still big tobacco, it doesn't matter what form...

Don't get me started! SOB's completely trashed my life with that deal. I LOVE my kreteks!!! SOBBING!!!
Life hasn't been the same since. The Djarum cigars suck.

The big deal with the FDA regulating e-products is...
DC already taxes e-liquids ect at an additional 40%.
This will be additional taxes for both consumers and small businesses. It adds another layer of regulation and since no regulation is free we'll all be paying for it. As regular cigarettes sales went down so did all the tax revenue from them. For awhile as Vaping took off as an alternative more tax revenue was lost. Not only do the Feds depend on this money while telling us we are awful neanderthals for smoking, States and many programs also depend on this tax money rolling in.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Someone clarify…

California has just raised the age to 21

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

They have been, however many e-juice companies popped up giving them a run for their money. Also cigars haven't been taxed in a lovely little loop-hole that now will be addressed, as well as hookah products and roll-your-own products. For people trying to save money or Vaping to quit cigs, we're now about to be taxed out the wazoo for the privilege.

edit on 5-5-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

If I want to kill my lungs, I should be able to do so unregulated!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Won't every comply.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I use a vape unit as a comfortable and marginally safer option to reduce and remove nicotine from my life - i know for a fact that some e-liquids can contain a HUGE amount of nicotine compared to traditional cigarettes - so much so that the UK banned the higher concentrations from being sold. Im not sure exactly what the limit is but 36mg is the strongest ive seen and is for the heaviest of smokers - ive never used higher than 24, which i didnt like and was too strong for me so i started on 16 and over 6 months reduced to 3 and 0 - im almost done!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

If they do that, a lot of people are going to pissed. Young adulthood, the last people you want to legislate more morality to.

Young adults don't vote so no one cares if they are angry.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

26mg here is the strongest unless you buy some independently made. Most people start with that and work their way down to zero.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Did you notice the words used in the OP? " modified electronic cigarette ". That means every e cigg big tobacco does not make. It has long been thought that big tobacco only got into the game for two reasons. The first was to create a horrible e cig that would make users go back to normal cigarettes and the second to get e cigs banned out right. The thinking of the last one was that the FDA would come down hard if big tobacco started selling a new tobacco product.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
a reply to: Biigs

26mg here is the strongest unless you buy some independently made. Most people start with that and work their way down to zero.

24mg is the standard max here too, on Vancouver Island. However you can find retailers online selling a flavorless base that is 100mg or higher. I use this to make my own juice. Surprisingly easy, and cuts the cost in 1/10

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

O_oooo bonus points to you for making your own juice!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join