It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Intolerance In Indonesia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Yes, it seems I am missing the point, hence my request for clarification in my initial post. What is the point?

If you say the point can only be understood by people who have been to Indonesia, then I'm not sure a worldwide public forum was the best place to mention it. If not, then please clarify?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: babloyi

It may be more than just the azan. Some of these places blast the prayers and sermons over external speakers too. Like a charity car wash, only the music is not so good.

I feel for the OP. I don't live in Indonesia but it's the same all over multicultural Asia. Religious display, competition and provocation in the form of loud, inconvenience-causing festivals and processions are an old tactic; in fact, one such confrontation forms an important part of the action in E.M. Forster's A Passage to India.

The colonial authorities in Forster's time never had to deal with modern 'sound reinforcement technology'. Back when I was a baby dinosaur the signature sounds of the different faiths were pleasant to the ear: the muezzin called from his minaret with cries of great beauty, the Buddhist monks' chanting was a pleasant hum on the night air, and in the church and the Hindu temple they rang the bells. They still do the same, but now they do it over kilowatt PA systems.

And yes, they are doing it to annoy. And, where they have the upper hand, to oppress.

edit on 8/5/16 by Astyanax because: of a qualification

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

originally posted by: Astyanax
It may be more than just the azan.

In that specific situation, I understand how that could be annoying, and possibly even intolerant towards other religions (depending on the sermon). I've noticed in recent years quite a few muslim countries banned the use of the mosque loudspeakers for anything other than the call to prayer itself (and the occasional community information, like a death announcement).

new topics

<< 1   >>

join